Status
Not open for further replies.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
My name is Steve, and this is the build-up of my 1991 Toyota Supra Turbo.

In October of 08, I traded my 93 auto Corolla with 205k for a 91 5-speed Supra turbo with 195k. I had $1200 into the corolla and he gave me $300 cash, so I got a Turbo Supra for $900. The problem was the Supra didn't run, and the PO thought that the head gasket (that he replaced) had blown. I quickly found that the CPS had pushed out of the head due to there being no bolt holding it in. Started up and drove fine, but it leaked oil like mad, smoked badly on decel, had missing bolts, vacuum leaks, crap all over the place, and had very little power overall, and last but not least, it DID have a BHG. It needed a lot of work.

In light of this, I considered my options: JDM 7M swap, 1JZ swap, build/rebuild the current motor. After much research and saving, I have begun the process of building my Supra's 7MGTE engine.

Here's what my build looks like right now:

Longblock:
Original 200,000mile block.
Original Crankshaft, high-speed balanced.
JE pistons .020" over ceramic coated crowns, dry lube coated skirts, heat conductive undersides.
Eagle rods
ARP head studs
HKS Stopper 2mm Head gasket
NDC bearings
Machined block for MHG 20rA
Fully ported head, machined to 20rA
+1mm Ferrea Stainless valves
Supertech Dual valvesprings/Ti retainers
Bronze Manganese Valve guides
3-angle valve job
Gates racing Timing belt
Brian Crower 272 camshafts
5M Oil pump pulley w/ custom spacer
Fidanza adjustable cam gears with locknut modification
MK4 Motor mounts
New oil pump, water pump, oil pump drive shaft bearings, freeze plugs, gaskets, seals, etc.

Induction:
Custom (Truax Racing) long-runner FFIM with a Q45 throttle body
Comp Turbo Billet 67mm, TBB, P-trim
Turbosmart Hypergate 45mm V-band Wastegate
Ceramic coated .81A/R T-4 turbine housing w/ 3" V-band outlet
ETS 5" MK4 intercooler (tight fit)
3" custom welded piping
Custom modded SSQV

Electronics:
AEM EMS
5-bar MAP sensor
Sequential injection rewire
1ZZ-FE Ignition coils on Albert's bracket
AEM UEGO Wideband
AEM Tru-boost with 5-bar external sensor
Auto-meter sport comp 2 Tachometer w/ shift light
LIPP Alternator relocation bracket

Cooling:
Koyo Radiator
Full-flow oil cooling system
Canton oil filter head, -8 lines, oil t-stat, B+M oil cooler
Stock oil cooler refitted as a better power steering cooler

Fuel:
E-85 fuel
FIC 1350 injectors
Dual Aeromotive 340 pumps
Dual stock fuel lines and dual stock filters, -6 lines to rail
IJ's Aeromotive A1000 -6AN AFPR

Drivetrain:
Spec P-trim twin plate clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Built R-154 with lots of goodies
Modified stock shifter (not sogi, lol)
Dahn Automotive 3.5" AL driveshaft
3.91 LSD differential, soon to have 3.73 spool'd weir diff as well.

Exhaust:
Raptor Racing tubular exhaust manifold and V-band downpipe
Custom 3" exhaust, compliments of Emilio Rescigno :D

Exterior:
Carbon Creations CF hood with Aerocatch hood pins (many thanks to Dan Getzke)
Shine Auto G-spec CF front bumper (being painted)

Brakes:
ARZ Willwood 13" 4-piston fronts
Goodrich Stainless flexible lines
Stock rears with EBC Redstuff pads/Brembo rotors

Suspension:
Eibach Lowering springs
Tokico Illumina II shocks (Tems still works)
Energy suspension bushings all throughout front and rear

Wheels:
17x9 5Zigen FN01R-C w/ 235-45-17 Goodyear F1 GSD3 (10mm spacer needed to clear brakes)
17x10 5Zigen FN01R-C w. 275-40-17 BFGoodrich G-force Sports
15x8 Summit Pulsars with 26x11.5x15 Hoosier Quick Time Pro's

-List updated 4-21-14-

My goal is to have a car that is streetable and responsive. I'm also over-building the engine so I have space to grow in the future. (which has happened since this thread was originally made)

This will be my first high-performance build so I'm trying to do it right and keep it reliable.

And here's what you all want to see- another mk3 supra. Whoo hoo!
p1393136_1.jpg

Yeah, it smokes. :cry:
p1393136_2.jpg

The engine as I got it
p1393136_3.jpg

Interior mess
p1393136_4.jpg

Pulling the motor
p1393136_5.jpg

All my new goodies
p1393136_6.jpg

Updated as of April 28th 2011 :)

Last edited:

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I'm waiting on delivery of my Boss turbo, I too am looking for approx. 450 to the wheels in a nice streetable package.
Nice looking parts and car there! gl with your goals.

I'll quote Greg's answer on the Boss turbo:

The Jr. is .58 AR and the Boss Sr. is .83 AR You can reach me on the shop phone 651-342-0100, this is the only one I can hear.
Greg

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Thanks! I think I'm going to go with the TBB Boss SR. seeing as it is bolt-on and will match up to my downpipe.
Now the question is which one to get? Stage 5 T04E 61 or GT61, or the P-trim T04E 61? I'll have to talk with people and search some more to find out what the differences are and which will work the best for my application.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
WHOO! another MN owner onboard sm. Where you from? Im from the St. Cloud area, and we have 3-6 running sups at any givin time. Also if you find out you need some parts let me know I also have a 91 parts car up here.

Now, update some of your pics!!! The snow has been off the ground for 6 months now lol.

As for E-85 it is really up to you and the amount of boost you want to run and where you want to buy fuel ( yep there are a few stations around MN with it but not all ;).

ME I rather stay on pump gas because it IS at every gas station in the U.S. unlike E-85 meaning I can drive me where ever I want and not worry about finding fuel. Plus your miliage goes down the drain on it also. But it will let you make a ton more power because of the higher octane rating and the ability to run higher boost.

In all reality you just have to weigh the pros and cons of both fuels and make up your mind. Also you might as well forget about Maft Pro and just so stand alone right off the bat. Maft Pro wont be able to controll the size injectors or really anything for that fact for the HP levels you want to shoot for. As for the AEM EMS (im guessing the plug n play model you are looking at), just remember your wire harness is going on 20 years old. Search around why it is a bad idea unless your planning on buying a new harness. Even ask funky_monky (another local member) why he wishes he didnt get the plug n play EMS.

One last question, do you know what it all takes to even make 500+ at the wheels or even drove something with that amount of power???? It takes countless hours and a endless budget. Right now up here in cloud we have a 550 RWHP 2jz running around, and just for tuning in the EMS There was well over 10 hrs. on the dyno. And this dosent count the several hours trying to get Mega-crap trying to work.

IIRC dan (with the 2jz in a 87) is runing 1200 cc injectors with his e-85. Try running them on maft-pro,.......... it wont happen. Maybe also do a little more research on what your wants vs. what you can afford in the time frame you want to get your sup done.

By the way nice looking supra, the color is just perfect ;)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Thanks for the compliments!

MA71- Yeah, the PO tried to heli-coil the exhaust studs, but failed miserably, the 3 rear exhaust manifold bolts were either loose or not even there. It sounded like an old RV with the tick from the leak. If you look close, you can see that the RH motor mount fell apart too!

NSX- Yeah, it really hasn't changed much since the winter pics. It's just been sitting in my driveway as I saved up for the engine. You also bring up good points too, and as far as the power handling issue I know what you're talking about. I've driven some really fast cars (mr2 sc+tc, sr20 240sx, 94 tt supra, evo 8 were the best ones), but most were set up for autocross, so this will be a "small steps" process. (unless you want to let me take your car out for a spin! That should be a good intro to that kind of power ;) ) Right now I'm just building a good base to work off of. With the fuel, I'm just thinking out loud. I'm not locked in to anything quite yet. Until then I will continue to fine-tune my plan.
I'll get pics of my current project later tonight. Everybody's favorite: rust repair!

Here's the promised pictures, all taken today. It's spot in the driveway.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here's the rust I'm starting to work on.
p1394875_1.jpg

The drivers door has the worst rust, and it's probably going to need replacement.
p1394875_2.jpg

Last but not least, the start of my ignition system, just got parts today! Props to tookwik, thanks!
p1394875_3.jpg

Last edited:

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
My sup setup this summer and fall is only dynoed at 300 ish. Turbo, fuel, and engine managment comes this winter once she is put up for the year. This year was used to take plenty of time to brake in the engine and get some miles on her to make sure everything is 100%. If you want to take her out quick Im cool with that. But my
p1396501_1.gif
spankes the sup right now since it is low on boost

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
If I were you I would run an AEM EMS.

I built the 2jzgte supra up here in st.cloud and is currently Daily Driven at 550RWHP as 92NSX has stated, on only 22psi!

When school lets up and I get a chance to finish my 7mgte build I will be sitting mid to high 600s and plan on daily driving it once it is complete with e85.

Maft Pro is a good system but tuning is not a DIY project that should be taken by a novice tuner. And I cannot express this point enough. Just ask Jake (scubajtw) on here about the importance of having a good tune, with one of the big boss turbos.

I will say once again to go with an AEM EMS then I can help you get rid of the multiplex ignition and help you setup sequential injection. And Shane at DB performance gets my recommendation on where to get the full on tune.

Also don't cheap out on the fuel system, There is a few quirks that I have found with a couple different setups and will soon be addressing some issues I have been having with the rear sump setup/ external pump.

The MN supra contingency is pretty good and we are more than happy to share information and past experiences to avoid troubles that we have already encountered.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Well it's good to know I have people around me who actually know what some of the problems that I'll face.

So when you say go with AEM, do you mean the full stanalone system and not the plug-n-play as NSX pointed out earlier, or have I missed something?

What do you mean "cheap out" MK3 owners never buy cheap parts, right? :) I've planned on using RC injectors (720's for pump, ~1000's for E-85), an aeromotive afpr, -6an fuel lines (if needed), and a high-flow pump (bosch 044, walbro 255, a1000). If there's something I'm missing or got wrong, let me know.

As of right now, my plan is to get the engine together and break it in, similar to what NSX has done with his. Then, either this winter or next spring, I will be doing the big HP upgrades. With that said, do you guys think the stock electronics will be OK for break-in, or should I get an EMS right away? The car will only have basic bolt-ons at that point, so I don't see a huge conflict.

Anyways, are either of you Cloud guys going to be around this weekend? I'd love to meet a couple Supra owners in person and get your ideas on what I should expect from my car! Perhaps a ride in one if the weather's nice... Thanks for the help!

By the way, I finished the wiring on the coil harness
p1396963_1.jpg

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
OEM turbo & boost is alright for brake in levels ;) I have dyno sheats proving that up to 11 lbs of boost on a stock ct-26, fuel, and elctronics is ok. Talk about running rich :( .

Fell free to come up any day of the week to cloud, I'm always here. PM me for the cell #, and swing by for a beer and talk supra's, maybe even a drive (if it's early in the day) . Funky knows what Im talking about.

Big #'s sounds fun and easy, but is expensive and hard :p.

The name is Rob by the way.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Update time!

I stopped by the machine shop to check out the progress on my engine, and it's almost done! ALso saw a cool head job being done there, too cut up 3 Nissan skyline (RB26DETT) heads and pin them back together, all in the name of ultimate flow! Pretty cool.

So, I've been cleaning parts left and right getting ready to install everything when it gets back. I also painted the oil pan, trans-engine plates, motor mounting "wings", intake manifolds, and the clutch access covers tonight. The transmission will be a weekend project, it's coated in grease and grime from 195,000 miles, but the bellhousing came pretty clean, so I'm happy about that. Here's some pics of what's new!

Nissan Head, look closely for the joint :)
p1404140_1.jpg

Painted parts
p1404140_2.jpg

p1404140_3.jpg

p1404140_4.jpg

This trans WILL be clean!
p1404140_5.jpg

Organizing all the parts to save space
p1404140_6.jpg

I think I found why my turbo is noisy
p1404140_7.jpg

Rob gets an ATI lexan cover for his car; I get a factory cover for mine. Thanks Rob!
p1404140_8.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.