2JZGTE MKIII Swap Info

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I can't imagine ECU's for 2jz's are all that hard to pick up these days, just gotta find one that will work for your application. Honestly, I'm about 98% sure that I'm gonna be going standalone off the bat. I really don't feel like dealing with piggy backs, and for a 'few dollars more'... :)

yellow munson

Nov 25, 2008
tn
so lets say I got aristo motor

want to stay with auto

using stock auto tranny with 2jzge auto bell housing.

knowing 2jz aristo tranny are controlled by the ecu, so how does it work on wiring.

using 2jzgte aristo auto ecu, with 7m tranny. does anyone know answer to this.

also is there any difference on NA/turbo tranny difference on 7m like on 2jz?

te72;1168753 said:
I can't imagine ECU's for 2jz's are all that hard to pick up these days, just gotta find one that will work for your application. Honestly, I'm about 98% sure that I'm gonna be going standalone off the bat. I really don't feel like dealing with piggy backs, and for a 'few dollars more'... :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
First off, the auto (A340) and 5 speed (n/a, W58) transmissions on Mk3's and Mk4's are very similar, if not the same. The only difference is the turbo cars, where the Mk3 had a 5 speed (R154) and the Mk4 had a 6 speed (V160, I believe).

As far as your wiring goes, I'm not all that sure you would need to change a whole lot, but that's far from my area of expertise. Don't expect your auto tranny to hold a whole lot more (than stock) power though, at least not if it's a stock transmission...

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
So the aristo comes with the mid-sump, along with any 2jz vehicle other then the supra..If I were to get a Supra 2jz(jdm or us) I would not need to change up the oil pan? Im thinking yes,but just making sure..

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Aristo has a Front sump pan.

The Supra (MKIV or JZA70) has a rear sump pan. The SC300 also has a rear sump pan (NA, so drain isn't tapped, but is stamped.) A Mid sump pan Can work with the A70 supra I've heard but its really close to the cross memeber.

Also, for doing the wiring on an Aristo Harness your self, reference this thread. (for someone to add to the first post)
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59181&page=4&highlight=Wiring+Peer+Review

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
Could i use the stock harness with stock automatic ecu of the 2jz aristo? i dont want to keep 7M, i have read 2jz ecu is way more better than ours, sorry for the question, i want to do my swap and i am searching, i am running a map ecu, i guess i cuold use it with the auto ecu of the aristo, is that ok? would the transsminsion code the ecu would trigger affect in horse power? is there a need of the 1jz aluminum flywhell? could i use the stock flywhell of the 1jz?

rob13

Mar 31, 2008
canada
Could you please clearify one thing for me, if you're doing a 2J swap with R154 with 1J bell housing, an automatic computer from Aristo would that work even though the car is manual?

suprajeff

Jul 27, 2007
toccoa,ga
have a question,i noticed the 2jz i got has traction control written on the throttle body,i am wondering what needs to be done to convert it to a regular throttle body,i am thinking of running aem standalone,would this be a problem?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
suprajeff;1229981 said:
have a question,i noticed the 2jz i got has traction control written on the throttle body,i am wondering what needs to be done to convert it to a regular throttle body,i am thinking of running aem standalone,would this be a problem?

Nothing needs to be done. If you mean remove the trac plate from the TB then look on Supraforums for writeups.

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Know of any DP that are made for a 2jzgte in a MkIII? if not, what is one that will fit as close as possible, with the stock twins

AJK

Oct 28, 2007
Calgary
Wondering if anyone knows which wires splice to which for the alternator plug. (1988 MA70 --> Aristo 2jzgte) rectangle alternator plug*

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
AJK;1238006 said:
Wondering if anyone knows which wires splice to which for the alternator plug. (1988 MA70 --> Aristo 2jzgte) rectangle alternator plug*

It should plug right in, All I had to do was extend mine. I dunno why yours would be a different shape.

AJK

Oct 28, 2007
Calgary
D34DC311;1238008 said:
It should plug right in, All I had to do was extend mine. I dunno why yours would be a different shape.

My luck I guess. Can anyone help me out?

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
ok guys here are a few questions that i have concerning the swap, i just bought an 89 supra and im commencing the dissasembling process. A friend of mine had a separate motor fully built from the bottom up and is removing his usdm 2jzgte from his 98 quicksilver supra.Hes selling me the swap for an awesome price, but the motor comes with an automatic transmission, and a jdm harness, so i have a few questions.

Does this mean i dont need a new oil pan?
Does this mean i dont need to buy the water pump?
Hes selling me the motor with an automatic transmission, but is giving me a jdm harness with the car, not the one that he currently has in the car, will this harness work with my w58 tranny(if i get the 7mgte bellhousing of course).

thanks for your help in adavance!!!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
k20maniac;1248667 said:
ok guys here are a few questions that i have concerning the swap, i just bought an 89 supra and im commencing the dissasembling process. A friend of mine had a separate motor fully built from the bottom up and is removing his usdm 2jzgte from his 98 quicksilver supra.Hes selling me the swap for an awesome price, but the motor comes with an automatic transmission, and a jdm harness, so i have a few questions.

Does this mean i dont need a new oil pan?
Does this mean i dont need to buy the water pump?
Hes selling me the motor with an automatic transmission, but is giving me a jdm harness with the car, not the one that he currently has in the car, will this harness work with my w58 tranny(if i get the 7mgte bellhousing of course).

thanks for your help in adavance!!!
yes
yes
why would you use a fully built motor on a w58? it can be made to work but my friends didnt last long on a stock aristo 2jz

i guess i would wonder if you are going MAP or MAF or what. jdm=map usdm=maf

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
oh wow i hadnt thought of that, and my friend is the one putting a fully built motor in his car, im putting his stock 2j in my car.

so i guess i should get ahold of dr tweak before i send in an 89 n/a harness and the jdm 2jz harness for a us spec motor...