Steve's mildly out-of-control build

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Nice I didnt know you were doing a port on the the head. Cant wait to see pics. What compression you going to be running.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Its going to be lower than before because of the combustion chamber work and the deck height- (not enough piston-head clearance with a 1mm), I think it should drop to around 8.0:1 or so. I was looking into high-comp pistons, but that didn't pan out. Not to fear, I'm going to have 5bar map sensors so Ill be able to make up for that CR loss in other ways...

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Always nice cause you can push more boost without detonation. My friend has a around the same, i think its 7.8:1 and the only time you notice it is when start from a stop, not super punchy but your port should help.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I stopped by Iner's garage today over lunch to pick up a piece from my 4" exhaust that needed his expertize. I immediately recognized the head of Steve's 7M that he was working on. I snapped a couple of pic's of the porting job. Bear in mind shitty camera phone, plus he has a ways to go, and garage was poorly lighted at the time. I have seen his porting before, and he's good, real good. The $20 is how much he charged me to not do too good of job, so my 2jz can still beat him. :evil2:

p1830373_1.jpg

p1830373_2.jpg

p1830373_3.jpg

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Waiting is weak! I wanna do stuff, but with no parts there's nothing to do x.x

Pumps have been working great so far, I'm considering welding a camry sending unit cover onto the tank so I can put the silencers on the pumps (and so I can service them without as much issue)

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
toyotanos;1831845 said:
Waiting is weak! I wanna do stuff, but with no parts there's nothing to do x.x

Pumps have been working great so far, I'm considering welding a camry sending unit cover onto the tank so I can put the silencers on the pumps (and so I can service them without as much issue)

Word, when I am done with Dans car, rumor has it I am putting my old setup back together.......

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
After more than 4 months of waiting, my transmission parts have finally arrived!
p1842993_1.jpg

The head porting is done, so all I have to wait for now is the machine shop to finish up the valve guides and machining! As far as I know, I have all the parts to start reassembling the engine once that last bit of machining gets done!

:bigthumb:

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Sadly, no. I wasn't able to get ahold of the boss man to get the OK to use the shop press. Tuesday night will be the time for me to work on it!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
And its done! Completely assembled and sealed up. Now just for the head and engine...it might actually run this year!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Thanks dan!

Andy- decent clearances all around- 1st gear seemed a litttle looser than it was before with the MC thrust washer installed, but it was still in spec so I'm not worried about it.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
More good news, finally purchased a 4.3 rear end! Many thanks to Devin for offering it up :D
I also traded my stock hood for a carbon fiber piece, many thanks to Mr Getske for that!

Only thing I'm waiting for now is the head to finish being machined and its off to the races to assemble!

Status
Not open for further replies.