Removing multiplex from 7MGTE for less than $200

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
I haven't read through all of the thread yet but I went to our local pick a part and found one of these lying about, picked it up for cheap, I'm not sure of the specifications of it or if it can even be used. I liked that the coils overall are alot smaller and seems it comes off a renault, here's a link to an auction that has the same one, usable or throwaway? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RENAULT-ESPA...ON-COIL-PACK-PART-No-7700850999-/140781963758

edit: Either way I finally finished reading the entire thread heh, seems none of the mk4 supras here have that ignitor but alot of chasers/crestas/crowns had them so I'm gonna hunt down the jzx100 chassis and see if I can pinch the igniter :D

Last edited:

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Anything with a 2JZ-GE that has coil on plug has the correct igniter. As will some V6s (5VZ-FE?) DH61 and 62 have both been confirmed to work, although realistically any 3 channel igniter and its matching coils will work (it just happens that the DH61 and 62 match the stock 7M coils, and the JZ waste fire coils which are a common upgrade on 7Ms) you will just need to figure out the wiring and software setup if it isn't the igniters in this guide.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
Suprra_girl
that appears to be a waste spark smart coil on that link not an ignitor. any waste spark coil may work. but that coil appears to have 3 wires which makes it a smart coil that does not use an igintor but the third wire is a trigger with a 5 volt trigger. that will work with some standalones but not with the aem for our cars or oem ecus. the mk3 and mk4 Na-T aem can use same ignitor. the mk4 aem may use a 6 channel ignitor I don't recall.

i have seen some kias that have 2 wire trigger waste spark coils that would work i think but i have not tried them.
hal

Last edited:

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
JZ waste fire coils aren't an upgrade but common for people to replace aging 7M coils with and assume it was an upgrade.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
Hmm another quick question for those smarties :)

A long time ago I picked up a mitsi igniter, in some thread a couple years ago or so I believe they were going to use this igniter with aftermarket ecus, is it still viable? (Being dh61's aren't too common here) here's a pic of what it looks like.
I can't really remember the details but I was digging around in the garage and found it, reminded me what I was going to do with it heh.

52-127-1-j723t8106+md_349207+j723t_8106+md349207+j9t05171.jpg

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Just a PSA and a bump from the dead - I upgraded to the DH61 igniter in accordance with this thread, as well as installing is300 coils a while back. If this igniter and is300 coils are used with an AEM, you need to modify the dwell settings to get the coils operating in their happy place. If you select 93-98 2jz-ge in the coil dwell wizard, you end up with a dwell around 1.8 ms. These coils are happiest at 3.3-3.5 ms. To make the change, modify the coil dwell factor (mine is 15 i think) and the max teeth value (up to 3.5 from 2.0). Log dwell to verify that the settings work - if you dwell exceeds 3.5, drop the dwell factor until it does. Your car will likely run smoother through the rev range.

Adam

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
The wizard settings give you a dwell of about 2.0 to 2.3ms - worked fine for me up over 450 WHP but I have a HKS TwinPower box so that probably helps. I found that the 2JZ-GE waste fire style coils are fine with a charge time up to about 3.1 to 3.2ms (see here http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...itor-Operation-amp-Alternative-Ignition-Coils )

I ended up setting max teeth to 3.5 and dwell factor at 16, this gave me a dwell time right around 3.1ms - seemed to run the same as before, but should give a stronger spark.

All this being said, I am not certain that the 3 channel igniter DH61 acts in this manner (dumb igniter that uses the ECU to set the dwell) - it might automatically charge the coils (ignoring the rising side of the ignition signal) and just use the falling side of the ignition signals to trigger the coil.

Like I said, it was running fine beforehand.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Quick update:

My HKS DLI died a smelly, smoky death and they are now discontinued. I twiddled with the dwell settings, based on this thread:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1063121-VVT-i-measured-coil-dwell-and-results

It looks like the max dwell you want is 3.6ms, which works out to a dwell factor of 18. For max teeth, the igniter will only charge the coils one at a time, so with 3 coils firing on 12 ignition teeth (waste fire mode, the total number of trigger teeth is 24 but each coil fires twice) the max you could set 'max teeth' to is 4.0 meaning that after 5,556 RPM the dwell will start to drop (max dwell = 1/RPM multiplied by 60,000, then divide by 3 since it has 3 coils to charge each engine rotation). I set it to 3.6 (dwell drops after 5,000 RPM - 1/(3.6 / (3.6/12) / 60,000) ) and left the minimum at 0.5, the whole system seems to be handling the boost and power no problem without the DLI. Ideal solution may be some kind of CDI box, or an ecu with built in igniters that can charge the coils better. I logged the dwell vs rpm with a couple road pulls and it holds the 3.6 ms up to 5,000 RPM, dropping to 2.6 by 7,000. This is fine as the highest possibility of spark blowout is at the torque peak, not peak RPM.

If you had a better ECM that could drive the coils directly - 3.6ms would still be the ideal charge time, but this would be fine up to 16,667 RPM if you can charge the coils at the same time, each coil only needs to fire once per engine rotation. 1/(3.6 / 60,000).

Last edited: