Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1, 2…now 3.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
The kitchen looks really good! Now get back to the Supra haha. I'm looking forward to seeing the new updates and the rare piece that is on the way.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Back to the Supra...
Almost time to build some headlights...

p2039702_1.jpg

p2039702_2.jpg

The motor arms have already been modified, so the real work is going to be with the bracket fabrication, and the wiring harness.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
supraguy@aol;2039702 said:
Back to the Supra...
Almost time to build some headlights...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/supraguy7/Supra 2012/20150220_115907_zps4pdqyk0m.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/supraguy7/Supra 2012/20150220_134510_zpsolh99phc.jpg

The motor arms have already been modified, so the real work is going to be with the bracket fabrication, and the wiring harness.

Please be very detailed with this! I've been trying to figure out a clean way to mount a set of Hellas.
Where did you buy these from?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The very best price that I could find on the lights themselves(both high AND low beams), was a place right here in GA called Parts hub Direct.
They all came with the adjuster screws, and H9 bulbs installed.
68136/ 68137

http://www.partshubdirect.com/products?category=90mm/120mm

They didn't have the 4 necessary mounting plates in stock, so I bought those from jegs, and they ended up being cheaper anyway.

# 157659007

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hella/288/157659007/10002/-1

I will post pics of the assembly once I start. Too cold in the garage right now.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I emailed Daniel Stern lighting. They make a custom 4-headlight harness for 9005/ 9006 systems, that keeps the low beam on when you add high beams.
I asked him specifically about 9005 vs. H9 compatibility.

PS!!!- If you haven't already ordered- I have a 10% off coupon for Partshub. I will PM you.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
rodel;2039829 said:
I've got the quad light setup on my car now, but I will be gong back to a 6 x 7 housing with a projector retrofit

I love the round quad setup. Sorry to go OT but what made you decide to switch back, rodel? Not for aesthetics, I'd think?

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
miekedmr;2039832 said:
I love the round quad setup. Sorry to go OT but what made you decide to switch back, rodel? Not for aesthetics, I'd think?

couple of reasons

1. I want a projector with a better light output and sharper cut off lines

2. i had to hack up the headlight assembly to make the quads fit. Having hacked up housing doesnt sit well with me anymore. so i am installing unhacked assemblies.

The proper way to the quad setup is to fabricate standalone housings.

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/forms/Product.aspx?ID=298

Last edited:

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
supraguy@aol;2039825 said:
I emailed Daniel Stern lighting. They make a custom 4-headlight harness for 9005/ 9006 systems, that keeps the low beam on when you add high beams.
I asked him specifically about 9005 vs. H9 compatibility.

PS!!!- If you haven't already ordered- I have a 10% off coupon for Partshub. I will PM you.

Thanks. Great find on that harness too.
That will be great especially if you install HID's, there will be no delay when switching between high and low beam.

rodel;2039833 said:
Having hacked up housing doesnt sit well with me anymore. so i am installing unhacked assemblies.

This is what I'm worried about. I'd rather not hack up the stock bits inorder to fit these, there has to be a clean way of doing so.
I've even considered 3D printing a bracket but, it would be overly complicated and cost a lot to get it right. That's why I'm interested to see how SupraGuy mounts his.

Rodel- PM me if you are selling yours.

Edit: Found this a while ago, thought it might be helpful or at least serve as inspiration. http://revlimiter.net/mods/lowpro.php

Last edited:

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
rodel;2039833 said:
couple of reasons

1. I want a projector with a better light output and sharper cut off lines

2. i had to hack up the headlight assembly to make the quads fit. Having hacked up housing doesnt sit well with me anymore. so i am installing unhacked assemblies.

The proper way to the quad setup is to fabricate standalone housings.

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/forms/Product.aspx?ID=298

i beleive the shortested projectors i found were 137mm long and i think this ment that that some of the plastic had to be cut in order to fit. i have done retrofit on a mk3 jetta before and played with a mk3 7x6 5064 type of housing to see the fitment.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Not much at all, to be honest.
I realized that I was getting back into the habit of buying 73 different things for 22 different parts of the project.
So, after buying all the relays and bulb connectors, etc. to make the headlight assembly, I have pushed it to the side, so that I can focus on finishing the rear spoiler first.
THEN I will go back to making the headlights.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
supraguy@aol;2042849 said:
Not much at all, to be honest.
I realized that I was getting back into the habit of buying 73 different things for 22 different parts of the project.
So, after buying all the relays and bulb connectors, etc. to make the headlight assembly, I have pushed it to the side, so that I can focus on finishing the rear spoiler first.
THEN I will go back to making the headlights.

Focus is always good!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So my progress has been very slow, but I do try to work on it a little bit every few days.
The rear wing is done now. I finally integrated the 3rd brake light how I wanted it.

p2045799_1.jpg

It will remain off the car to be painted separately, just like the bumpers will. Next up is the front bumper's modification, to include the S2 airguide.
I've cut out the center grill, and begun fitting it. It will NOT be molded into the urethane, as I am afraid that it will separate if the bumper is ever tapped.
So instead it will be screwed in with semi-flush mount screws, and I am toying with the idea of putting a thin rubber lip around it as well. I will post up the mock-up pics soon.

Also just received the turn signals and markers from Ebay. They will have to share space on the shelf with all the other 'final stage' stuff.

p2045799_2.jpg

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Just Finished Reading this whole thread over the last couple days. Excited to see it on the road, hopefully soon.

Couple Q's

1. What is the advantage of using a 5M oil pump pulley? Stronger?
2. Who makes your Fuel hoses and fittings and what is that hose type called.

In to see what you come up with for headlights, Hacking up the housings is why I never started on a dual round setup.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The 5M oil pump is indeed stronger than the 7M, as the 7M's has angular spokes(where stress risers could lead to cracks), and the 5M has round holes.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a 5M oil pulley at the time, so I stuck with the 7M unit.

The fuel hose I used is a nylon covered stainless braided. I really don't recall the manufacturer, but there's plenty available on Ebay, Summit, Jegs, etc.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Makes sense, I wouldn't think that would be a terribly high stress part even with cams & springs.

You might have mentioned this but on your injectors, how did you land cost wise by the time you bought 3 sets of throttle bodies and resold them I am assuming? Those are at the top of my list for injector choices (I prefer denso) but seems like tb's are few and far between except for around 200 bucks on ebay and injectors cant be sourced by themselves. I might just settle for smaller EVO injectors.

Also do you happen to have a pic of the nozzle hole pattern on them?