2JZGTE MKIII Swap Info

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
You probably won't be able to get the mk3 coolant temp gauge to work. Your best bet is to get an aftermarket coolant temp sensor. Don't remove the 2JZ coolant temp sensor as it will effect how your engine runs.
Look at some wiring pinouts in the tsrm and you will understand why it is so hard to get the mk3 gauge to work

frythan

Aug 11, 2012
Clearfield Utah
I'm thinking about getting a 1990 that has no engine and having a shop do the swap for me. Or getting a 1988 that has been kept up for 23 years. Or a Celica. GAH I can't decide.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
There are two coolant sensors on the 2JZGTE. One goes to the gauge and one to the engine management. The one to the gauge works fine with the MA70 cluster. But I think you can actually use the original one from the 7M.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Wiki said:
VVT-i, or Variable Valve Timing with intelligence, is an automobile variable valve timing technology developed by Toyota, similar in performance to the BMW's VANOS. The Toyota VVT-i system replaces the Toyota VVT offered starting in 24 December 1991 on the 5-valve per cylinder 4A-GE engine. The VVT system is a 2-stage hydraulically controlled cam phasing system. The Toyota motors CEO has been reported to have said, "VVT is the heart of every modern Toyota!"[citation needed]

VVT-i, introduced in 1996, varies the timing of the intake valves by adjusting the relationship between the camshaft drive (belt, scissor-gear or chain) and intake camshaft. Engine oil pressure is applied to an actuator to adjust the camshaft position. Adjustments in the overlap time between the exhaust valve closing and intake valve opening result in improved engine efficiency.[1] Variants of the system, including VVTL-i, Dual VVT-i, VVT-iE, and Valvematic, have followed.

[video=youtube;H-ZhbnJ3ZTI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ZhbnJ3ZTI[/video]

And a great read on 2JZ engines with VVTI...

http://www.2jzgarage.com/2012/02/2jzgte-vvti-information/

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello everyone, I may have missed a few things or not quite understand some stuff so just to clear things up I would like to know a few things. I am getting a 2JZ-GE VVTI a complete swap with harness, ecu, and tranny. What I am worried about is the drive shaft, can I use the stock drive shaft or do I have to get a different one along with the LSD? I am new to swapping motors, this is my first, so forgive me for asking questions that are already in the thread but it helps me fully understand things if I ask my own questions and get a straight answer instead of shifting through a lot of info. I do know for a JZ swap you need a JZ bellhousing, flywheel, and motor mounts or motor mount adapters. I am still in the process of researching but this week has been and is going to be hectic, so I would greatly appreciate you guys helping me out with straight answers.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
After lots of research it seems that wiring up a 2jzge vvti to a 7mgte mk3 is hell, would it be better to just get a 2jzgte or all you do is send off the 2jzge and 7mgte wiring harnesses to get modified?

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
Doat;1935143 said:
After lots of research it seems that wiring up a 2jzge vvti to a 7mgte mk3 is hell, would it be better to just get a 2jzgte
dosnt matter have Dr. Tweek make a whole new harnesses, or marry the two together.

Doat;1935143 said:
or all you do is send off the 2jzge and 7mgte wiring harnesses to get modified?
same as above.

Supralove93

Nov 20, 2012
Delaware
I have a question. I have an 87 supra non-turbo. Is it true that I cant swap it for a 2jz because of the engine were different for my year?

Supra800

Sep 19, 2012
Pa
Hi I need help with my wireing harness and no one seems to Be able to help me and I don't want to spend $1400 on a new wireing harness,
I have a 90 supra 7mgte r154 car and put a 2jzgte vvti aristo motor in, I've bin messing with this for a year, I need to know what gets hooked up where on the harness to make the car drivable, pleasee help

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
Haven't read every single post in this thread, but just a couple of comments . . .

It's certainly much easier if you get a 2JZ engine (and ECU) from a Mk4 Supra, along with all the ancillaries

The Mk3 Temperature Gauge sender fits in the 2JZ block - I swapped mine so I knew the gauge would read correctly