The Fruition of Obsession -- 310,000 mile makeover --

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Are you looking for the engine harness terminal pins? About 5 years ago I know I ordered 200 of both the big and small pins from mouser. I thought the pins were pretty common. I can try to find the part numbers because I am fairly sure I have them somewhere. Let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree here.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
You're dead on. The biggest problem child's at this point are the tns pins for the heater control connector. So far I only have a few of the correct pin types out of ~6+ styles.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I have all the correct pins EXCEPT the damn TNS pins and the oil pressure sender and a few water neck sensors. I got a good used harness (~7 years old) that I *may* have to hack into to steal a few connectors/terminals. I'm hoping I can source some of the terminals brand new, but otherwise I'll be hacking into a perfectly good harness. :(

Anyways... onto other issues:

Radiator hoses. Turbo and NA models are most definitely different shapes and sizes and I can now say I have first hand experience on that. My previous NA hose was rubbing and a little stretched and kinked. I didn't realize how good Aaron;'s deals were at Driftmotion and like a chump I paid Toyota $75 for just the lower hose. Oh well... Turbo on left, NA on right.
p1812669_1.jpg

p1812669_2.jpg

p1812669_3.jpg

I trimmed the edge of the power steering bracket slightly to give me a little more clearance and get rid of the sharp edge.
p1812669_4.jpg

Neverming the mess... Stupid power steering hose leak got the entire passenger side all oiled up. :(

Regarding other wiring issues: The 040 connectors and TOUGH to crimp using a typical open barrel die set and fit into the connectors. The Toyota (or sumitomo rather) harness uses these crazy perfect rectangle crimps on the insulation that I have NO WAY of replicating. The tool from TE (TYCO AMP) that is supposed to go with the terminals is $300-500. Outrageous cost for a one time use tool, but that tool would be sooo much better than the one I'm using. Oh well...

I still need to get a wideband, document more of the harness and then start fabricating the new harness. I can't wait for it to all come together. Should be one of the nicest engine harnesses I've ever seen on a 7M, lol. I'm sure Duane has got me beat by a longshot, but I haven't seen many other contenders concerning just the wiring that have done a stock resto-mod.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Small progress today. Polished up the fuel rail with a quick hand job. Giggety...
Also installed the injectors back from Aaron @ Driftmotion with his new fuel injector cleaning service. :)

Cleaned, but no polish:
p1814121_1.jpg

One pass of polish:
p1814121_2.jpg

A few more:
p1814121_3.jpg

p1814121_4.jpg

p1814121_5.jpg

Went to install the rail and found one of the bolts was horribly bent. No idea how this thing even got installed before...
p1814121_6.jpg

Got the rail installed. Harness is documented. 95% of all parts are here. Harness construction will start soon! :D

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Motherfuck. So after cutting and crimping dozens of wires I have realized one of my initial measurements was wrong. 10 inches short.

On every.... Single... Wire so far... I should just start drinking...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
buckshotglass;1818780 said:
That's what she said. :)

Just wanted to try to cheer you up in your shitty situation. Sounds like something I would do. Hopefully you are about to figure out that the new length works better than you planned.

Haha, thanks man. My girlfriend appreciated that post, haha. I'm not redoing any wires just yet. I cut a bunch extra long on purpose... just not 10" long. Looks like some will be fine, but at least a few dozen wires will need to be redone. Oh well. Just more practice with this whole wiring business...

On the bright side, I'm memorizing a ton about the wiring system in our engine bays. After I go through all the final checks I'll have just about the whole thing mapped out in my head. Gotta search for that silver lining.

What's funny is I'm a manufacturing engineer. My job revolves around measuring 6 times and cutting once. 6Sigma, 8D, CIP, blah, blah, blah... Too bad I still haven't grasped the idea of applying those principals to my own home grown manufacturing, haha.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Making some slow progress. Painted some things over the weekend, ordered MORE wiring parts. Hoping to be all done with this wiring escapade by May 1.

B1 Ground (Attaches to intake manifold)
p1827909_1.jpg

Newly painted valve covers and cleaned plug wires
p1827909_2.jpg

p1827909_3.jpg

p1827909_4.jpg

Relocated the boost controller to just under the thermostat housing. Doing that shortened the vacuum lines by more than half. Should help response.

Planning on buying an AEM analog wideband and BFG G-Force kdw tires soon before the car is up and running again. :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IBoughtASupra;1827916 said:
I assume you got your wiring from Spygeek?

No idea who that is. The wiring is 100% me. :) I spec'd every single piece. Every item was purchased individually(wires, heatshrink, terminals, wire seals, sheathing, connectors, eyelets, splices). Every crimp done in my own garage. I'll try to total the cost in the end, but it's well over $1000 as it stands now. More than I ever planned on, but it should be a great set-up in the end.

My crimps on the ECU terminals aren't pretty, but it should work out. The real professional crimpers for ECU side terminals are around $300 for the tool and another $300-$500 for each die. I'm not nearly that dedicated to 20 year old wiring so I opted for a more generic $70 crimper. Hopefully it'll do the job perfectly well.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Some pics from my regular camera I just got around to uploading....

The location of boost controller. This mounting point will be shared by the new wire harness as well. Details coming later.

p1828673_1.jpg

Newly painted battery area. I used Rustoleum Rust Converter. hopefully it'll hold up.
p1828673_2.jpg

Example of one of the splice crimps. The crimpers I have aren't meant for splices this size, but they work pretty well.

p1828673_3.jpg

Example of a splice after it's "Dressed" with heat shrink. This one is a blue wire with red "stripe"
p1828673_4.jpg

Prepping valve covers:
p1828673_5.jpg

Removing the casting marks:
p1828673_6.jpg

Painting:
p1828673_7.jpg

Before:
p1828673_8.jpg

After:
p1828673_9.jpg

(painted the heat shield too)
p1828673_10.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Still wiring away. I did basic OHM testing yesterday and everything looked good. I didn't put in the battery and do complete voltage tests, but I'm getting anxious and I suppose I'm living on the edge, lol.

Pics of some of the harness as it stands now: I hope to get it done this week. :)

Start of the weekend. 3 harnesses. My original, a "newer" donor harness (still a little hacked) and the new harness, unsheathed:
p1831352_1.jpg

New harness, partially sheathed:
p1831352_2.jpg

main harness section. showing off the carbon fiber and insultherm sheathing that will protect the main loom.
p1831352_3.jpg

showing the branches coming off the main loom near the intake manifold. You can see fuel injectors, reverse switch, CSI and bunch of others:
p1831352_4.jpg

B1 Ground (Intake manifold)
p1831352_5.jpg

C1, Diag box, igniter, noise filter, coil pack, PPS
p1831352_6.jpg

Still waiting on Eastern Beaver parts so I can replace the damn M1 connector with a new 090 style connector. I couldn't find ANYONE who sold the replacement connectors OR terminals, so I'm repinning them to a more standard 090 style Sumitomo connector.

Crossing my fingers I can start her up next weekend for the first time in about 6 months!!!!! :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Harness is in car, running final checks, will try to start it up this weekend. First time in nearly 6 months! woo! Found out carbon fiber is conductive. How didn't I realize that beforehand? Ugh. I'm really not liking the CF on the harness. :(

Also, testing imagur hotlinking on a picture of a splice crimp...
tIaPj.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a question, what is carbon fiber in the harness? Are you talking about the loom?

I can never find the right plugs at EasternBeaver. All I see are the picture of the plugs and I can't tell if they are the ones I need. It would be nice if they had something that stated on the make of car they are used on so we could have a ball park.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IBoughtASupra;1833160 said:
I have a question, what is carbon fiber in the harness? Are you talking about the loom?

I can never find the right plugs at EasternBeaver. All I see are the picture of the plugs and I can't tell if they are the ones I need. It would be nice if they had something that stated on the make of car they are used on so we could have a ball park.

Yeah, the outer shell of the main section of loom is CF. I was excited because I thought it'd be a nice cosmetic touch. I ordered some FiberGlass sheathing for protection to put under the CF, and the FG sheathing has a nice resin coating so it has a little structure to it. For some reason, i didn't catch that the CF sheathing has NO RESIN and is true, bare, raw CF weave. Meaning it's conductive, comes undone really easy and doesn't actually look all that nice unless it's absolutely perfect. So now, if I have any 12V wire or splice touching the CF, I've got an engine fire and of course, engine failure. :(

RE: EasternBeaver: It's intended to be for motorcycle repair, so I doubt he really cares what car parts it happens to overlap with. There are a couple connectors you can find on there, but not many. If you're looking for one (or ten particular connectors I can tell you who has them. I was unable to find a dozen or so, but I did manage to track down a vendor for most terminals and connectors.

I'll eventually post a good reference sheet, but not now. Too much actual car work to be done! :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
SHE RUNS! Drove about 5 miles yesterday as a test drive. Not a single issue. Driving it to work today, about 50 mile round trip.

Got new tires installed yesterday, BFG G-sport KDW2. I have lots of pics to upload, lots to update. Been busy working on the car every spare moment I get. Hopefully.... I dont need to do much more for a little while.

If someone asked me to build another harness.... I think it would take at least $2000 for just the labor. I dont want to do this again unless I absolutely need to.