Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
ok thanks for helping me. i realized i am reading the chart wrong. i didnt realize that they show a range not only the shown numbers. i think work meisters are a little out of my price range but that doesnt mean that i didnt learn anything. thanks

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
SupraMedical68;1917208 said:
Rodel, you used to have a set of RPF1s right? How would a set of 18x8.5 30 offset with 245/40/18 tires all around fit? Would the fenders require any rolling at all?

I've never had RPF1. But if would be a good idea to roll the front fender with 18x8.5+30 in the front, on a lowered car. No need to roll the rear.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Wilcox;1917121 said:
so more offset is sunk in, less offset is sticking out right? what are the specs for our stock wheels?

The higher number, the higher the offset. The higher the offset, the more it will be inside the wheel well.

Stock MK3's are 16x7 +37

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
rodel;1917234 said:
The higher number, the higher the offset. The higher the offset, the more it will be inside the wheel well.

Stock MK3's are 16x7 +37

I thought you had a set at one point.

I may try the RPF1s 18x8.5s and see how they hold up without a roll. I'm guessing I'll be forced to into rolling my fenders.

I'm also thinking about the XXR 527, but I've only seen them in 18x8.75 with a 20 offset. I'm assuming these are supposed to cater strictly to the form over function crowd that wants the one finger gap.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
One finger gap? I have a 1 finger gap and my car is 100% streetable. The form over function guys have credit card gaps! Hahah

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Backlash2032;1917286 said:
One finger gap? I have a 1 finger gap and my car is 100% streetable. The form over function guys have credit card gaps! Hahah

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

I don't have a problem with form over function. I just need something a little more modest.

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
so with wheel like those meisters if you take the wheel offset minus the with of the lip that will give you a rough idea of how they will fit compared to stock wheels right? cause if stock wheels are +37 then you could have a wheel that is +50 and a 13mm lip and it would fit just as flush right?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2 things to be careful of (and the calculations are not understood by me yet so I can't advise)...
You don't want the tire out so far that your quarter panel lip cuts into the sidewall and not in so far that it hits the suspension.

I think some are hesitant to give you the thumbs up on a particular size because in the end it's your responsibility.

I do know that Works will tell you the proper size range if you contact them directly. However... Seeing it and how the exact fitment is, is not always exactly what you expect . I think that's why this area has sizes and fitment... Lots to read....

Some people can go in farther on the rears if they are stretching the rubber so the tire size plays in to it as well.

As a note, I am considering going to 16's because I wont be running a BBK and I really notice the thin sidewall on my 18's when it comes to traction now that my car is a BPU Supra. On stock suspension and stock 7MGTE setup it wasn't so bad, but I break traction in second gear and sometimes in third gear as well if I shift too quickly which gives my Supra a bit of a tail wag... the 16's with a wider sidewall might allow for a better pull I think.

Last edited:

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
rodel;1917879 said:

i noticed that the calculator does not factor in lip size, so how do i do the calculation when factoring in a lip? i believe that if a wheel is 8" wide that means that it is 203 mm wide. so if the wheel is +50 for offset then from the mounting face inward you will have 151mm on the inside and the rest is lip.

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
SmithElite12s;1918034 said:
That will just tell you how much clearance you will get/lose on the inside/outside with the new rims. offset is what you need to know not the lip size.

Lip size is part of the width witch is needed to know if they will sit flush.