2JZGTE MKIII Swap Info

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
te72;1131299 said:
Is there a thread somewhere I can read up on how much/where you have to bang the firewall, or perhaps could you point it out on your picture? I can't even tell where you were hitting, to be honest.

Heres where I hit the firewall. I moved it in ~ 1/2" (maybe less, dont remember, was 2 years ago). Fits fine and was able to pull the trans w/ the engine in the car (have to lean the engine back to get to the top bolts)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1131883_1.jpg

haha yea, the alltracs are my new toys! :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Thank you sir :)

Wouldn't mind an All-Trac myself, considering all the dirt roads around here... but I think an 84 p-type might be in my very new future, so this jz project might be pushed back a month or so. Not like I'll be up to much anyway, with winter coming...

jdmtuner1986

Aug 24, 2008
PHOENIX
Ok. I'm Kinda new to the game here. How complicated is the 2jz 87 turbo for someone like me with just a couple of buddies who know just a fair amount about the supra. i mean, i just dont wanna get jump into a project and not be able to finish.

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Well, with the way everything can be bought premade, I dont see it being too hard. The hardest part is supposedly the wiring, but you can send your harnesses out to Dr Tweak and he will mate the 2 and make a plug n play harness.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
jdmtuner1986;1135503 said:
Ok. I'm Kinda new to the game here. How complicated is the 2jz 87 turbo for someone like me with just a couple of buddies who know just a fair amount about the supra. i mean, i just dont wanna get jump into a project and not be able to finish.

The hardest part is making sure you have everything you need.
The rest is just patients, labor, and looking stuff up.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
D34DC311;1136353 said:
The hardest part is making sure you have everything you need.
The rest is just patients, labor, and looking stuff up.

...And affording all the gas for the trips to the parts store for the things you've forgotten :biglaugh:

I'd say that if you have the mechanical ability to pull a motor and put one back in, you'd be fine. You have a forum with a WEALTH of information and advice right at your fingertips. The wiring is probably going to be the biggest obstacle unless you happen to be well learned in electrical knowledge, but Dr Tweak has you covered if not. From what I understand, it's well worth the money if you're unsure :)

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
te72;1136608 said:
...And affording all the gas for the trips to the parts store for the things you've forgotten :biglaugh:

I'd say that if you have the mechanical ability to pull a motor and put one back in, you'd be fine. You have a forum with a WEALTH of information and advice right at your fingertips. The wiring is probably going to be the biggest obstacle unless you happen to be well learned in electrical knowledge, but Dr Tweak has you covered if not. From what I understand, it's well worth the money if you're unsure :)

LOL, yea I didn't add that cost in.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
from what I've been told (as i've been interested in a 2jz swap myself) is that you could go 2jzge-t with the 87-88 wiring harness and ecu. idk if the 7mgte harness/ecu would work with the 2jzgte (single turbo). if in doubt, dr tweak is your best option

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
user_error;1140877 said:
will the stock 2jz oil pan work with a mk3?

Ok, seriously? Are you really going to come in here and ask something THAT simple, and that easy to find??

Heads up if your not willing to even take the effort to search for that....my advice is don't even think about doing a 2jz swap.

user_error

Sep 20, 2008
ohio
D34DC311;1140944 said:
Ok, seriously? Are you really going to come in here and ask something THAT simple, and that easy to find??

Heads up if your not willing to even take the effort to search for that....my advice is don't even think about doing a 2jz swap.

a simple yes or no would have sufficed also.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Yes or no would have been sufficient, but seriously. Search first.
To answer your question, if you mean a 2JZ oil pan on a 7M, no. Aristo 2J oil pan, no. You need a rear sump oil pan

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
SimpleMKIII;1162632 said:
Wait a minute. I need a 1jzgte ignitor?? Why doesnet the 2jzgte one work in the mkIII??

From my understanding they are one in the same, but always check your part numbers ;)

SimpleMKIII

Oct 17, 2008
Riverside, Ca
All i know is the ignitor came off the Aristo I got the motor from. All I read was -1J Ignitor - $130 Driftmotion.com (comes with motor, but if the motor you order does not come with one, you can get one new). That statement needs to be updated if its the same. If the motor doesnt come with a 1jz ignitor....

atr91

Oct 20, 2008
Newyork
well say if you buy an engine and it doesnt come with an ecu at all then that basically means im fucked lol because im getting a 2jz from a junk yard and fixing it up....where is the best place to get a 2jz wiring harness wit a ecu:aigo:

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
atr91;1167938 said:
well say if you buy an engine and it doesnt come with an ecu at all then that basically means im fucked lol because im getting a 2jz from a junk yard and fixing it up....where is the best place to get a 2jz wiring harness wit a ecu:aigo:

Another junk yard, ebay, or champion toyota, expect to pay some money.