Need help with 1.5jz build

MKIII VIXEN

Supramania Contributor
Feb 11, 2006
resting
Scott, My car did not perform well last night. The transmission is great, twice it barked the tires in third, but I'm still having issues. The last time I ran it I think I blew something loose, because half way down the track it lost all boost (pshhhhh) and it fell on it's face. Jay drove it after that, and it ran a 16.3 in the 8th. On the way home it was running super rich and dieing everytime I let off the gas. Jay and I never raced, that was Jay's first run.

Mine, for once, may be the easier one to fix.

It was not a good night for the Supras at Bama............:3d_frown:

But if it counts they looked real good.
p1065105_1.jpg

p1065105_2.jpg

p1065105_3.jpg

p1065105_4.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
ForcedTorque;1064885 said:
We all know you are trying to outdo what Vonda has done with her automatics. What's the score now, I'm thinking you should be at least tied?

I hate to hear it Jay, I really do!

BTW.....Are there any videos of Vonda's car from last night?
My daughter took one of Vonda's car but I erased it. She ran a 10.2 and it was the cars fault and not hers so I deleted it. We'll get 'em next time though.

Mk3runner;1064888 said:
ouchy, that vid made my teeth grind. ehh, stay in a good attitude tho.
Yeah, it's amazing how calm I remain in these situations. I guess it's only money, and I'm going to work tomorrow to make more. I've pretty much decided to go with a turbo350 tranny with a manual shift valve body.
pbasil1;1064941 said:
Os giken or an exedy would be your best bet IMO.
Thanks Pat, but I'm going to go with an automatic, unless I change my mind shortly. I'm suppose to talk with Sean Cassidy tomorrow and order his adapter plate. I've already found two 350transmissions for $50.00 each. Hopefully the guy still has them. They both need to be rebuilt though.

10secdream;1064959 said:
I know the HKS twin or triple disc clutch is a pull style clutch so a conversion kit is not needed.
Thanks again. Hopefully the chevrolet tranny won't let me down. I really miss racing my car as an automatic. It was so much more fun with the auto.

LilMissMkIII;1065067 said:
That was a damn good launch Jay!!!!!!!!!!

So sorry to hear about the clutch issues though :(
Thanks Kristel. I'm sure I'm not but a month or so away from better launches though. Better videos to come in the near future I promise.

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
*reads up and sees I missed a lot when I was out with surgery* :(
I hope all is well though. At least yall are coming out better than me...lol

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
350 huh, can a turbo 400 work? well what do I know... Sean Cassidy would know far better then anyone in this subject.

lol, you gonna be chasing vetts and chevelles down now auto style?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Mk3runner;1065180 said:
350 huh, can a turbo 400 work? well what do I know... Sean Cassidy would know far better then anyone in this subject.

chasing them down imlies that I'm behind, and that's not going to happen........:biglaugh:

What type of surgery did you have Joey?

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Had a mass removed from my chest. It sucks because it still hasn't healed. I didn't know scar tissue would hurt so bad....

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Mk3runner;1065180 said:

Turbo 350 can hold over 1000 hp if it is built. A TH400 is over kill for most cars. Sean runs a TH350 in his car. BTW, Paul Affontis (unsure of spelling his last name )ran 7's in his Supra a while back with an ATI TH350 in case nobody knew ;) A few cars that run TH350's here locally, run int he high 8's and low 9's in 3500 cars too!

Duane

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Oh noes, not an auto, chevy auto at that! I want to spread the news, SPEC SUCKS! I went thru not one, but two SPEC clutches within a whopping 0 miles. Go with an ACT clutch and be done with it.....

Hey Jay, if you need help pulling it, call me. Sorry to hear more bad news

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
rakkasan;1065337 said:
Oh noes, not an auto, chevy auto at that! I want to spread the news, SPEC SUCKS! I went thru not one, but two SPEC clutches within a whopping 0 miles. Go with an ACT clutch and be done with it.....

Hey Jay, if you need help pulling it, call me. Sorry to hear more bad news

Thanks Mark, but it's already out. I've got to talk to Sean tomorrow about the gearing for the th350 because I don't want to be doing 4000rpm everywhere I go. I don't have my 373 gears anymore so I'll have to find a good rearend. I don't think my 3.91's will like the highway runs too much.

Thanks for the post Duane.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
IJ.;1065357 said:
Auto's have a torque converter ;)

They mutiply the Tq from the engine so you could have stayed 1jz :D

Don't make me ban you.........you know I'll do it too..........:icon_evil

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
And for guys that really, really enjoy seeing the look on the other guy's face when his 5 speed gets thoroughly smoked :evil2:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
IJ.;1065393 said:
LOL go for it bigboy ;)

Well after careful consideration for all you do for the dumbasses.......I mean for the intellectually challenged people on here.......I'm going to give you one more chance...........:biglaugh:

Chris, I've given the manual transmissions more than a fighting chance which is more than they've given me.

Jon, I remember driving my car when it was an auto and I loved it. I'm really excited about this swap, but I do wonder why nobody uses the turbo400 instead of the th350. I'd love to have the fourth gear. Any comments from any of you auto lovers would be greatly appreciated.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I don't know if I posted this or not, but the transmission is broke. It's not just that the clutch was stuck to the flywheel. A piece of the transmission that goes around the input shaft is broke off about two and a half inches in length. I had a spare, but I gave it to Kwnate to use.