Steven89's Build Thread *no 56k!*

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX

What its at now, it actually runs but one of the capacitors in my ECU is blown. JDMMA70's dad is looking at it and going to attempt to fix it, after that its off to the exhaust shop then itll be done! I have a video of one of the first starts, but i need to edit/clip it down. Ill update more when i get the ECU back! :)

Also, no leaks whatsoever so far! WOOT! The old 7m used to make a nice little spot in my driveway everytime i parked it.

Last edited:

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Looks good. Dam you should of run the main engine harness behind the firewall. It looks bad with those zip ties and how it hangs over the heater stuff. It makes it look so much cleaner. Much easier without all the ducting installed under the dash. You have to drill a new hole by the gas pedal/heater core for the harness. If you are looking for something to do before you drive your car.... lol just a suggestion. Good build m8

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
planemos;1842358 said:
Looks good. Dam you should of run the main engine harness behind the firewall. It looks bad with those zip ties and how it hangs over the heater stuff. It makes it look so much cleaner. Much easier without all the ducting installed under the dash. You have to drill a new hole by the gas pedal/heater core for the harness. If you are looking for something to do before you drive your car.... lol just a suggestion. Good build m8
I never liked that routing by the radio/brakebooster, sounds like a PITA to access ecu and get at the rest of the wires. Dont you need to extend the body harness plugs to run it there anyways, not to mention cutting another hole for the harness? And the zip-ties are getting changed for some more subtle ones soon, but those were the only ones i had that were big enough for the harness; it was either those or fluorescent orange or pink zip-ties.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
So, I figured its time to update my thread. Quite a bit has happened and along the way the 1jz has provided we with reliable transportation by Supra (most of the time, more on that).

I had been driving the Supra with the 1jz swap reliably minus a going through about 3 ECUs total before getting a decent one. But other than that it looked exactly like the last picture I posted of it but with a Synapse BOV instead of the HKS.
The car was driven up until Thanksgiving (Nov 27 2014) which on that night through my own inattentive driving caused me to rear end someone who stopped/slammed on their brakes at a green light. After hitting them they took off and I never saw them again; they must have been drunk.

Obviously this sucks but im past it and decided to move on and find a new shell and then swap everything over!
Anyways, on to the pics!

Oh btw, I ended up getting a set of Staggered Bronze Rota Grid's to replace my MKIV wheels.

This is the gas station parking spot where I pushed the Supra to after the crash and left it overnight. The crash happened at the light to the right of the back of the car actually. Took this picture while waiting on the tow truck to get it home.

So after towing it home I pretty quickly decided to get a new shell and swap everything over.
I started looking around on craigslist, and let everyone know I was in need of a new shell.
A buddy of mine mentioned to JDMMA70 that he would be willing to sell me a shell at $1500 OBO that he had been intending on using for a LSX or xJZ swap. Mentioned it had fairly fresh paint in some House of Kolors Metallic Black. I told him I was very interested and wanted some pictures.

These are the pictures he sent me by phone, this was during the thanksgiving holidays and the owner wouldn't be back to do anything with the car until around Christmas break.
1990 Supra Hardtop Non-Turbo Automatic

I was sold on the shell pretty quickly but wanted to see it in person when he got back into town. I ended up buying the shell on December 27 (2014 for reference) for $1250 with a radiator and the 90 7m-ge harness that was in it to help the swap and him transporting to my house which was about a 10 minute drive away. Once I had the new Supra/shell home I started ordering parts that I knew were crushed or needed replacing. But we had a few days of constant rain, cold weather, and winds that made it pretty much unbearable to work on with it being outside. As soon as it stopped raining all the time I put on a couple sweaters and started working on it.

And some better pictures of the Black 90 :D

Anyways, its 4AM now and im gonna go to bed so I can keep working on it tomorrow! Its progressed far from those pictures where its state is that it has no drivetrain, has the automatic shifter still in place, and has dark maroon (deep red?) interior. Ill post more as I go!

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
BlackDevilSupra;2036232 said:
What manifold is that and where did you source it?

That manifold is made by a Lexus SC300 guy named Drewgo I believe. Cant really find them anymore except for in the for sale threads every now and then. The ebay manifolds these days are just fine as long as you brace the turbo flange properly once you get it.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
So anyways have some time here to post an update from the last pics you guys saw. I'll explain as I go with the pictures! :p

So I started ordering a bunch of parts. Atleast the ones I knew I had to replace. I didn't order the radiator at this point because there was still hope that the previous owner might have been able to get me one.

2JZ-GE Fan Blade with 2JZ-GE/GTE Fan Clutch (the clutch is the same im pretty sure for Supra only on 2jz)

Dug out my 1JZ motor mount brackets that came with my motor since the new shell has a 89+ subframe.

Bought some MKIV motor mounts.

Bought a Mishimoto R line 31" x 12" x 4" Intercooler

Bought new Aisin Master/Slave Clutch cylinders and had a SS clutch line made (copied from a friends SS line)
Figured it would be easier to install this than to try to remove and reinstall the stock hardline.

Bought a new A/C Condenser, Drier, Evaporator Core(not pictured), and Expansion Valve so I can have working A/C again.

Found some polyurethane powersteering rack bushings on ebay. Figured id get them and replace those while its easy to do.

Then I bought a couple unnecessary things like an alarm system and JDM bubble markers from Rodel. But theyre things id definitely want down the road. And the alarm will definitely be easier to install when I have the dash out and all. The bubble markers were brand new in packaging so I couldnt pass them up. :D

I also ordered some crush washers in 16mm and 12mm for fuel and PS lines from summit for $5 each pack for 10 in each pack.

And a Weir Performance LSD kit. I'll be rebuilding my LSD (first time ever) before I put it in my black car so i'll be rolling on my open diff for a couple weeks probably.

So then maybe about two weeks ago now, JDMMA70 got off work early to help me pull the engine out of the red car. We set it down on the garage floor on top of a tire; then he had to leave right after we pulled it but would be back to help drop it in to the new car the next day.

While the engine was sitting in the garage I took the starter off and changed the contacts in it since I just had replacement sitting around.

Wrapped the clutch line partially in rubber tubing then routed the clutch line but didn't secure it yet. I didn't know exactly where it needed to go once both master/slave cylinders were in place.

JDMMA70 came back the next day after helping me pull it. I/we had to make a trip to the hardware store to get new bolts for the motor mount brackets as I had cut my previous ones to fit the BIC motor mount plates. After a couple trips to the hardware store due to not realizing the MKIV motor mount nut is larger than 7M mount nut; we had the engine in the car.

I'll post more updates as I go.