Turbo-A about to have it's heart removed

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Finally clutch arrived so the build will be full swing this weekend.
p1296402_1.jpg

Should hold my meager goals easily with a bit of headroom for improvement.
The flywheel will be machined tomorrow if i can twist my machinists arm to put it ahead of the other jobs lined up.lol.
Here's the pillar pod fitted ready for paint, the original paint i had for it dried way to light.
p1296402_2.jpg

This weekend my goal will be to drop the motor and tranny in and start putting all the bits back together.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Measured the turbo-A camshafts and they are as follows:
Inlet (h)38.25mm (w)30.80mm =7.5mm(0.295 inches lift)
Exhaust (h)38.25mm (w)30.80mm =7.5mm(0.295 inches lift)*note these measurements were taken with a digital vernier caliper to the best of my ability and a average was taken across all lobes.
interesting figures considering stock usdm cams had a 0.297 lift and in my opinion proof that turbo-a's didn't have special cams at all like most turbo-a owners will claim, just stocko's.....
here's the lift for brian crowers as reference.
Adv. Dur. Dur @ .050 Lift (in) Lift (mm) Kit #
BCo321 264°/264° 220°/220° .336"/.336" 8.53/8.53 BC0320
BCo322 272°/272° 226°/226° .342"/.342" 8.68/8.68 BC0320
BCo323 280°/280° 232°/232° .372"/.372" 9.45/9.45 BC0320
Stock 256°/256° 201°/201° .297"/.297" 7.54/7.54

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
IJ.;1298147 said:
Didn't think they had different cams at all Pete?

The reason i posted this up was on Turbo-a net they have the run down on what the turbo-a differences are compared to a stock supra.
they claim different cams and trd headgasket blah blah blah but so far most of there claims have been rubbish.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Ah yes that makes a lot of sense, the power difference between the turbo-a and a stock jap version could easily be explained considering they had a larger intercooler, high flowed turbo and map based ecu that hit fuel cut at 14psi.
Although i havent as yet tested the injectors so i cant comment on that.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
wiseco7mgt;1298156 said:
The reason i posted this up was on Turbo-a net they have the run down on what the turbo-a differences are compared to a stock supra.
they claim different cams and trd headgasket blah blah blah but so far most of there claims have been rubbish.

There is/was alot of misinformation on that site.

Like IJ said there is alot of confusion between Group A and Turbo A, they are 2 completely different animals.

I am 99.99% sure the injectors are same as a regular 7M-GTE.

As for the camshafts, I think that it run the same cams as an N/A? I know they were nothing fancy either way.

Its good to see your car coming along!

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Thanks dan, i can measure a set of n/a cams for reference as i have two sets of them in my shed. Although the turbo-a engine never had the mid range punch that the n/a cams used to give so it may not even have them.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Hmm that may be due to the different size turbo?

N/A cams were only different in certain years anyway werent they?

I will have a look in the JDM EPC when I get a chance

Anyway there are alot of misconceptions about the Turbo A. IIRC the shocks in it werent Bilstein either.

A guy in Japan who has had a few posted on turboA.net and he really knew his stuff, after he turned up on the thread I then posted what I knew about the car and we ended up talking off the forum. He was the guy that I got the brand new shift knob and steering wheel centre pad from.

Sadly the forum is closed as he posted alot of good info in that thread including all the spring rates. I think he said that the Turbo A chasssis numbers were not all sequential either.

What was your power goal again?

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Actually mine had bilsteins factory so I'm wondering if it was a factory option? now has Tein coilovers.. My power goals are only 350rwhp with the factory High flow ct26 (if it makes it) and once its all tuned nice i'll step up to a bigger single turbo. My final power goal on this block is 450-500rwhp give or take a few either way, I'm not that worried about having any more h.p than that or I'll just get caught up in the h.p pissing matches and spend more money on the car than i need to.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
I have a feeling the previous owner bought the jap parts from the same guy, i think he said the momo gear knob was $270. or thereabouts. He also bought new inner guards and a few other bits...Bloody expensive

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Engine and tranny is in, look past the dirtiness of it all it'll need a good wash once it's all finished. Now the easy bit of bolting all the bits back on.Yesterday i had my brother whom i hadn't seen in ages just turn up for a visit so i didn't get any work done. We had drinks instead..!today i'll bolt a few goodies on and then spend the rest of the day with the wife and kids, gotta get the priorities right....:nono:lol
p1299144_1.jpg

Last edited:

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
rofl! remember the quote from martin Lawrence in "Bad boys" .
Mike Lowrey: What are you talking about, man? You sleep with a beautiful woman everyday.
Marcus Burnett: I'm married. That's what married means. It means you sleep together, but you can't get none.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
So i did some more today hooked up a few hoses but haven't rushed as i realized i'm short the stock ct26 turbo drain/feed line, as i'm no longer using the garrett setup. So i'll either make up a custom job or just track down a stocko, either way the car won't be on the road till next week. I found a place to put my remote filter which works well for me, i hate fiddly oil filter removal.I welded a few 12mm nuts to the tow hook and mounted it high enough to stay safe and out of trouble.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Mk3Les;1304068 said:
I had a chat to Dan today, I'll see what I can do about the oil/water lines ;)
looks like things are coming along very nicely.

Hi Les, progress is slower than i would've liked due to every time i start work on the car someone turns up to visit lol, yeah Dan mentioned you may have a spare if not don't worry ill make one up monday.
Tomorrow i should be all finished minus the turbo so i'll update engine bay pics then.