Removing multiplex from 7MGTE for less than $200

HENRY SIEMON

Dont be scare
Nov 13, 2006
San Juan, PR
another question,,,
I am interested in getting the Pencil coils so need advices & feedbacks.

Anyone using the Pencil coils on their setup now?

Do i need to get the 8 channel Twin fire(like aem 30-2820) to go with the pencil coils

and eliminate the ignitor or I still need the ignitor?

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
To use pencil coils, you need a matching ignitor that has at least 6 channels (one for each coil). Alternatively you can set it up with a 3 channel ignitor in waste fire mode, but it needs to be an ignitor that is compatible with the pencil coils. the DH61 should on be used with the 7MGTE or 2JZ-GE Toyota waste fire coil packs. When going to pencil coils you remove it, and drive the 3 or 6 channel ignitor with the ECU outputs.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
NO - i just said that the DH61 is only for use with the stock type or 2JZ-GE packs. You need to get a proper ignitor that matches the pencil coils.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
I really don't want to get into modifying peoples cal files for them. The instructions for setting it up in the AEM are very simple - easier than actually wiring in the igniter.

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
Could someone please post or PM pics of their DH61 installed and wired up in the engine bay? I think i understand the pin out and what needs to adjusted on the AEM software. But my car is in a shop right now getting some work done and i asked them if they could also wire up my DH61 ignitor for me. I sent them a link to this thread, but they said they never done it before and dont feel comfortable wiring it up unless maybe i can get some pics.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Just by showing them the diagam the Funkycheese made up should be enough... I'll ceck to see if I have any pics saved of that wiring, though.

Edit: I looked but I don't think I have it loaded to PB. I can take a picture and label the wires if you need when I get hime from wok today (should be around 9:30 cst)

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
toyotanos;1741923 said:
Just by showing them the diagam the Funkycheese made up should be enough... I'll ceck to see if I have any pics saved of that wiring, though.

Edit: I looked but I don't think I have it loaded to PB. I can take a picture and label the wires if you need when I get hime from wok today (should be around 9:30 cst)

Yea. If you could that for me, that would be great. Thanks!

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
It would be Kool if we had tech YouTube videos made by members that showed the community "how to"
Don't get me wrong all the good info provided to us on this forum is great but having a video would help.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
I'm having a bit of an issue with this on my car. I have a DH62 igniter, which from what we learned is the same as the DH61 (if I'm wrong, please correct me).

So the base timing got set, the car started up and ran fine under vacuum, but as soon as we hit boost it starting crapping out. Can anyone suggest things to double check? Anyone else have this issue?

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
I would triple check all the ignition settings, especially that you used the coil wizard etc. as I explained. Also don't forget to check the base timing.

CtownDawgs88

Doin' the Best I Can.....
Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
I have the same problem with the stock ignitor - looking to get IS300 coils and ditch the stock coil packs.

Will the DH61 ignitor work with AEM CDI and the IS300 coil setup?

Right now the stock ignitor is breaking up real bad when the boost kicks in, with or without the CDI connected. ~ Thanks