Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1, 2…now 3.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Id be kinda surprised if it were to overheat from such a small oil cooler.
And it is an upgraded rad as well. But you're right. I'll keep it as-is for now, and see if it needs an amendment once its running.

ochocinco5k

Jul 31, 2012
boston,ma
Just want you to know. This is great inspiration for my MKIII build. I already bought Stance coilovers and once i get back I'm going to build up my diff and rear subframe.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Good to hear-
Thanks.

And just to keep a sense of progress, i'll just mention that my Driftmotion intercooler kit has been *trying* to get to my house.
Third failed delivery attempt happened today, but i've been out of town. Hopefully i get home before it heads back across the country.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Every time I look at your build thread and see your avatar I imagine that's what you really look like every time you're posting pics of recent updates... Please tell me that pic is really you and that beaming face is from the joy you get from working on that gorgeous supra of yours.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Lol no!
That's Bruce Campbell, aka "Ash" from Evil Dead, right when he snapped and went temporarily batty.
If you haven't seen the original, rent it- its hilarious.

Here's an accurate picture of me:

me2011.jpg

Last edited:

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
your correct. i remember watching it at jasons and those little people where attacking him in the windmill scene. haha the ending of that movie was funny, he rides up in a caddy done up with some end of the world swirling death trap with cow catcher and spikes everywhere

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
supraguy@aol;1938601 said:
Lol no!
That's Bruce Campbell, aka "Ash" from Evil Dead, right when he snapped and went temporarily batty.
If you haven't seen the original, rent it- its hilarious.

Here's an accurate picture of me:

p1939059_1.jpg

I dunno man... you look A LOT like this "Bruce Campbell" you speak of... at least in that pic anyway. I think I'll keep my image of you being "Bruce Campbell", it's more fun! LOL!

I've heard that the first evil dead movies were hilarious, I'll check 'em out.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, I'm finally back "from the dead".
I have returned to the U.S., and was greeted by a number of small packages at my door:
Earl's oil billet thermostat, TRD oil cap, M6 gold anodized titanium bolts, 10 gauge fuel pump wire.
Tomorrow, I have to drive down to UPS and pick up my DM intercooler kit.
I have a week off from work, and intend to put some motor in some Supra...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Holy crap... Nice pieces!

Did I send you the step by step for that intercooler?
(Mine had no instructions or even suggestions for a proper install)
Lay the 3000 pipe replacement in place and let me know how it fits

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hmm, ok.
But for now...how bout some pics?

Engine.....IN.

IMG_20130517_171247_551_zps3d90e413.jpg
IMG_20130517_173316_580_zpsd486b22b.jpg
IMG_20130517_174342_080_zps8deaaf39.jpg
IMG_20130517_182953_262_zps15be8d23.jpg

I TOLD you all I'd put some sweet, sweet hurtin' on this car this week.
I ain't wasting time.

LOL.
All went pretty smooth, but I realized that the hoist wasn't lifting high enough to let me get the motor off the stand, so I disconnected the hoist so I could pull the piston to add fluid....BUT...I forgot that I had pulled the pin out of the stand that prevents rotation...

HOLY SHEEEEIIITTT!!!!!
As soon as I pulled the hoist away, the entire motor spun 180 degrees upside down!
I don't know how the thing didn't completely topple over from the weight shift, but I thank the big man for that.
Anyway, speedo cable and driveshaft are hooked up. Now I gotta buy the turbo so I can start mocking up the DM intercooler kit,
as well as the exhaust.

PS- why the hell did the prices on the Precision , 6262's, 6266's etc. jump nearly $200???

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Idk, after seeing some of the engines you guys are dropping into these cars and how damn sexy they look, I am thinking of building one for the living room...

I noticed that the boss sr. And Sp6262's are almost same pricing now...

Still haven't decided which one to order. Gonna follow this maybe and see what results you have.

.... Or in other words... Hurry up!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Don't hold your breath.
I predict(based on progress so far, instead of high hopes) that it'll be running in about 3 months, driveable in about 9 months.

Grandavi- heare's a few pics of the upper pipes.

IMG_20130517_235848_889_zps8a1750c1.jpg

IMG_20130518_240709_197_zps49632ef6.jpg

I noticed that on the Ebay listing for this type of IC kit, there are two pics of the engine bay, and both are different cars, different kits!
One retains the oem plastic "thru-tube" that runs through the fender wall, and the other(like mine) has the pipe going all the way through, eliminating that part.
The scary thing is, that its a bit of twisting and maneuvering to get it through. Once I have the radiator in and the fender on, I don't know how easy it would be to install this pipe.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I didn't use those two pipes... had to cut my fender wall and couldn't cut it enough..

Looks like the bracked on the side of the 3000 pipe replacement is off by an inch or so like mine was as well.. so the vacuum hardline wont bolt up properly. I had a HKS 3000 pipe (which is actually bigger diameter than the IC piping) that I utilized and just put a custom pipe on the car from the 3000 pipe to the fender wall. There was no way that I was going to make It fit as-is. (Could have if I had a way to bend the pipe a bit...)

Sadly.. I didn't realize that there was no way to get it to fit properly until after I cut the inner fender hole. Had to stop because I was going to have to cut into the frame to get it to work.

Here's some pics of mine...

IMG_0436a.jpgIMG_0437a.jpgIMG_0464a.jpg

my HKS BOV is turned 90 degrees to recirculate. The recirc hose is about 1/4" that way and it sits about 1/4" too high (hits the fire blanket on the inside of the hood). When I go stand alone it will be turned 90 deg back so it looks proper. Its not great having the bov flange directly above the recirulation point.

You've been doing such great work so far, it sucks that the IC is so poorly designed with those 2 pipes. No idea how DM can say they are plug and play because they are so far off what they should be... and it would be so simple to fix that design. The shop I had install it charged me more than the intercooler cost for the install plus 100.00 on top for the custom pipe and flange. (and the HKS BOV recirc kit which did NOT come with the IC kit... ) Every kit install I have seen that maintained that 3000 pipe replacement doesn't have the vacuum hard pipe bolted.. its just flopping on the top of the engine. I thought mine was a one-off mistake.. but apparently its bad design from day one.

I like the intercooler now.. but it was a pain in the ass until we decided to throw away the two upper pipes.

Last edited: