Steven89's Build Thread *no 56k!*

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Quick Links to Jump to Certain Events
Pg. 13, Post 127 - 7M-GTE Death, 1JZ-GTE Swap Begins
Pg. 15, Post 144 - Death of 89 3E5 Targa, Swap to 90 Black Hardtop Shell Begins

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi im Steven, this is my thread for documenting the progress of my Supra adventures! Enjoy the thread!

It took me about a year to find a Supra that id settle for. So after looking around at many horrible examples, i found this red 89 Turbo Targa with gray interior (just like i've wanted it). When i first looked at it, i loved it but i just didn't have the money for it. My dad said that what he was asking for it was too much. I agreed and after a lot of discussion the seller dropped the price by $1000 because he realized that i really liked his car. I sold my Jeep and spent most of my savings to get this car. It cost me $5500. Anyways, i wanted to make this thread to document what im going/have done with the car and i've always wanted to have a build thread up as i enjoy reading other peoples' build threads.

89 Turbo Targa Supra! :D

Specs -
  • Some random aluminum or steel intercooler..
  • Greddy Boost Controller (profec B)
  • Greddy Turbo Timer
  • Autometer A/F and Boost guage in A Pillar
  • Momo shift knob (that i dont like)
  • HKS SSQV BOV
  • Steel IC pipes
  • 550CC injectors
  • Walbro fuel pump
  • 3" exhaust from DP down with 3" highflow cat

Plans -
  • 57 Trim ct-26
  • DDP
  • 3" Tanabe Hyper Medallion Exhaust
  • 3" high flow cat
  • A good tune.
  • New Wheels
  • Get paint touched up
  • Targa seals
  • SAFC II (already have it but have to install)

BUT its time for some pictures.

This is what she looked like the day after i got her. I washed and waxed the that day. I was so happy :D

The Prelude is my friends' its actually a pretty nice lil car as well.

Some interior pictures.

And the engine bay.

So, after i had the car for 5 days I started having BHG symptoms. I was in BHG denial for the first day, but after a while i tested it in a way that theWeezl told me would sufficiently test it and i was sure i had a BHG.

It sat for a good 2-3 days and i then decided that i would get started on fixing it.

While it was sitting for 2-3 days i figured i would fix my BOV problem as it just didn't work right and it was most likely slowly killing the turbo. When i got the car the BOV didn't have a flange for the vacuum fitting on it. So i got a friend of mine to drill out the hole and get a piece of a brake line to fit it.

After i had fixed the BOV i decided that id get started on disassembling the engine to get to the head gasket.

This is where i was at after a day of work. Started at 11am went on until 8:30pm. Drained oil and this is what it looked like.

Last edited:

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
The next morning i kept working and got to this after about an hour or two. Heh, guess which ones blew.

So i set off cleaning parts (head and block) for the headgasket, also kept in touch with my friends. lol dad took this picture

And here is what my workspace looks like.

Here is another project that me and my dad are gonna get going on as soon as i finish my HG job.

And this is what im stuck driving for now, this is my old car. I sold it to my mom as i wanted it in the family. Its a really good car and an awesome DD.

Last edited:

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Got Boost? said:
planning to start up a cult following for the Beatles with that there haircut?

of course :D heh ill probably get a haircut again soon... sometimes i just feel like growing my hair out.. sometimes i dont

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Are they on either sides of the engine bay? Possibly be TEMS sensor thingys (even if you dont have TEMS)

What headgasket are you getting?

Nice start to a build!! Whatch out for mine coming to a thread near you!!

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
TurboFreak88 said:
What headgasket are you getting?

Nice start to a build!! Whatch out for mine coming to a thread near you!!

Went with a Felpro and ARP studs! heh, i sure will be watching out for yours!

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Felpro... *sighs* How long have you been around Supras and this site and you STILL wanna go with a composite HG? Do you want to go through this again in six months? Coin up and get a cometic or a titan metal hg...

Anyway good luck with the build... Thats an incredible looking BHG, you might wanna save that as a trophy... :D

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
TurboFreak88 said:
Are they on either sides of the engine bay? Possibly be TEMS sensor thingys (even if you dont have TEMS)

Its definitely not TEMS as i left them hooked up.

Reign_Maker said:
Felpro... *sighs* How long have you been around Supras and this site and you STILL wanna go with a composite HG? Do you want to go through this again in six months? Coin up and get a cometic or a titan metal hg...

Anyway good luck with the build... Thats an incredible looking BHG, you might wanna save that as a trophy... :D

I considered all my options and just decided that i wanted to get in some seat time. Which is why i went with a composite. Also if it blows again im going to go all out with new pistons, rods, etc etc. :D

Last edited:

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Reign_Maker said:
Steven, TMS mhg from Titan, about $100... Its good insurance man...

Good luck man...

Im not gonna be taking out the block to get it machined/decked though. Would it still be ok? Is there any certain RA spec needed for this TMS MHG? Thats really the only reason i went with a OEM style HG..

Thanks for all the kind words. More updates tomorrow. If the TMS HG is good to use on a non machined head/block then id go with it but it is a MHG so i doubt it.

But reassembly should start tomorrow unless i cant get the EGR gasket, the gasket for the coolant rail, and the turbo oil feed rail. I need these 3 sets to have enough to reassemble.. :icon_conf

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
didn't get gaskets yesterday but i got some gasket material from weezl so i made a few, only need to make EGR gaskets now and i should be able to reassemble.

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
steven89 said:
I considered all my options and just decided that i wanted to get in some seat time. Which is why i went with a composite. Also if it blows again im going to go all out with new pistons, rods, etc etc. :D
You will end up doing it.
Take it from me, I know personally, not even 3k miles and rod knock...
I'd suggest doing it all while you have it apart...

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Heres my progress today!

First i got my heat working, i had a JDM coolant rail so the heater core return line was on the wrong side of the engine, but the USDM one was still there just blocked.. So i went to weezls house and got it drilled out and had him show me how to make a few gaskets and scored some gasket material from him as well.

Heat is gonna work now! woot!!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Made my car a 3.45L

This is what i got to today, ARPs are in just need to be torqued down.

Here are some of the gaskets that are ready. I made them out of some gasket material.

What should i torque down my headstuds to?

Last edited:

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
HellsLegion said:
The package says like 84 ft lbs or somthing. I think thats the norm.

Good work!

they updated it.. as mine says 80.. but i see/read/hear about a lot of people torquing to 90-95... should i do this?