New 7M Build....

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
MAJOR UPDATE ON PAGE SEVEN AS OF 1/19/10

New Update 3/22/10

What The Title Says....

My 7M Build...

Engine will come tomorrow and will be sent of the have the head port and polished, block decked and then stufing some goodies in it.

Parts Ordered

-7MGTE Oil Pump
-7MGTE Water Pump
-Probe Forged 7M Piston Set .20mm OverSize
-ARP Head Stud Kit 7M
-HKS Metal headgasket 1.2mm Bead
-AZ Performance Oil Pump Pipe

Picture Will Come Tomorrow....

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Here are The Pictures.....

Side Of The Block
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Oil Filter Side of The Block
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Front Of The Block
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Top With Cams Off
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Left Side With Cam Off
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Right Side With Cam Off
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Head Gasket Stuck Between Front Timing Plate And The Head
sm_photo_missing.jpg

This Is A Oil Pressure Switch Right?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

These Are Stock Pistons Right?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Pistons Look Clean And New Even Though The Block Was Sitting For A Person's BackYard For Months....
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Stock Rods? What Does The "7C3M" Mean On The Rod? My Friend Pulled His Engine Apart, Which Was Stock, And It Did Not Have This On Those Rods.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Another Picture Of The Rods....
sm_photo_missing.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I am going to put in a new set of main and rod bearings. Crank was redone and it is perfectly clean and smooth. New seals and gaskets.

Ok, is there any kit to redo my head. Replace springs, valves and shims? Ofcourse, Porting and Polishing the head is a must.

I ordered a harness from 92Teal so that is coming soon. Just need some advice on this because I was told the head has a "ticking noise" and it cannot be the bottom end because it is all flawless. It even had a new oil pump!

Thanks, Andy.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Just make sure when you have the block decked, to have them bolt the rear timing cover on and deck it along with the block (this is mandatory).
Also, I would advise not using an impact driver when it comes to assembly time ;) I personally would not use one at all, even for disassembly, but thats just me.

But good luck, hope it all goes well!

And no there is no kit that I know of for the shims, you have to measure and then order the ones you need.

I was told the head has a "ticking noise" and it cannot be the bottom end because it is all flawless

I thought this too with my engine, but it ended up being the bottom end, this was on a fresh motor.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
As noted, there is no shim kit for the head. The machine shop will need to re-use the shims you have, or order the ones that are the right size when it's all done.

As I've said in your PM, I'd reccomend replacing your stock valve springs with CompCams ones. They are a great deal. New springs for about 70.00 and they have pressures that are not so high as to cause problems, and will allow for slightly higher engine speed. (Not that many have a stand alone needed to run the 7M faster than stock anyway, and it's not needed.)

Again, mild clean up of the intake, and exhaust, and smoothing of all sharp edges or casting flash pays off.

Check out IJ's photos of the cut head to see how much room you have to port. There is not much in places, and you would be sad to grind through into a coolant passage.

Larger valves are not needed unless you are going to do some serious port work.

Make sure the machine shop decks the head with the front cover on as noted.

Make sure they shoot for the "tight" end of the clearance specs for the bearings.

New oil pump, make sure you get a 7MGTE one, and then make sure it's clean inside by pulling the cover. You can check the clearance, and have it closed up if you want. Shim the pump bypass by 10mm. (A single 10mm nut works perfect for this.. just pull the bypass, and put the nut between the spring and the piston/plunger, or on the other end of the spring at the bypass retainer. The hole in the nut allows any bypassed oil out,)

Use a quality sealer instead of cut paper gaskets where possible. (This will allow for no leaks, especially the "cork" gasket for the oil pan.. Just throw that away, and use something like "The right stuff" sealant.)

New oil squirters is a good idea, but my old ones are fine, I just sonic cleaned them. I'm sure the oil pressure lost to them is made up with my other oil system mods.

Shim the stock oil cooler bypass if you use it still. I'd reccomend going to a remote oil filter, and cooler with a thermostat, and get rid of the stock filter adapter and cooler outlet completely. (You can use the stock oil cooler as a PS cooler, and just plug the return in the oil pan.)

Anyway, good luck.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
New Pictures.....

BLOCK
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

FRONT TIMING CONVER WITH WATER PUMP
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

HOUSING
sm_photo_missing.jpg

OIL PAN
sm_photo_missing.jpg

TIMING COVER
sm_photo_missing.jpg

POWER STEERING RESERVOIR
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Just Some Progress...

Tomorrow
-Head Bolted On
-Put On New Bearings
-Install Oil Pump
-Install Oil Pan
-Clean Out The Supra's Engine Bay

More Engine And Car Pictures Tomorrow.....And A DriftMotion Turbo Kit Coming Soon....:naughty:

Any Thoughts?

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
lookin good so far. Id like to see what the red looks like once installed. Im doing some red on my build also, but more so only on "hidden" pieces to give a light accenting to the engine bay. Now painting the the ps resovoir, if you get ps fluid on the paint will it peel like brake fluid will do to paint?

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
How much was decked off of the head and block?
The 1.2 head gasket is thinner than stock,w/head and block decked this is gonna raise your compression quite a bit.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The old gasket was a 1.2 on the block and when I took both head and block to get decked, the machine guy, a good friend of my mechanic, said the block was deck and he recommend not too.

I know the 1.2 is going to raise the compression a bit...:aigo:

Here are some pictures after getting the head back. I am missing the back part. It was missing since I got the engine. Any clue on where I can get on or do I have to buy another head? :nono:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here is a thick white wire that was cut under the fuse box, does anyone know where it goes? It is the largest white wire there.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here is a picture of the Supra....Has Tiens on it already with a Greddy Pro-Spec B and a Greddy Electronic Boost Controller but no manual on how to hook it up. I am bad on the electronics. Any ideas?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I am waiting on my turbo, manifold, Intercooler, piping, Tanabe exhaust and a few stainless steel lines. i already have a AFPR. The parts should be coming by the end of the week or early next week.

Andy.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Youre missing the EGR cooler, and unless you have a JDM ECU you need it and the rest of the EGR system. Even if it didnt need to be decked its still not a bad idea to have it resurfaced, that way youll have a better mating surface for the HG to go on. HKS MHG are real picky when it comes to sealing.

Goto Greddys website they have the manuals on all their electronics

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
IBoughtASupra;1299351 said:
Really? A mechanic of mine is using a USDM ECU on a 7M that he has the EGR blocked off. So, how can I tell if my ECU is a JDM one?

Theres a thread on here about why running no EGR on a USDM ECU is dangerous. Im not real sure how to tell from what ive seen they "look" identical on the outside only real way to tell is to know it came off a JDM car.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Most people remove the oil pressure sensor and knock sensors before painting the block. Other wise looking like a good start.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
No, I am replacing those sensors. :D

More pictures tomorrow....How hard is it to install the Walbaro? Anything special?

Can't wait for those parts from DriftMotion to come. :)