3.5" exhaust assembly
Tune
Get kicked off of the track!

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Mike,
Steve has been working on my Supra on and off over the past month in his garage. I have his gray monster safely tucked away in my big garage. His car runs and drives. We are just waiting for the cold snap to be over to swap them back. Perhaps a better question is will my car be ready for spring??? I sure hope so.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Holy crap I remember this thread!

Nothing much to add aside from it runs and I'm getting ready for a big year!

New coil bracket and a couple 1ZZ-FE Corolla coils should keep me from overloading my ignition system this year.
p1932520_1.jpg

Waiting on responses from shops to make the exhaust system happen and probably going to have to fit the IC piping myself. Will have it welded eventually, but we'll see.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Hey Steve, you might want to talk to Sean. He has moved the Miller welder back to my shop. If you buy the pieces, I will be he and you can fabricate a nice system. He's currently tweaking mine.

BTW, the electronic stuff on my Supra looks great.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Today I put some gas in the car, tried to get my factory tacho to work off of the AEM (but failed) so new aftermarket tachometer will be oredered soon. Swapped Jake's 3.91 differential into the car and it seems to be helping with the traction issues.

New tires for the street and drag rims will be ordered in the next couple weeks as well.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Quin, the tacometer was never accurate, with the factory/DH61 ignitors, nor with the AEM. Got an auto-meter unit that fits okish and does the job. Not the best, but it works better than what I had.

As of lately, I've gotten the tune much better at cold-starting and idle control is better. Intercooler piping has been fabricated and installed- now running 3" from the turbo to the throttle body :D Modified the SSQV even more so it was easier to service, but I might have to upgrade to a bigger vent if this one can't keep up at higher boost levels!

Cut the hood for the hood pins and got them installed, looks pretty boss! I'll get some pictures tonight, I promise.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Intercooler piping is welded and installed. Works like a dream and the fabricator was awesome! Ordered some stainless piping for the exhaust, but that may not be done for the dyno (depending on his schedule). I am happy to report the car has not had any mechanical issues yet this year and I'm still working on cleaning it up and completing all the projects I had planned (PCV system, wiring cleanup, etc)

About life this year: Dyno date is set for June 3rd, then we close on selling our existing house the next day. My new house closes in a week and a half and then I will have a proper shop to work in! 3 car attached so the Supra wil have its own parking space :D

Pictures!

The new engine bay, complete with 3" IC piping, 1ZZ coils, and generally cleaned up.

Carbon fiber hood strut mod. Blown struts plus hold and pin = Winning!

CF Hood closed with the Aerocatch pins

Deleted hood latch, which will be the new coolant reservoir home. If you look closely, you'll see 2 silver allen head bolts next to the pins- they hold the drop-down brackets the pins thread into.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
wtf someone that actually installed the aerocatchs the right way! looks great.

I thought 1zz coils were too tall for the 7m? where did you get the bracket?

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
They're a little tall, but they work. Much higher than my old 2JZ-GE vvti coils, but they should have more spark energy. Bracket was made by Albert, but I slightly modded it to fit easier.

The latches were little hairy since I've never cut into CF, but it went pretty well!

Edit best comparison picture I could find on my PB:

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I had run out of spark energy last year with the 2JZ-GE coils. Once the plugs had worn to a .025" gap, it started to break up at 26+ psi boost. It was fine around 18psi, though. I have them gapped at .023" normall. Since I'm going much higher boost this year, I wanted to add some overhead. That's besides the fact I have a lot of these coils from engines I've replaced over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.