Removing multiplex from 7MGTE for less than $200

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
dh61 installed. looks like it went a long way to stabilize my idle. Idle is still rough at anything over 12:1 AFRs, but that's likely the cheap shitty fouled plugs I've got in there.

phasing (for some reason) is

must have bunged up the wiring somehow.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Mine won't idle any leaner than around 12.5:1 - I'm guess it is because it gets below the minimum pulse width for the injectors, owing to their semi-sequiential firing order.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
You haven't gone to sequential injection? I made an attempt, but I could not get injector channel 9/10 to fire consistently.

I'm going to see if I can get it to run better by altering the batch phasing from 0 0 0 0 0 0 to 4.5 8.5 0.5 0.5 8.5 4.5. The way AEM had the batch fire set up can't be anywhere near ideal...fuel is being injected at different points in each "pair" of cylinders.

I refuse to accept a 12:1 AFR when the oem computer can idle perfectly fine at 14.7:1.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
I already set the injector phasing up properly - helped alot with high RPM power, but still need to idle rich.

Alot of standalones need to idle rich. Just a fact of life I guess - no biggie for me.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
3 banks. Wired as stock. Bank firing order goes A-C-C-B-B-A with A being cyl 1 and 4, B being 2 and 6 and C being 3 and 5

Phasing set to 8 teeth for bank A (TDC intake for cyl 4), 0 teeth for bank B (TDC intake for cyl 6) and 16 teeth for bank C (TDC intake for cyl 5)

This makes it at least inject fuel when the valve is open in the first cylinder to fire of that bank.

This is with 24 'fuel' teeth. If i were to go to sequential injection using injector outputs 7, 8 and 9 for cylinders 4, 5 and 6 I would do:

Injector 1: 12 teeth (cyl 1)
Injector 2: 4 teeth (cyl 2)
Injector 3: 20 teeth (cyl 3)
Injector 7: 8 teeth (cyl 4)
Injector 8: 16 teeth (cyl 5)
Injector 9: 0 teeth (cyl 6)

Make sure to disable injectors 4, 5 and 6 under this scenario so 1, 2 and 3 (which are just mirrored) don't fire twice. You can then use the fuel injector advance map to fine tune the injection event advance before TDC intake of that specific cylinder. I would aim for a fairly linear increase from around 0 degrees advance at idle, to at least 50 degrees over 6000 RPM.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
ah, i see what you did there (it took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure it out). so the end result is that there is a tad more residence time for the fuel in the second cylinder of the bank to fire? I'd imagine that at high speeds, this delay is relatively inconsequential.

In the interim, before sending my ECU back to AEM to solve the injector 6 problem, I'm contemplating swapping the wiring of injectors 4, 5, and 6 around to run 1/6, 2/5, and 3/4 in banks, similar to the batch ignition, and running on 12 crank teeth. Then fire 1/6 approx. 30 degrees advanced of #1 TDC (and so on with 2/5 and 3/4) so one injecton event is spraying at the end of the valve closing, and one spraying at the beginning of the valve opening. I guess that would give me a phasing of 11.5, 3.5, 7.5. for the banks. Might give this a try tonight...

Last edited:

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
I wouldn't bother with the .5 - I use that in the ignition map to make setting the base timing easier, but for fuel you can just use round numbers.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
the new phasing completely changed the way the car idles....for the better. no more misfiring and "burbling". With that said, i went for a different approach, injecting fuel onto closed valves. It reduces the injection differences between the first and second cylinders of the batch to nearly zero.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Yeah, you can set the banks about 6 - 8 teeth earlier than I did to inject on closed valves. I found this hurt my top end power, however.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
yep, thats exactly what I did. I'll just tweak the advance map to inject for the best high-rpm power when I head to the dyno...next year.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Had a look back at my dyno charts and saw the following:

Best power achieved with a inject advance map starting at 0 and going to around 90 degrees at 7000 RPM.

Base injector advance set to 0 teeth

Injector phasing as follows:

#1 12 teeth
#2 4 teeth
#3 20 teeth
#4 8 teeth
#5 16 teeth
#6 0 teeth

Dunno why it made more power that way than just setting it as before, with each of the 3 banks only firing at one position. Also idles much better with the above settings.

Nice thing is you just move the toothe values from 4, 5 and 6 to 7, 8 and 9 if you go sequiential.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
hmm, so you are firing the injectors each once per revolution...I'd imagine that may not work with larger injectors however.

Firing onto closed valves, my car idled and drove as if I was on the stock ECU. Night and day difference to the 0 0 0 0 0 0 injector phasing. I also noticed that the idle lope/missfire was directly influenced by the idle mixture. The leaner the mixture, the more popping from the exhaust. I think i might close the plug gap a tad and see if this goes away.

Who did you take your car to for dyno tuning? There is nobody in Edmonton even close to capable of tuning the AEM.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
I took it to dynomotive and tuned it myself. Toma gave me a good rate since I did all the tuning and operated the dyno.

You need to fire each injector once per rev with 3 batches no matter what, like with waste fire coils. We'll see how it works going to 650s from 440s.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
sorry, I meant twice per rev, due to the redundant wiring of the injectors. I imagine you could just have easily run off 12 fuel teeth and ran a phasing of:
#1 0 teeth
#2 4 teeth
#3 8 teeth
#4 8 teeth
#5 4 teeth
#6 0 teeth

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I'm new to the AEM and have finished my installation but cannot start. About 10% of the time it will stumble for around a second or two and then stall. The remaining 90% is a no start.

I'm trying to troubleshoot starting with my wiring. Wiring the DH61 when using the stock coil packs should be like this, correct?

p1634956_1.png

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
wire it as posted in FC's original post - your wiring does not appear correct - pin 1 corresponds to c2, which should connect to coil 1 out (blue/red). Using the wiring in the first post, the necessary ignition phasing to get the car running was

Last edited:

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
don't correct both, only correct one of them.

Leaving your wiring as is, you could use the phasing order of 4.5, 8.5 and 0.5 to get the car running. If you fix the wiring to match my guide (coil 1 to C2, coil 2 to C3 and coil 3 to C1) then you would use 0.5, 4.5 and 8.5.