What did you do to your supra today? Pics

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
I was alway told never run a k&n on a turboed engine. I know in the diesel world it's a big no no. Lets to much dirt in a dust the turbo. And the oil in the k&n filter in a gas engine if u put to much oil it will get the afm coated in oil/residue.

I have no idea if that would cause u to hit fc early. Maybe because the afm is all gummed up but i think that would make see less air coming in not more.

I was hitting fuel cut early when my tps was a little off. Check that maybe. I hit it now at around 5500 rpms around 11lbs of boost

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
ah, well this all happened after I cleaned my KN filter that is why I have a strong feeling that is the problem lol. I may clean it again and spray a very light coat of oil on it and spray the AFM down with brake cleaner.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Hmm... maybe I should post a quick update here. I've done a fair bit recently...

- Switched many engine bay hoses to black braid instead of stainless
- Mounted AP Racing front calipers
- New fender liners
- New windshield and door glass
- New trim for windshield and door glass
- New inside door lock bezels
- New rear hatch spoiler
- Custom fuse panel in engine bay
- Custom coolant overflow tank
- New C&R radiator with twin Spal fans
- New coolant pipes to and from radiator

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, anyway. Here's a current picture of the engine bay:
IMG_9549.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
@Grimjack: That's really pretty.

I've got a K&N FIPK on the '90. Cleaning it was one of the first things that I did. I know that you've got to be careful with the oil, but I've used a K&N drop-in with the '89 as well.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Washed it to get pollen off. Seems like it gets filthy after a 10 min drive and I'm OCD so I wash it like every 4 days.... It's relaxing though washing it on nice cool evenings

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368665288.585769.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368665335.852894.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1368665345.759062.jpg

AnubisMK3

Jul 31, 2012
Milwaukee
Doat;1937644 said:
I enjoyed the lovely ice cold A/C on this humid and rainy night in Houston and LOVING the crotch vent. Every car needs a crotch vent but the damn hatch is still squeaking even after I replaced the stops it's driving me nuts. Also does anyone know how to fix the driver side window gap right where the tip of the side mirror meets the weather stripping? Water doesn't get in unless I spray it with a power washer but it's annoying hearing the wind rush through while driving on the highway. I figure I need to replace the weather stripping or adjust the window any ideas?

Got the latch release replaced and mine stopped squeeking.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Korg77;1938996 said:
When i see such engine bays.. just curious... Where are all wires, filters, gas tank breather?
Wiring is very carefully routed under the fenders and above the liners. Any wires going to the engine itself are wrapped in black and tucked as much as possible to make them vanish into the background.

Filters... not so crazy, actually. Stock oil filter location on the 2J. Fuel filter is mounted next to the frame rail underneath the intake manifold.

Fuel tank breather is mounted under the turbo / exhaust manifold.

It helps that I don't have to put up with things like the stock wiring - the entire front end has been wired from scratch with only the wires required for the Vipec, lights, etc. Milspec wiring, too. Then add in the fact that nearly everything has been custom fabbed with hiding that kind of stuff in mind - even the radiator is tucked underneath the support, where the stock AC was mounted.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
AnubisMK3;1939014 said:
Got the latch release replaced and mine stopped squeeking.
That is what I am thinking it is like the latch isn't being tightly held down
Zrain25;1938992 said:
Or get a aem dry flow......
Do you know the part number or size for one? I believe it's 2.5 or 3" right?

Last edited:

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Forgive me I should have mentioned I am running a stock setup with an LLP filter adapter instead of the plastic stock one. I believe my KN filter is 3in ID I will have to measure it in the morning to be sure.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
She took me to hang out with some friends at their shop then drove me to get a haircut, so in return I gave her a nice bubble bath and boy does she clean up gooooooddd.
966725_4951361744033_1882152710_o.jpg

Dat pearl action, damn clouds moved in.
977226_4951361424025_1665431364_o.jpg