Removing multiplex from 7MGTE for less than $200

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
You should be able to make the CDI control the IS300 coil packs without using the stock ignitor or a DH61, as the CDI can function as a stand alone 3 channel ignitor, as opposed to amplifier only boxes like the HKS Twinpower. The setup will be similar, but you will pick the AEM CDI option in the ignitor wizard, and wire it up for 3 channel as explained in the CDI manual. As far as tach signal goes, I have no idea if you will need a tach adapter or not.

CtownDawgs88

Doin' the Best I Can.....
Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
Funky C - I have the AEM twin fire CDI (part # 30=2821), and all of the wiring diagrams show connections to a ignitor. Besides that I have read in the forums that the stock ignitor calculates dwell and controls an output for the tach. Also could not find any wizard for ignitor in the aem sw. Thx

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
For some reason I thought the AEM CDI could control the coils directly, without an igniter - maybe a different part number? You can always run any type of CDI ignition amplifier with the DH61 - follow my instructions to set up the DH61, then use the CDI wiring diagrams to hooke it up between the DH61 and coils.

87turbosupra

"The 87' Burgundy"
Apr 11, 2005
Colo Spgs, CO
I've read through this write up a few times, I'm still having some trouble getting the car to start.
When cranking it will sputter some, and is dumping fuel out the down pipe.
I have the IS300 coils, 1350cc FIC injectors/ E85, wired for sequential injection.

Under ignition phasing what should the ignition sync and pick up delay comp be set to.

I have the injector phasing set to:

inj 1:0
inj 2:16
inj 3:8
inj 4:0
inj 5:0
inj 6:0
inj 7:20
inj 8:4
inj 9:12
inj 10:0

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Sounds like an ignition phasing/setup problem. You should be able to at least get the car to start with the injector phasing all set to 0, it might just run like crap.

87turbosupra

"The 87' Burgundy"
Apr 11, 2005
Colo Spgs, CO
Ok it starts now, but runs like shit, and wont idle. Have to keep my foot on the gas. I dont have an IAC motor anymore, just
a block off plate.

fuel spark teeth: 24
ignition spark teeth: 12

ignition sync teeth: 1.17
pickup delay: 130
ign tooth 1: 4.5
ign tooth 2: 8.5
ign tooth 3: .5

inj 1:0
inj 2:16
inj 3:8
inj 4:0
inj 5:0
inj 6:0
inj 7:20
inj 8:4
inj 9:12
inj 10:0

injectors 1,2,3 7,8,9,10 enabled and marked as primary w/02 feedback
coils 1,2,3 enabled w/ knock 1 & 2 checked

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
87turbosupra;1771155 said:
Ok it starts now, but runs like shit, and wont idle. Have to keep my foot on the gas. I dont have an IAC motor anymore, just
a block off plate.

Ever think that might be your problem?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
you don't need an IAC if you have a standalone, it just makes tuning idle alot easier. My car doesn't have one, and it idles just fine. Still more tuning required on cold start, but everywhere else is pretty good.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
If it runs on 6 cylinders and you can get the timing set up with a light, then you have the ignition setup done properly. The rest is fuel timing.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Enraged;1771310 said:
you don't need an IAC if you have a standalone, it just makes tuning idle alot easier. My car doesn't have one, and it idles just fine. Still more tuning required on cold start, but everywhere else is pretty good.

This is about the worst thing anyone could do to their car or recommend to another, IMO. The OP has a block off plate installed so it should be easy to put the IAC back on. From the ignition settings it seems he has an AEM EMS which is setup to use the stock IAC in the startup calibration. It takes a little tweaking, but once setup right it should start and idle in all conditions and seasons without any assistance, calibration changes, or screw turning. Mine does.

87turbosupra

"The 87' Burgundy"
Apr 11, 2005
Colo Spgs, CO
Well I spent a few hours reading through the AEM instruction manual and found out how to enter my correct fuel injector size.
I have 1350cc FIC injectors, the fuel injector wizard only goes upto 1000cc, but I can adjust that now. Also I need to set the base ignition timing with the injectors disabled. I'm obviously new to this, but I'll get it going.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Not to take this thread too far off topic but:

It sounds like you ran the injector setup wizard. That should change only the battery offset table (ie injector response time). It does not rescale your fuel map. For that you will need to right click on the fuel map and select 'Change injector/pressure' (do not select rescale or optimize, they do not do what you think they do). It should allow you to type in any number for injector size.

If you're starting out with the original AEM fuel map the original injectors are 440cc @ 43.5psi. You're likely using a 3.5 or 5 bar map sensor which adds a couple more steps to manually "rescale" the fuel (and ignition) maps to match the range of the map sensor.

Once you read this you may want to ask an admin to clean these posts out of this thread.

Boosted Supra

AEM 7MGTE 6765
Apr 7, 2005
Valley Stream, New York, United States
I have a question.

I currently wired up a DH61 (simple to do), I changed all the options in AEM but when setting Spark Teeth to 12, car would not start. It's currently set at 4 right now and car is started, while car is started I move the spark teeth to 5, it dies. So my question to you is, what do I do? Thanks

Also idle AFR is right now at 11.9 - 12.9

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
To be sure check off multiplex. Turn on coils 1-2-3. Set ign phase coils 1-2-3 to 0.5/4.5/8.5. I think that is right. And 12 spark tooth is correct Also the ign SYmc number tells the AEM where the position of the cps is in it's slot and thus what tooth is TDc on cyl 1. The ign Sync number varies with the position of the slot and lock down nut. Once the cps is locked down and timong gun checked the number will be that always. If u did not change cps then it's ok.
Also be sure to bolt down Ignitor ground wire.

Boosted Supra

AEM 7MGTE 6765
Apr 7, 2005
Care to point me step by step where to find multiplex? I went to ignition and found something that says "ign mux". I unchecked that box. Even if I check the box while the car is started it does nothing. As far as the CPS goes, CPS was re-timed about 3 weeks ago, etc...I did ground the ignitor which was position #3, I ground it at the drivers side shock tower right at the resister with the stock boost gauge module.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Folow my instructions in this thread, make sure you check the spark teeth set to 12 and the phasing is set as I indicated. Also use the dwell wizard as per the instructions. If that won't work, something is wired wrong.

Boosted Supra

AEM 7MGTE 6765
Apr 7, 2005
OK Here is what I have. Please note that I am not using IS300 coils. I'm still using 7MGTE coils.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Direct Link

http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/BoostedSupraMK3/

Last edited: