Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1, 2…now 3.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Love the color scheme on the engine! Inspired me to go about cleaning and painting everything to look/stay looking new >.<
I just have to find a sandblaster or someone with one. Haha.
Can't wait to see this up and running!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
1986.5supra_kid;1930144 said:
sigh :/ to bad i couldnt do it right once.
it was good to see you supraguy@aol @ the supra/celica meet! to bad there was only one mk3 and 3 mk4 supras and a bunch of celicas and 4 mk2 supras hahaha

It was good to see you too, man.
Lemme know if that MR2 vac booster works out. Better yet, post a pic in your build.

Moy;1930177 said:
Love the color scheme on the engine! Inspired me to go about cleaning and painting everything to look/stay looking new >.<
I just have to find a sandblaster or someone with one. Haha.
Can't wait to see this up and running!

I can't wait either, but unfortunately, I have to.

Didn't do much to the car today, just installed the -6 fuel feed hard line adapter from Driftmotion. It doesn't sit down as far on the threads as I'd like, though.
But looking inside, you can see that it's a larger diameter than stock. I also realigned the new steering rack, so that the inner mechanism is centered, rather than compensating with the outer tie rods.

Also, learned something mildly interesting tonight:
There are two different back up switches for the Supra. Not sure if it divides by year, or by transmission, because I saw listings for both switches for the various years and trannys. Here's a pic of my backup lamp switch plug on the left, and my engine harness connector on the right. I'm thinking the previous owner of my transmission had spliced the different switch plug onto the engine harness. Oh well, I'm not going to do that with my new harness, so I ordered the proper switch.

IMG_20130411_202231_565_zps1ca0ff7f.jpg

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So...
I've been out of town for the better part of a week, but I got back today, for ONE day. Have to go back out of town tomorrow for 3 or 4 more days.
BUT, that didn't stop me from showing the supra a little love. First off, I received a few small pachages in the mail;
-6 braided black fuel line, a Marlin Crawler shifter kit, and the new reverse light switch that I needed.
New switch on left, ond old one on the right:

IMG_20130417_151741_471_zps07addcf6.jpg

New MC shifter bushing. I also got the one for the shifter itself.

IMG_20130417_190830_273_zps5264a47f.jpg

I then started trying to figure out where I want to mount my oil cooler, but realized that I need additional hose fittings, etc. before I can really map it out.
So instead, I FINALLY filled and bled my brake system. I also ordered a new OEM speedometer cable, since my old one caused shakes in the needle and was noisy in the winter.
Next week, I will install the engine/ tranny so I can start planning the MAFT pro wire routing, as well as ordering/ installing the DM intercooler kit.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Not much going on-
Just got my new speedo cable...
IMG_20130422_154637_044_zps0a0128eb.jpg
I noticed that the end is slightly different than the original, as you can see. It doesn't look like it'll fit into the lower bracket like it should. I may have to add a bracket.
IMG_20130422_155127_485_zps454c81c4.jpg
IMG_20130422_155339_984_zps41e901e9.jpg

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hey...HEY! I'm still here.
Just because a guy doesn't update his build thread in a few weeks- doesn't mean he's gone.
Well, in a way it does. I've been out of town(and the country, at times) since the second week of last month, working.
They let me home for 24 hours today, and I go back out for a few days starting saturday. But, I was home long enough to
order a few things: Driftmotion intercooler kit, and an Aeromotive 340 stealth fuel pump. Should have both of these in by the middle of next week,
so who knows, you might see some more progress then.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
supraguy@aol;1936037 said:
Hey...HEY! I'm still here.
Just because a guy doesn't update his build thread in a few weeks- doesn't mean he's gone.
Well, in a way it does. I've been out of town(and the country, at times) since the second week of last month, working.
They let me home for 24 hours today, and I go back out for a few days starting saturday. But, I was home long enough to
order a few things: Driftmotion intercooler kit, and an Aeromotive 340 stealth fuel pump. Should have both of these in by the middle of next week,
so who knows, you might see some more progress then.

Welcome home sir, even if only for a few hours... Glad you haven't decided to scrap the whole project while you were away! What brand mig welder did you pick up?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Welp, it looks like it won't suffice, at least not for every job.
I tried welding onto some thick steel under my MR2, and it just wouldn't penetrate.
I'm not surprised, because it was only a 70amp welder. So I bought a bigger one:
IMG_20130504_161433_751_zpsfaba6315.jpg

Also, finally chose a location for the oil cooler- right between the ac condenser and the rad:
IMG_20130506_171053_753_zps42b5c2a8.jpg

It's just a big 2inch wide void in there, so the cooler fits pretty nice, and is out of sight.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Got the Aeromotive today, teeny.

IMG_20130507_162734_912_zpsc42b3a4f.jpg

That is all.

Attachments

• IMG_20130914_223446_918_zps5b00664e.jpg
    IMG_20130914_223446_918_zps5b00664e.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
I was talking with Grimjack at the supra meet in Centralia, WA last weekend about his oil cooler location. Seems he had his oil cooler in a similar spot and it ended up making the radiator not work as well as it should have been so he mounted it horizontally just under and behind the radiator on the driver's side with a small plate to direct some airflow up through the oil cooler. Not sure of his current HP but it's got to be 500+ I would think with the mods on the car.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hmm.
I dunno... Ive got it right up flush to the rad, and im using stock shroud and fan, so the air should be effectively pulled through it. I didnt center it to the fan, either. I offset it so that it wouldnt be in the 'dead zone' at the center point of the fan's rotation.
Perhaps the gap between the condenser and the oil cooler would allow the air to stagnate at the front of the cooler, and try to go around to other parts of the rad where there's less resistance? Maybe i will have to create partitions to seal that path... I dunno.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
My guess is, you'll just have to find out when you get this beast up and running and start having a little fun with her. If she starts over heating a little or maybe even more than a little you might look into alternative locations for the oil cooler. Food for thought and I wouldn't even have had that thought without talking with Grimjack and looking at his set up the other day at the meet.