Steve's mildly out-of-control build

Status
Not open for further replies.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Updates! Because Steve's internet is all broken and stuff...

Had a dyno day - 788 horsepower to the wheels! (Technical max was 806 to the wheels, but had to be dialed back to keep the tune safe)
p1945781_1.jpg

Then, the 3-4 shift sleeve cracked in half....
_temp_.jpg

Last edited:

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Title changed to better reflect what this has become. Yup, broke it good, so now I'm talking with SPEC to see if we can build some 'give' into the system, hopefully avoiding this situation from happening again.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
charman02;1945901 said:
I don't remember reading on ur fuel set up, what pump or pumps are you running? What fuel rail and size of fuel line?

All of the information is on the first page of this thread, although I will go through it this weekend to make sure that everything is as up-to-date as it can be!

@Newgen,
Thanks, Matt

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
New plan:
I now own a new transmission, but its not an R154. Pics will happen once I get it home and have internets.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
how the fuck are you going to fit a V160 in there? How much is the adapter plate and custom clutch kit gonna be to fit it to the 7M? I've wanted to do this for a while but it's too damn expensive o_O

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Clutch will be EZ, just get some 2jz twins for my spec clutch.
Adapter will be more tricky, but we'll make it happen.
As for fitting it, I'm prolly going to need a bigger hammer.

Most of the cost is getting the transmission in the first place. The rest is EZ mode.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Little things, Emilio. Little things will be handled!

Driveshaft
Speedo
Shifter
Adapter
Rear gears
etc

We'll see, but I have found no affordable mk4 shells as of yet

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
toyotanos;1946936 said:
Little things, Emilio. Little things will be handled!

Driveshaft
Speedo
Shifter
Adapter
Rear gears
etc

We'll see, but I have found no affordable mk4 shells as of yet

So this means I might need to divorce even more of my money and buy your driveshaft, doesn't it....

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Well considering that a brand new V160 is around 10k, and most good condition used units are between 5-8k... definitely not cheap at all hahaha

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Yup, it's definately happening- broke another R154! 3rd died first after 8 passes. Then after 7 more, 4th died.
Funny thing is, the best run was without 3rd gear :D (ok so maybe I cheated and turned the boost up a bit)

[video=youtube;erTkVzYP004]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erTkVzYP004&feature=c4-overview&list=UUcSb1GKidTTz8VAT6tG_1Vg[/video]
burnout at 1min, turnoff at 1:50.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I know, right? The car is fun, but it's gotten a little out of hand. I'm taking steps to bring it back just a little closer to what I had initially intended for it to be. I'm trying very hard to do the whole 'content' thing.

After seeing plenty of car guys around me get a car, go big right away and then sell it 'because they're bored with it', I just want to enjoy my car for what it is, rather than push every possible system to its breaking point. That's not to say I don't like the power, but the stuff it breaks along with it is not so much fun. Reliably fast is never cheap, so I choose to reduce the fast part just a bit.

Edit: I have updated the first post to accurately reflect what the car's build looks like right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.