Pic request: Upgraded valve cover bolt set up

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
I'm looking to see pictures of those of you who aren't using the original shitty philips head screw/bolt for the valve cover gasket. I'm changing mine out this weekend, and from reading other threads about the set up, I can't tell if you still use the rubber grommets or if you just put star washers in between the valve cover and the screw/bolt.

Thanks in advance.

-A1C Garganta

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I used a washer with a grommet already attached to it. I picked up a package of 100 so I have extra if I need to replace them.

p1490248_1.jpg

p1490248_2.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
PROJECT N00b;1490238 said:
I'm looking to see pictures of those of you who aren't using the original shitty philips head screw/bolt for the valve cover gasket. I'm changing mine out this weekend, and from reading other threads about the set up, I can't tell if you still use the rubber grommets or if you just put star washers in between the valve cover and the screw/bolt.

Thanks in advance.

-A1C Garganta
DON'T do that......

Whatever hardware you get use the stock grommets or some like Rob used as the cam covers will expand/contract at different rates to the head, bolt it down solid and something has to give.

This is why they run the secondary ground strap on the GTE Coilpacks as there's no direct path when the Cam covers are bolted on correctly.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
92nsx;1490248 said:
I used a washer with a grommet already attached to it. I picked up a package of 100 so I have extra if I need to replace them.

You probably will.........
I tried those stanless washers with the bonded rubber (of some sort),
and the rubber gave up the ghost in less than a month.
What ever it is, it isn't compatable with engine bay heat & oil.......
I use the ones I have left over for holding the license plate on,
they work for that just fine.
And now I only use the Toyota ones for the cam cover bolts.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
gofastgeorge;1490253 said:
You probably will.........
I tried those stanless washers with the bonded rubber (of some sort),
and the rubber gave up the ghost in less than a month.

Yep I have read about that happening too. But so far so good, they have been on 7m for about a year with no sings of fail yet . When they fail I have more unless I just order some new Toyo ones.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Damn just gave away like 4 unused packets of Viton ones with a pile of left over gaskets when I was clearing up the 7M stuff here, If I'd known I'd have been happy to post em over....

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
PROJECT N00b;1490238 said:

Thanks in advance.

-A1C Garganta

You definitely don't want to do that. You can put a star washer between the stock grommet (top) and the bolt head. Cap screws look good if you want "pretty".

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
I can't get to my car this second to determine the order, but I know that I used both the Toyota grommet thingy, and a washer on each allen bolt. I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes personally, but I know that I did this job like three times before I finally got the gaskets to seal properly, and I used this setup on the final attempt (along with silicone valve cover gaskets). I would highly advise at least using the Toyota grommets.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i have stainless hardware with torx bolts, lock washers, small flat washer, and a grommet of some sort. all torqued properly and been on the car 8yrs. no leaks and still all in good shape.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
92nsx;1490260 said:
Yep I have read about that happening too. But so far so good, they have been on 7m for about a year with no sings of fail yet .

Where did you buy yours?
I got mine from McMaster-Carr.
Maybe they didn't use the correct 'rubber'............

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I use the factory MK4 valve cover bolts. 6mm bolt, 10mm head with integrated washer. Also had a "self-starting" (unthreaded) tip. Couple that with the stock MK3 grommets and no problems!

PROJECT N00b

May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
Alright, so I ordered a set of felpro grommets, and a 14mm hex allen socket. I plan on using the same bolts (philipps type) and using med strength loc tite (blue). I am also replacing the no.3 valley cover with 4 gaskets from napa. Hopefully all goes well here.

PROJECT N00b

May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
So far, no oil what so ever coming out of the SP valley, and nothing coming out of the sides. However, there is still smoke coming out of the engine bay, it's from the oil that is on the heat shield. I don't know if it is residual, but I'm going to the wash and I'm going to power wash the area. I also bought some UV dye to put into the oil. I hope i fixed the leak.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
gofastgeorge;1490760 said:
Where did you buy yours?
I got mine from McMaster-Carr.
Maybe they didn't use the correct 'rubber'............

Yep I picked up mine at the same place. I just used a inch lbs. torque wrench to tighten them and every thing was go to go. Plus new cam cover gaskets from Toyota. Maybe people are over tighting them causing them to fail so fast?

PROJECT N00b

May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
UPDATE: Added UV dye to oil after valve cover fix, the leak is still there. After searching on other causes to the leak, and possible problem areas. I found that the cam seals tend to go bad. I began removing the timing belt cover and the cam plate...low and behold the cam area was glowing! I'll be going to Toyota tomorrow and try to get me some cam seals, if they are closed, I'll go to Shucks. Hopefully this is it.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Make sure when you install your gaskets they are completely DRY, same for the mating surface. You don't want oil on these surfaces as it can make them leak. I usually make a quick wipe with a rag that has some brake clean and wipe off the rubber gasket just to get any oil off. I am using allen key screws with stock gromets, looks good and have never had a leak, i don't use any sealer either (besides in the front, where it is called for).