The Fruition of Obsession -- 310,000 mile makeover --

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
mattsplat72;1589514 said:
You put this into NA car right? I remember having to swap mine over to a GTE tach.

Ya, you can either do that or swap out resistors, but my iron is terrible and my soldering skills aren't amazing to begin with. I'll try to troubleshoot tonight. I must just have a weak connection somewhere.

EDIT: just got the tach working. resoldered two resistors and it works fine. I must have had an ugly joint, but all works now!! :)
Here are some pics of the pre-install:
p1589531_1.jpg

p1589531_2.jpg

p1589531_3.jpg

p1589531_4.jpg

p1589531_5.jpg

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Update: Intake valve on #3 is stuck open. :(

I'm going to try to free it tomorrow, but I feel like I'm shooting in the dark.

Anyone have any advice for how to get it back in order if it's just sticking from deposits?

*Update

Got the stuck valve closed, it moved so freely. I have no idea what is causing this huge problem. Then it just got stuck open again when i went to compression test it. :(

So the car will be babied to my new place where I'll throw on one of my two good heads. Maybe time for an upgrade in cams or something... :)

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Towed it very painfully to it's new home (Townhome garage).

I'm going to do a head swap with a spare head I have. 3 angle valve job, OEM composite HG

Changes in part plans:

Die Hard Platinum Battery
[strike]Greddy Headgasket[/strike]Genuine Toyota Head Gasket
ARP Studs <-- Still debating this one. The motor already has ARP bolts. The $125 bucks for studs might be better spent elsewhere...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Update:

Car has been running with a fully refreshed head for a few weeks now. Went with ARP studs and OEM Headgasket. I figure since the transmission and clutch are going to hold ~350 rwhp max, I can get by with a composite HG. If it blows down the road I'll do it right and pull everything and do a MHG. For now, ~10 psi should be ok on the stocker.

I have a strange dead spot from ~1-10% throttle, then it kicks to life. Almost as if the TPS doesn't know i'm off idle until 10%. I can see the vacuum change so I know the throttle is opening. I'll have to investigate the tps soon.

I hope to be purchasing a Land Cruiser (80 series) soon so the Supra won't see winter if all goes as planned. Progress will be slower with the added expense, but I wont have to worry about getting stuck or plowed into.

Shitty cell phone pics:

p1622285_1.jpg

Perfectly good, unblown Greddy headgasket. I guess I'll use it as a wall ornament after I clean it up? :dunno:
p1622285_2.jpg

p1622285_3.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Got a bosch 710 bpv (Same as 110 bosch) and it sounds a lot less ricey than my stock toyota bpv that was fluttering like crazy.

Still stock exhaust, only "power" mod is an apexi intake. Boost is at 6 psi. Fun, but not nearly enough. I want closer to ~10psi, but it'll have to wait until I can afford a nice 3" exhaust turbo back. Still planning on Raptor Racing cat back, metallic cat and BIC Recirc DDP.

Really need to sell my red 88 turbo so that is my project for now. The black car runs smoothly so I think I can just enjoy it for a while. :)

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Congrats, it seems like u have done a lot of research before the swap and were ready for any problems. Im glad it went well. Time for more boost!!!!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
akito;1623738 said:
Congrats, it seems like u have done a lot of research before the swap and were ready for any problems. Im glad it went well. Time for more boost!!!!

bombinuass;1623744 said:
yea congrats:) glad to see everything is working out for the most part.

Thanks guys! And with as much time as I have spent around here over the last three years I think I better know my shit. :icon_razz At this point I've done 1 full head gasket job and rebuilt 2 7M's so I think I'm getting the basics down pretty well.

Now it's time to tackle the finer things. I.E. More power mods, tuning, getting the car much cleaner, newer looking and feeling.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Switched over to GC 0w30 w/ PureONE filter recently. Over 313,500 miles. Fully broken in. Really need new exhaust, right now it's rusted in half at the resonator and basically straight piped. AKA loud, obnoxious and not any faster... :nono:

Can't wait to order exhaust. Still looking at Raptor Racing catback and BIC divorced downpipe.

...and the gf sitting next to me says she wishes I weren't so obsessed... :rofl:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
BIG UPDATE

Got all the BEST Raptor Racing has to offer for the mk3.
-DDP Ceramic Coated, wideband bung, flex section, the works
-3" Hi Flow Metallic Cat
-3" Raptor Racing SS Ceramic Coated cat back piping with Powder Coated Muffler

Also picked up some 5Zigen FN01R-C wheels in gun metal <-- This wasn't planned but these are some of my favorite wheels and I scored the wheels with good tires for $600 so I couldn't resist.

PLUG FOR GEORGE AT RAPTOR RACING:

Amazing communication for a one man shop. I was in the loop the whole time and George even asked that I NOT pay him until it was very close to ready. That's right, I offered to pay, he wanted me to wait. Stand up guy before, during and after the sale and I felt very confident sending him my payment for such a big purchase. As most of you better know, the quality is also top notch. Buy from him, give him your money. ;)
Pics:

Setting up the exhaust. Man was it beautiful, haha. Since my car is a bit of a bsatard child (mk4 motor mounts, 90 NA chassis, W58, unknown year block) the cat back needed some minor adjustment.
p1696764_1.jpg

Quick glimpse of the downpipe and the very convenient location of my dip stick. :(
p1696764_2.jpg

Looking down the DDP:
p1696764_3.jpg

Dirty engine bay:
p1696764_4.jpg

Bad ass, highly over capable, largest size Die Hard Platinum Sears had:
p1696764_5.jpg

Messy interior:
p1696764_6.jpg

Lotek Pillar pods look great..... if you squint:
p1696764_7.jpg

p1696764_8.jpg

p1696764_9.jpg

p1696764_10.jpg

p1696764_11.jpg

p1696764_12.jpg

p1696764_13.jpg

p1696764_14.jpg

I have some pics on my other memory card of the sexy Raptor Racing Catback before install, but I'll upload those later.

PLANS FOR THE SPRING/SUMMER:
Well I want to get a Tacoma for camping/winter so that's soaking up most the funds. Other than that:
-New windshield moldings (surprisingly cheap. Looks like ~$150 for everything)
-Newly wrapped steering wheel
-New/COMPLETELY reworked engine harness
-Resolve power steering leak (Maybe new rack or maybe just fluid lines?)
-SUSPENSION (Eibach springs with Tokico shocks is looking good. New Bushings may be in order)
-Clean the HELL out of the engine bay
-New Floor mats

That's about all I have my mind on right now. She's slowly getting to where I've wanted the last 3 years. Very exciting to see it come together.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I absolutely love those wheels. I've wanted them for ages but never had the money. Now that I'm a bit older, wiser, and richer, I'd love to buy a set, but 5Zigen appears to have discontinued them!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Emiliorescigno said:
I absolutely love those wheels. I've wanted them for ages but never had the money. Now that I'm a bit older, wiser, and richer, I'd love to buy a set, but 5Zigen appears to have discontinued them!

Yeah, I never expected to find them so cheap and was bummed to see them discontinued. Keep an eye on Craig's! :)

1JMike;1758045 said:
Nice car man.
How did you get the needles of the cluster like that, did you change them out or just paint them?

Just remove the needles, polish off old, faded yellow paint on bottom side, repaint red. :)

Check my Sig thread on lighting. Lots of info in there.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
emiliorescigno;1758006 said:

they're still available, but they're the "hot" version. They're slightly different than the originals, but last I checked were still available.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Moy;1758203 said:
they're still available, but they're the "hot" version. They're slightly different than the originals, but last I checked were still available.

There are some 18"s and then some 17x8"s available on 5zigen's website, but in a very limited selection of color, size, and offset. I just want a staggered set of 17x8/9s in silver!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
emiliorescigno;1758227 said:
There are some 18"s and then some 17x8"s available on 5zigen's website, but in a very limited selection of color, size, and offset. I just want a staggered set of 17x8/9s in silver!

The one thing I wish I could change on mine is to add a stagger. I planned on 8 front 9 rear, but settled for 8 all around. I can break the rears loose on only 9-10 lbs in second from roll if the road anything perfectly dry and smooth. When the tires are up for replacement, ill get some beefier rubber at least on the back. Maybe 255 gsports. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Were you able to notice the difference in power from the 6psi and stock exhaust to the new exhaust and higher boost? I know with my stock exhaust and this altitude I cant get it any higher than 6psi either.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
i plan on 17x8 17x10 stagger and ill get em no matter what i gotta do ;) lol

by the way, now that you have wheels, you need a slight drop lol

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
FullNelson;1759060 said:
Were you able to notice the difference in power from the 6psi and stock exhaust to the new exhaust and higher boost? I know with my stock exhaust and this altitude I cant get it any higher than 6psi either.

Yes, but not as much as you might think. The big difference came when adding the boost controller and having it keep the wastegate closed until 6-8 psi. That helps a ton. The boost hits hard and fast. It reduces lag a ton.
Moy;1759070 said:
i plan on 17x8 17x10 stagger and ill get em no matter what i gotta do ;) lol

by the way, now that you have wheels, you need a slight drop lol

Very much agreed. Springs/Shocks are the next big purchase. :) I'm thinking Tokico shocks and a linear lowering spring. Undecided on springs so far. I was debating Tein SS with the controller, but I think that extra cash can go elsewhere for now.

Boost controller install:
p1763947_1.jpg

Repping SM on my toolbox:
p1763947_2.jpg

LED needle lighting:
p1763947_3.jpg

More to come shortly. :)