Removing multiplex from 7MGTE for less than $200

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
I think the LS2 coils have a built in 'dumb' ignitor, but since the AEM only has 5 ignition inputs, you will need to figure out something custom. The DH61 only works properly with the stock 7MGTE coils, or the 2JZ-GE wastefire coils (as far as I know).

SupraMKIII-NO

Jan 11, 2010
Norway
Hmm, i think the AEM EMS have six inputs:

Pin number: 18A (COIL3), 19A (COIL2), 20A (COIL1), 5C (COIL4), 6C (COIL5), C7 Inj10(coil driver) / (available spare coil driver). So can't the C7 pin work as a sixth coil?

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
You can, but it takes alot of setup fiddling to make it work properly. If you already have the LS2 coils, it might be worth it. Otherwise I would just stick with a wastefire setup - if you want to run pencil coils you can always get a CDI box that will drive 6 coils from 3 inputs on waste fire.

SupraMKIII-NO

Jan 11, 2010
Norway
Hi!

yes, i already have it :S so does anyone know how to hook it up, and by that i'm thinking in the AEM software.. I do know how to install them, but not how to "tune" them in AEM. Because i do need to use the 10injc driver as a sixth coil driver, and the LS2 coils need 5v signal, so does anyone know if the COIL signals from the AEM is 5v og ground signals?

SupraMKIII-NO

Jan 11, 2010
Norway
Btw, meybe i can hook up the LS2 coils and rund them as "waste spark"?? I think that's the way to do it.. then i do not need to use 6 coil inputs, only 3?? =)

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
No idea - I only have experience using this mod for stock and 2JZ-GE coils, and using a 6 channel CDI to fire 6 pencil coils on waste fire from 3 inputs.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
not a good idea to run cop coils that are not waste spark type as a waste spark. ls1 coils are not waste spark and would not have enough time at higher rpms to charge properly before being triggered. waste spark are designed to spark twice per cycle and can charge properly in the half time allowed. ls1/ pencil coils have twice as long to charge before discharge so the coil is designed for this. same for ignitors. a 6 channel ignitor will calculate the tach output and a waste spark 3 channel will calc the tac differently since it expects to be triggered twice as often. thats regaurding toyota ignitors which calcs rpms for tach.

the aem has 5 coil channels according to their tech number. as mentioned you can use 0-5v to trigger the built in ingnitor coils but i think you would loose many other options these 5v pins did. also changing around the aem cal file to run that is a major pita. i would rather wire in a universal aem ecu than screw with that. the stock coils are rather good even for high hp. is300 coils very nice also. 3 channel ignitor to replace multi sh!t is great.

firing order is 1,5,3,6,2,4 if needed.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Depends on the ignitor - there are several CDI systems that can charge and fire pencil coils twice per cycle in waste fire configuration quite easily. Trying to use standard coil on plug with or without dumb ignitors in waste fire when it is not designed to do so can cause issues for sure.

Put-it-in-your-Mouth

cholo supreme
Apr 4, 2005
@ the Bodega chilling wit Carlito
My DH61 was labeled a little different. instead of IN1, IN2, IN3 i think its T1,T2,T3 Correct?

this is how i hooked it up as labeled on both the DH61 ign and 7Mgte ign after i took the cover off.

DH61 Ign --------------------------------------7MGTE Ign

C1 ---------------------------------------------C3
C2 ---------------------------------------------C1
C3 ---------------------------------------------C2
B+----------------------------------------------B+
GND---------------------------------------------Body ground
TAC---------------------------------------------TAC
T1-----------------------------------------------IGT
T2-----------------------------------------------IGA
T3-----------------------------------------------IGB
IGF----------------------------------------------IGF

Can anyone tell me if this is Correct? Thanks

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
your pins are correct. you may see IG1,IG2,IG3 as labels on the 7MGt side instead of using C1 etc as it will tell you your on the ecu side and not ignitor.

also remember if you check the wiring to the coils that coils are in the coil pack as
1&6 then 3&4 then 2&5 and installed in pack as
c1 then c3 then c2 for a firing order of (dont know why its not c1,c2,c3)
1 , 5 , 3 , 6 , 2 , 4
notice how the firing order goes left coil, right coil, center coil and repeats for waste spark, so trace all this and check the ign phasing order and you will be able to confirm that firing order. as long as the phasing fires the coils to achieve this firing ordrer in coordination with the physical wiring it will work.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
It's because for the 7M, Toyota numbered the coils based on the cylinder they fire (1 and 6 is C1, 2 and 5 is C2, 3 and 4 is C3), so the firing order is c1, c2, c3, c1, c2, c3 etc.

For the 2JZ-GE DH-61 equipped cars, the coils are numbered from front to back in the valley between valve covers, (2 and 5 is C1, 3 and 4 is C2, 1 and 6 is C3) as the coils sit on cylinders 2, 4 and 6 and have wires running to the odd cylinders. so your firing order is c3, c1, c2, c3, c1, c2 etc.

So you need to convert the coil numbering from the 7M-GTE to 2JZ-GE formats. To do this you use:

output 1 = coil 3
output 2 = coil 1
output 3 = coil 2

Bottom line is that C1 from the DH61 should go to the coil firing cylinders 1/6, C2 should go to 2/5 and C3 should go to 3/4

Last edited:

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Any 3 channel should work, but it might not drive the stock tach properly, and the dwell might not be correct for the coils you are using. This guide only covers using the DH61 to drive 2JZ-GE or 7M-GTE wastefire coils. If you are using the 300ZX coils, and can get the tach to work, it is an option.