2008 Supra MKIII - Project 1BYDFALT

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
I finished installing the subwoofer enclosure as well as installing the covers for the hatch area. I've tried to take every precaution to avoid rattling. There's almost nothing more annoying to me than a squeaky, rattling interior. This of course adds a lot more work into the project and if any of you are thinking of doing this, I would suggest you have a lot of patience and measure several times, otherwise you may not achieve the desired result. I had to replace the panels several times.

Here's the final product. I will be cutting up the cover/lid that goes in front of the woofer and covering it in fabric, similar to what you would get at home or maybe OEM speaker covers. I also put a strip of insulation around the edge to eliminate rattle noise.

IMG_0687_SMALL.jpg

I started by measuring out the panels and cutting the excess.

IMG_0680_SMALL.jpg

Then marked the contact surface and laid a line of insulating foam to prevent noises.

IMG_0681_SMALL.jpg

IMG_0682_SMALL.jpg

After reinstalling the q-panel cover, you can see the contact surface resting on the foam insulation I laid out. This should definitely prevent it from generating any kind of squeak or rattling noise.

IMG_0683_SMALL.jpg

I've also installed insulating foam on the tail light covers as well. Again, there's a lot of trial & error, measuring, cutting, trimming involved so just take your time to do it right.

IMG_0688_SMALL.jpg

The hatch area is not fully assembled with the exception of the carpet.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Wow looks great, do you think there is any way to fit a ten inch subwoofer in that location?

Where are you planning on putting your battery and your amplifiers?

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
HKS_TRD;1862826 said:
Wow looks great, do you think there is any way to fit a ten inch subwoofer in that location?

Where are you planning on putting your battery and your amplifiers?

You can fit a 10", but not without cutting the metal around it and the plastic panel would have to be cut as well. I have 2 12" Savage Subwoofers that I was going to use in the hatch area, but changed my mind. I think this 8" along with well tuned 2 & 3 way speakers all-around would do just fine.

As far as the Battery, I don't have one yet and haven't made a final decision on which kind I'm using. I'm waiting until I figure out some deciding factors.

The amps will be placed under hatch platform above the spare tire.

What kind of audio system are you going with Dan?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
buckshotglass;1862829 said:
I was wondering that too, I'm getting two 10" subs tomorrow...
Looking good Mig!

Those new subs are going to look great on your bike Dave................:evil2:

Miguel, things are going ok. Just work work work at the moment. I crank my car every two or three weeks just to make sure it still runs..........:nono:

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
suprahero;1862849 said:
Those new subs are going to look great on your bike Dave................:evil2:

Miguel, things are going ok. Just work work work at the moment. I crank my car every two or three weeks just to make sure it still runs..........:nono:

Hey, in this economy, work work work sounds good to me! :D

buckshotglass;1862851 said:
I was planning to bring the box home on the bike, I kid you not. I can't pass up free subs!

I swear, you get the coolest FREE stuff ever!

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Supraholics;1862842 said:
You can fit a 10", but not without cutting the metal around it and the plastic panel would have to be cut as well. I have 2 12" Savage Subwoofers that I was going to use in the hatch area, but changed my mind. I think this 8" along with well tuned 2 & 3 way speakers all-around would do just fine.

As far as the Battery, I don't have one yet and haven't made a final decision on which kind I'm using. I'm waiting until I figure out some deciding factors.

The amps will be placed under hatch platform above the spare tire.

What kind of audio system are you going with Dan?

I haven't got any concrete ideas on audio system yet, plenty of time to worry about that but like to explore ideas in advance.
About the only things I do plan to keep at this stage are the old Pioneer 2DIN head unit, the Polk DB501 and 351s in the rear, possibly one or both of my amps and maybe the 10 inch sub I had which may be in the way of where the battery is going to go

The JDM MA-70 does not have the platform in the rear hatch, the carpet just sits right on the metal with a hump in it to clear the spare wheel, I'd love to change to the platform and put my amps in the boot but not sure how hard it would be to get the parts let alone ship something that size. Carpet could be custom made I guess

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
HKS_TRD;1863017 said:
I haven't got any concrete ideas on audio system yet, plenty of time to worry about that but like to explore ideas in advance.
About the only things I do plan to keep at this stage are the old Pioneer 2DIN head unit, the Polk DB501 and 351s in the rear, possibly one or both of my amps and maybe the 10 inch sub I had which may be in the way of where the battery is going to go

The JDM MA-70 does not have the platform in the rear hatch, the carpet just sits right on the metal with a hump in it to clear the spare wheel, I'd love to change to the platform and put my amps in the boot but not sure how hard it would be to get the parts let alone ship something that size. Carpet could be custom made I guess

If I'm able to use amps small enough in size, I may just get rid of the platform and do a custom carpet. I'm going with a skinny spare tire anyways. Where are you placing your battery?

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
I'm not too sure where I am placing the battery yet, I do know I want to go with a dry cell and may not need a battery box but will see how it all pans out

I have my hands full with the other end of the car at the moment!

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Just doing some test fitting. Thanks to my good friend Dan for hooking me up with this MINT, RARE HKS EAC-T. It even came in its original package and with instructions! ::w00t::

p8100286.jpg

p8100288.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Wow! That is sexy Miguel. It's the small things like that, that will really set your car apart............a long with all the big things like that.........lol

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Wow its great to see that HKS TEMS find a home outside of its box!

The interior pieces look great, really tempting me to re-color all my interior pieces now .....

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
HKS_TRD;1866839 said:
Wow its great to see that HKS TEMS find a home outside of its box!

The interior pieces look great, really tempting me to re-color all my interior pieces now .....

It sure does! Looks even better in person. I'm sure you know that LOL.

If you decide to paint your interior, let me know if you need help/advice/etc... I'm here to help where I can.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
rodel;1867495 said:
Very nice build!

Thank you sir!

Got a few minutes last week, so installed my front door speakers. I put a layer of thin insulating foam around the rim, just to decrease/prevent unwanted vibrations.

IMG_0753_SMALL.JPG

I'm adding an additional Infinity tweeter on top of the speaker. I'll add a capacitor to set the sound range. The tweeter isn't installed yet, just sitting there.

IMG_0756_SMALL.JPG