OfnaRcR's Wanna-B Build Thread

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
This thread is dedicated to my car and any project i decide to go through with. Finally decided my car was worthy of a "build thread".
Specs:
1989 Supra Turbo Targa 5-spd.
driftmotion rebuilt jdm 7m-gte, MHG and ARP's
driftmotion 57-trim
3 inch exhaust excluding the elbow, magnaflow muffler
driftmotion spearco rep ic with hardpipes

Plans for now:
Get the car prepped as well as possible and have someone paint it for me. The thing is, i don't know who i should give it to. I've pretty much decided on Maaco, but knowing it's reputation i'm not expecting much from them. That's why i'm doing as much as possible for them. This is my first time doing bodywork so any sujjestions i'll gladly take.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!!UPDATE!!(April 13,08)
Here i'll have a pic that'll show what she looks like as of now.

dscf0365gu8.jpg

END UPDATE:
Back to origional post made on Feb 18, 08
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a couple before shots. Probally my favorite shot of my car taken on the drive home from getting it

dscf7791hl1.jpg

Next to my 90 NA that i sold

dscf7847kf7.jpg

Here she is waiting in her home since Feb 2nd. Told the rents that i can't take it out till it's finished so now i have the garage to work on my car. Lucky me.

Getting started. That rear bumper was a MESS.
dscf7779cleenpq7.jpg

dscf7781lz2.jpg

17 years in socal would do this. Should i get rid of the antennae hole? I'm thinking yes.
dscf7783lf1.jpg

dscf7792hn8.jpg

dscf7809uf7.jpg

dscf7853kg8.jpg

dscf7854hy9.jpg

dscf7861gn5.jpg

dscf7912vt1.jpg

dscf7924dh0.jpg

dscf7926ar4.jpg

dscf7928ew4.jpg

dscf7930nb6.jpg

dscf7921up4.jpg

Last edited:

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
That cleaned up really well IMO.
dscf7939il5.jpg

These too
dscf7938rw9.jpg

Notice the masking tape on the seals. I didn't want to take the seals off because of the sooper glue on them. Maybe i should anyway. Will i be able to use them again?
dscf8037dt5.jpg

dscf8074oh3.jpg

Primer has begun.
dscf8171fu1.jpg

Whats the deal with this?
dscf8195vu7.jpg

The bumper is cleaning up well. Just need to prime and sand a couple more times.
dscf8207jk4.jpg

The front bumper is going to be tough. I think it was painted again. I pulled this off a wrecked 91. Got the bumper, foglights, lip for $40 wich is a hella deal i think.
dscf8350jx3.jpg

dscf8358tg2.jpg

I'll get other info later. Right now i'm tired.

bighorn25

Feb 10, 2008
ohio
Thats looking good man. Looks a little crowded in your garage there though, haha. IM sure you wish you had a bigger space to work in. That is always my problem. Im thinking about putting a big garage on my property and building it up real nice with all the goodies. I cant wait to get the project under way. Looking good man.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
I believe the parts before the rear tire are made out of the same thing as the parts behind the front tire its like a weird plastic rubber shit.

If you dont want maaco to paint over those seals and plastic parts i suggest you leave them taped because ive seen some maaco jobs where they just didnt give a shit and sprayed everything, if you have a lip and want it black still tape that off too.

You look to be doing a good job on the body work just make sure its all smooth the more time you spend now the better the paint will work of maaco sprays it good.

Side note: arent you the guy who made those drifting videos?

88mk88

Jun 18, 2006
Jamestown,Ohio
It's looking good man, tomorrow after school you can come over and do mine. Just playing but it does seriously look like it's coming along good.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I've seen a Maaco paint job turn out pretty well. The person prepped the car themselves, which is really the biggest problem with Maaco. They cannot prep for shit, but I understand why. I will be doing this myself, but I probably will paint it myself as well. GL I want to see how it turns out.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Thx for the replies. I'm not exactly sure where i'm getting it painted. 88mk88 sujjested a place that i've gotta call and get a quote. Pretty much Maaco is a last resort.
For the color tho, BLACK. Saw one the other day and pretty much made my decision.
Just waiting on a front passanger side fender. HOPEFULLY, i'll have it prepped next week and ready to go.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Just my two cents but if your going to change colors you may want to take the car down farther. Even for a basic respray I personally would pull all the trim, rear side windows, door handles, seals ect. As much as you think you wont have tape lines, you will. As far as changing colors go it really needs to come down almost to the shell. Your bay, jams, and the back sides of everything like hatch, hood, targa, fuel door ect will all be a different color. Also to have all this sprayed costs big $$$$!! Dont get me wrong you can just do the outside of the car but if you ever want to resell it you wont get what the car is worth. I personally would never buy a car that someone changed the color only on the outside. I am only changing the color of my car to a more current scion gay blue and this is where I have mine.
p932002_1.jpg

This picture was taken in the fall and I have since cleared the bay and I am getting ready to pull the dash as soon as it warms up. Since you are doing your own prep work here is a thread that may help. Good Luck!!
http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/1998-02/1215.html

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Another build in Ohio! Sweet! I really need a Supra...But yeah...Seems to be making a lot of progress. Hopefully you'll make it to the Ohio Supra Meet, hoping I can. Can't wait to see it painted.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I haven't made any update on the ol' soup. Its so friggin cold out in that garage and my back is screaming for mercy. Plus i'm still waiting on a fender.

As far as tearing down the car further, i'm not sure how far i want to go. I know i'm not taking off the fenders, bumper and hood. All the side trim is off tho. I'm seriously thinking about getting the hatch area painted tho if i can get a more professional place then Maaco paint my car.
How much of a PITA is it to take out the rear windows/trim and reinstall it later? I have no clue how to get em out, but the thought of tape lines being there doesn't appeal to me.
Also, how can i get my door handles out?

Sujjestions welcome.

THX.

88mk88

Jun 18, 2006
Jamestown,Ohio
Danny, I picked up that supra so you can come see if there's any body parts you need off of it. Was it the driver or passenger side fender?