Turbo-A about to have it's heart removed

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
yeah dan the aussie dollar is worthless, i'm patient though i'll wait until i get the clutch sorted and get the gearbox and engine fitted back in and see how i am at the time for funds otherwise i'll stick with the ct26-A version.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Just a couple of updates guys, I've been swapping over bits from one motor to the other to keep the sensor wires happy and also swapped the sumps and pickups as the one i used for the cressida had a front sump, supra obviously a mid sump. (also swapped dipstick positions.)
Is the turbo-A sump any different to a standard 7mgte sump that anyone can see? I've never had a stock sump before lol.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Clutch is off to be rebuilt and hopefully in the next couple of weeks the car will be back on the road minus my dream turbo which will have to wait a little while as i spent my money on a daily ( second project of mine)
Cbr250rr i built from frame and motor up. Nothing special just a lot of fun.
p1282428_1.jpg

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Thanks Les, it was pretty easy and it's not fully enclosed, just in the places i want it to be. Shame your not closer i'd give you a hand !

Thanks Ian, i wasn't sure as i hadn't had a mid sump before, all my 7m swaps were front sump.

Okay for a few updates, i pulled apart the stock turbo-a and didn't find anything special inside, except it was in better condition than i thought internally although the walls in the cylinder have a few wear spots. The valve stem seals that were a generic brand also seemed to be leaking pretty badly, and one cylinder was very black and full of soot.
I can confirm the turbo-a's used a 6m crank and will check the cams specs this week if i get a chance.
If anyone wants a pic of anything while it's apart let me know, i'll probably rebuild it soon.

Mk3Les

wiseco7mgt;1283154 said:
Thanks Les, it was pretty easy and it's not fully enclosed, just in the places i want it to be. Shame your not closer i'd give you a hand !

Thanks Ian, i wasn't sure as i hadn't had a mid sump before, all my 7m swaps were front sump.

Okay for a few updates, i pulled apart the stock turbo-a and didn't find anything special inside, except it was in better condition than i thought internally although the walls in the cylinder have a few wear spots. The valve stem seals that were a generic brand also seemed to be leaking pretty badly, and one cylinder was very black and full of soot.
I can confirm the turbo-a's used a 6m crank and will check the cams specs this week if i get a chance.
If anyone wants a pic of anything while it's apart let me know, i'll probably rebuild it soon.

Mate thats what I like about it, simple just a few bends cut here and there and off you go :) best of all its gonna work!

It is a shame your not closer but I'll be alright, I'll be starting my own build thread in about a month ;) I just dont want to say too much just yet Ive had too many false starts.

What plans do you have for the "turbo-A" motor?

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
So another weekend goes by and i'm still waiting on my clutch which is at extreme clutches having a full rebuild, so hopefully this week ill have it and i'll install straight away as i have everything else i need ( i think).
I did i little painting on a few items which i'll post up once there on the motor and also made my own pillar pod setup useing a stock pod and a fibreglass custom surround which i made, i'll get a pick of that installed as it looks heaps better with the gauges lit up.
Also pulled out the old oil cooler and fitted my new large speco one, pics to come.
The next project this week is to build a box for my Alpine v12 sub that suits the car without being totally gay ricer..i have some plans but am constantly changing them so i'll post up the initial test fit once i knock it up.

Kwan

Jan 4, 2007
South Australia
I'm a Turbo-A owner in SA. It's good to hear that people out there still know what a Turbo-A is! Usually i get the reaction of what is that? and they come to the conclusion of it being an A80. your car looks very neat and i'm glad there are others that are enthusiastic about thier cars.

I took my car out on the track but spun a bearing so it's in the process of a rebuild right now. i though the head gasket would go first as it's known for it. I've already removed the drive shaft, exhaust, gearbox and motor now just waiting on parts. I hope your build goes well.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Hope your build goes well too, start up a thread on it and share with others, they are harder to find than they used to be....

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Kwan;1289012 said:
I'm a Turbo-A owner in SA. It's good to hear that people out there still know what a Turbo-A is! Usually i get the reaction of what is that? and they come to the conclusion of it being an A80. your car looks very neat and i'm glad there are others that are enthusiastic about thier cars.

I took my car out on the track but spun a bearing so it's in the process of a rebuild right now. i though the head gasket would go first as it's known for it. I've already removed the drive shaft, exhaust, gearbox and motor now just waiting on parts. I hope your build goes well.

Welcome to another SA Member! Not sure if we have ever met.

Bummer on the bearing but good to see you are not giving up on the 7M yet.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
hks_trd;1289017 said:
Cars like this motivate me to forge ahead with mine

Tuff car, look forward to seeing your pics

Thanks Dan but it's not overly tough , yet.! I'll concentrate on a good tune first then the hp will come later if i need a bigger rush.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Just got a call from Extreme and the pressure plate will be upgraded to suit future needs and the clutch disc will now be a 6 puck ceramic which will hold my meager power goals. They were great to talk to and claim to have it done early this week and sent off to me so i'll maybe have it by this weekend to fit engine and gearbox to car.
hooray:biglaugh: