Race Ready 7M

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
OK I can see it
Out of curiosity was there a reason for having the hole be on a vertical surface rather than on the horizontal surface right next to it? Was it less prone to cavitation or just better placed to route the line from there?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Just keep in mind it's flammable at 51% Van, I was a bit shocked when I did a burn test with mine as I'd been spraying it though the Washers all over the car, I was mixing 50/50 but adding a Bug remover that was mostly .... Methanol... ;)

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
IJ.;2028951 said:
Just keep in mind it's flammable at 51% Van, I was a bit shocked when I did a burn test with mine as I'd been spraying it though the Washers all over the car, I was mixing 50/50 but adding a Bug remover that was mostly .... Methanol... ;)
Snow Performance's "Boost Juice" is 51% Meth and that is what the car is using.
IJ, I've purchased the AEM brand H2O/Meth kit. What type of seal do you recommend using to seal the fittings on the stock, washer fluid tank?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
The car picked up a stone in the radiator. VIP Performance tried to get it repaired, but I had to purchase a new one. I got the one off DM for under $200. Aaron claims it will do the job at my HP level (400WHP).
Also, I replaced the aging (4 years) electric fan with the Mishimoto fan and shroud kit.
This time I'm installing a stainless screen with 1/8 inch grid to help prevent further FOD to this new radiator, not to mention both the intercooler and the oil cooler.
The car is also getting a shifter boot from DM that fits the Beech short shifter, to help contain the oil that comes up the shifter.

Attachments

• DM3052-2 Shifter Boot.jpg
    DM3052-2 Shifter Boot.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 21
  • FOD Screen.jpg
    FOD Screen.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 16
  • mishimoto fan kit.jpg
    mishimoto fan kit.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 16
  • new radiator.jpg
    new radiator.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
If that is the 12 in fan kit, im kinda sure they are the cheep china fan kit. And they did not do it for you. They suck ( as in they dont work very well). I broke one then went to a summit racing one (china fan) more cfm they claimed but same shit on track. Coolant temps hit 240 when going hard. Did my spal set up and coolant temps will only hit 215 ish when running hard. Return the fans if you can. I made a video if you care to see it.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Thanks for UR perspective on the Mishimoto fan and shroud kit. If /when that problem raises it's ugly head, I'll swap out the broken fan. Right now the car only has one fan, it's old and I replace electric fans every four years anyway, as a precaution to outright failure. I have a local source for high CFM fans at cost.
I'll pass on the Vid... :)

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I've been tracking the Supra since 2009. As an item breaks, I replace it with an upgraded replacement. This is my practice and is agreeable for my wife too. This practice has helped me from feeling as if the car is a money pit as well! I've owned it since 1992 and I'm the second owner. It was a car from Arizona, so no rust when I bought it. It has developed rust-through on the rear fascia (between the tail lights), but no rust anywhere else.

This year the repair plans are to nurse the Dif through five Track Days this season and then rebuild it. The car is still using the OEM sub-frame bush set and they are getting loose, so when VIP rebuilds the Dif, they will replace the bushes with Poly. At that time we might look at lowering the roll center by making the rear sub-frame fit closer to the undercarriage, but that is only a thought at this point. Additionally, this year, we will be replacing the Koyo Rad rather than repair it, as it has been in the car since 2011 and I also replace the elec fans at the same time, so those items are on the short list for February.
In March the car goes in for a once over at VIP Performance in prep for the season. We're adding a boot to the transmission shifter housing so the tranny fluid stays in there rather than on the track and under carriage of the car, and then replace the rear seal on the tranny as well. Upgraded front brake ducting is also added this year along with the beginning of a flat bottom, to include a flat under tray for the engine that extends from the front splitter all the way back to the front sub frame and the spaces on both sides of the undercarriage that extends out from the transmission and drive line tunnel, out to the side skirts. The engine under tray will be in polycarbonate and the side under trays are in ABS, both black in color.

The car is top heavy and going into some turns at speed is not enjoyable, but rather a lot of work to keep the car on track. We have discussed replacing the front wind screen with PC, but decided rather to cut out the roof and sister in fiberglass, add the six point roll cage with gussets to the B pillar that will stiffen the car and add weight over the rear wheels where it needs it. Lastly, since the engine is getting tired (using oil, loosing compression), in another two years, the engine will need a rebuild. Those are the plans over the next few years.

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
BlackDevilSupra;2032283 said:
Did you relocate you intercooler? Can't see how the radiator got damage if the IC is right in front of it.
I'm still using the OEM intercooler, so a rock went straight past the end of the intercooler into a tube in the radiator and punched a hole in it so it weeps coolant. This year I'm utilizing a screen to help reduce the incidence for FOD.

scottiedawg66;2032669 said:
Did you set up the washer tank for meth? Is it enough capacity to last a session?
No, I'm about to in March... I'm in the process of buying an used tank from a fellow SM forum member. As to will it last a session... The system is set to go on when the engine reaches 4k RPMs. The car is using the JDM ECU so, this keeps us out of all sorts of problems with tuning around the ECU. Consequently, our best guess is the one gallon capacity of the OEM fluid tank will last more than one session. We'll see what the consumption is on our first session.

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
So, the window washer tank is too old and brittle. We're going to have to make a bulkhead to enclose the AEM H2O/Meth tank, a over flow drain with a tip over valve in it. The bulk head will be calked and sealed to the floor pan.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
This week in prep for the new season, VIP Performance relocated the brake ducting closer to the center of the front hubs for better cooling and less incidence for brake fade. I noticed right away that getting heat into the pads is much harder, so the application of the brakes required me to press on them harder which allows the car to get all the braking done a lot sooner, but my experience of pressing on spongy brakes is no longer. Unless it again develops brake fade...
VIP Performance used generic, aluminum, three inch Dia, brake duck mounts purchased through Jegs, made by Allstar Performance. They cut those to size to fit in the space available, then drilled a three inch hole, with a hole saw, in the stock dust plate. Then the duct mounts were attached using several pop rivets.

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Here is what was done today at VIP Performance:IMG_0431.jpgIMG_0432.jpg
Those are pics of the new engine under tray. It is made of polycarbonate and then pop riveted to aluminum "L" brackets that are then mounted to the radiator under support and the front sub-frame. Three quick release pins allow the entire front bumper cover to be detached from the engine under cover in no time at all!.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
PIR intermediate run group 3-28-15 still leading compressed.jpgA picture of how the car looks today in a high speed turn going about 80mph... It really needs stiffer springs as the passenger side is so high relative to drivers side that it makes the ground effects useless. On the back straight going 135mph the car was rock steady and no more push while under full throttle in turn nine onto the back straight, as it had last season.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
3p141592654;2043758 said:
I like that undercover. What is it made of?
The engine undercover is made of 1/8 inch, Black polycarbonate. Additionally, there are two flat panels of ABS plastic going down both undersides of the passenger and drivers floor pans. These panels extend from the rear sub frame mountings frontward, then bend up into the wheel wells to keep the air under the car less turbulent. The panels are about three inches away from the exhaust, mounted to the side skirts and the frame rails. This leaves some air circulating around the transmission and differential.
Next on the list is making a rear diffuser that mounts to the gas tank and the underside of the bumper, extending out to the face of the bumper.

Last edited: