Steve's mildly out-of-control build

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
Toyotanos-what have you done for suspension and brakes?

what i have seen and read is wilwood big brake kit and SS lines and energy suspension bushing with tokico illumina 2's, what springs and did the subframe get solid mounts and some extra supports? curious because im on the power trip with my car.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Yep, added that stuff to the list, but no subframe bushings or reinforcements yet (iirc, 90+ got the better rear subframes)

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
an adapter for V160 to 7M?

And Steve, if I read your first post right... you blew up a MC built trans? holy shit lol

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I rebuilt the transmission to factory specs while adding the MC 1-2 shift fork and 1st gear thrust washer.

As for that transmission, I just cracked the synchronizer sleeve (new factory part) on the dyno. There aren't any upgrade parts that I know of for that particular part of the transmission, so another brand new factory part will be used. Part of me thinks it might be the clutch itself since it has no dampers on either clutch disc, but I really don't want to test that theory and potentially make it 3 R154's broken so an upgrade is happening (pending I can make it happen). Worst case scenario I get an Exedy Carbon twin/triple with a heavy damper and run basic rebuild R154's or :shudder: run an auto.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Update time!

Went to Powercruise #4 at BIR raceway this last weekend and had a blast! Car ran great and didn't have any serious issues! Only failures suffered were 2 melted a breather plug and dropped a transmission drain plug (not sure how, never pulled it out, but whatevs). Drove the crap out of it until Sunday when we got rained out.

That's where the story gets sad.

On our way home, just as we get into open country, the engine dies suddenly. Try to restart but its cranking very quickly, indicating lost compression. Pull over and pull the timing cover off and find a timing belt with slack NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Got it towed to a friend's house to wait for pickup.

Fast forward to 30 minutes ago, I pulled the front end apart and got the timing cover off- found this:

and this

The oil pump drive is free and has no catching that I can detect. The only realistic cause is the force of driving the cams (272's/dual springs) exposed a weak point/ fractured a stress riser on the sintered pulley. Not fun.

So the project now, is to find an upgraded oil pump pulley or buy a brand new one and have it treated to reduce the change of failure. I have no idea if the valves have been bent as a result of this, but either way I'll find out and fix it. Kinda sucky, but it's a car and it can always be fixed!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Nah, I have a spanner wrench to use that holds the pulley nicely. It's the one we use at the dealership, but it's possible that the stress riser was caused by it, seeing as it's not the exact Toyota SST. Dunno, but I'm not finding much to replace it aside from another factory part.

What are your thoughts on the older style 6-hole pulley vs this 5-spoke one?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
That sucks.

Maybe see if you can get one machined out of billet or something? Might not be too pricey.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Borrowed a spare pulley from Emilio and put it back together all temporary-like last night. Spun the oil pump beforehand to prime the oil system, what do ya know- it fired right up. Lucky me it still runs. They still may have hit, but I'll know more once I get it reassembled properly and run boost/look at AFR's. Oh boy!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Thanks to Rabid Chimp Performance, I have a new 5M oil pump pulley in my hands! I'mma pull the timing belt off tonight and compare the pulleys to ensure they're the same, but pending I'm able to pick up my new timing belt the car will be driveable tomorrow! (I'll get pictures comparing the two when it's apart)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Car runs well, no issues up on boost :D

Found out why I'm dropping volts at higher rpm's, alternator brushes were pretty worn.

For reference, they should reach about 2/3 of the holder diameter across D: It'll take some time for them to break in, but shouldn't take too long.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Pulled Emilio's transmission out of my car and found this while working on it...guess I'mma need some more repair work! Funny thing, it still made 30pounds of boost XD

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
The car has been raced, but I didn't get kicked from the track. We got rained out Sunday so I wasn't able to improve on anything.

Ran an 11.3 @ 130mph with a 1.8 60'

In part, I'm disappointed; because I wasn't able to get a good launch with good shifting. When I launched well, I shifted poorly or missed gears entirely; and when I launched poorly, I shifted just ok. Oh well. Car was losing power and after checking the datalogs, I found out why- 190*f IATs. Guess the ebay intercooler isn't dealing with the heat/power too well. Oh, and I need a new differential...again.

But overall, I'm very happy. Mainly because the car ran well and I was able to get some mid 1.6s 60' launches on the lower power tune, and even a 1.662 on the high power after getting used to it. Ran a time that would otherwise get me booted, and had a whole bunch of fun with friends.

Pics and videos are being uploaded soon.
Low power best run

High power best run (ironically, the first run)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Awesome performance, man.
After seeing your 5M oil pulley, I kinda wish I had known about it while building my motor. Seems like a solid swap option.

Status
Not open for further replies.