Status
Not open for further replies.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Thanks, it's been a process of a summer.

For the 5M pulley, you need to add a 1/10" spacer between the shaft and it for it to line up 100%, but it might work enough as-is (didn't want to take a chance of throwing a belt, tho)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
So more updates:

Ran at the drag strip and was underwhelmed by the car's performance. Checked the data logs and found the intake air temps were around 190*f, just a little warm. So I ordered a nice new ETS intercooler. Unfortunately, the IC was about 3" bigger than advertised so slight frame modification was needed for it to fit well D:

Final install

In other news, my CF front bumper has been finished and I should be picking it up relatively soon!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Nothing much to report since haven't been able to get my hands on a 7M crank. I'll probably shoot greg a message to see if he even needs it!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Not like anything has happened since it got parked last fall, but I did start working on the shifter a bit- it's going back to stock as I await the transmission adapter- still a ways off from being testable, but 2 crankshafts will be in my hands in 2 weeks as a friend is going to be in town and has a couple junkers, just like I want!

I'll take some pics of the SOGI modded shifter that was un-modded, just as soon as I finish adjusting it to my liking and get her all cleaned up!

Edit: I don't seem to have posted the videos of my drag runs- either way here's the link:
[video=youtube;PnuRJDPq584]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnuRJDPq584&list=UUcSb1GKidTTz8VAT6tG_1Vg&feature=c4-overview[/video]

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
Just read your thread. Awesome you stuck with the 7m even with some of the problems you've had. Curious if you got the ARP inserts put into your head to stop the studs sinking into the head at high power?

Also im planning on making some upgraded shift collars and hubs for the R154's as i plan to keep mine for future plans.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
No inserts, just a head with the proper torque applied and she's holding up great! Only reason I blew the first HG was the crud in the cooling system plugging the radiator, overheating it. Got that sorted out and it's been great since!

I even got to drive it a couple nights ago which was weird since I removed the short shifter- feels like a proper truck again :p

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Steve, may be too late but trans destruction (at least locally) has been non-existent on cars running stock shifters/driveshafts However, everyone I know of locally that has used a hacked up shifter has broken at least one. I have broken 2 with a stock shifter, one very minor (bolt in shift selector rail, snapped the head off on a 1-2 power shift) and one fairly catastrophic (7200 RPM dump and three follow up very harsh power shifts). Both boxes had a ton of miles. Maybe farther down the drive line or that twin disk causing the problems. IE, local car (550whp) had a one piece al driveshaft. His trans mount was becoming worn out and was allowing too much movement. Laid into it in third, trans went beyond what the driveshaft could move and bound up. Third gear became a pulley. Just saying it might be worth a look.

Other (and admittedly probably more useful info) bit is check into late model 350Z transmissions. I believe SP is currently running a stocker over 1000whp and have personally seen them handle over 800 for a few years in a street car. Their rear end is 3.54 stock so wouldn't necessarily require a diff swap AND they can be bought new for under 2k. Also have quality clutch options so no worries there. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Yup, like I said, if the adapter plate doesn't work out I'll probably just sell the V160 to pay for a PPG gearset for the broken R154 and have a race-only trans and the built 'street' trans. It'll make a matching set with the 3.73 spooled diffy (if Weir ever finished R&D on it) and my 3.91 with a rebuilt LSD.

I'm looking into more solid rear trans mounts as well, but a lot hinges on the trans wap happening or not. I'm quite content with waiting, seeing as it just dropped another 3" of snow tonight. x.x

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Should be able to get a 3.58 ring and pinnion from wier.

I drove one car with the sogi shifter and IMO it was the worst thing ever. I want a short shifter close the steering wheel up high.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I don't really understand the appeal for these cars. I haven't had a chance to drive a car with a Nashman or C's but I'm pretty sure they don't have stops so what's the point? Idk. Used to domestics where shifters are actually an improvement over stock in throw, durability and safety lol

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Specifically shifter mods on these cars. Sogi mod makes an R154 shift like complete ass and has no benefit lol

Compared to, for example, the MGW in my Mustang. Throw is maybe 1/4 of stock, no increased effort. Has adjustable stops (set right significantly decreases risk of breaking a fork), adjustable height, angle, and centering pressure, and has no flex whatsoever.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
SOGI is cosmetic...
For an actual short shifter (change to the fulcrum) I use the Nashman v2 shortshifter (totally adjustable... is kinda cool really). I lowered the shifter handle too low (really too low.. lol) and its a pain to shift right now, I have to raise the ball again..
But it does shorten the throw significantly.
A lot of people like C's shortshifter, its a proven piece of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.