Need help with 1.5jz build

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I've decided to install a 2jz block in my 1991 MKIII. I'm going to use pretty much everything on my car right now as it is, except for the block. I have read alot of things about the swap and I'm hoping to do this in a very timely manner, so I'm probably going to need the help of Buckshot with this one. Who else can build a MKIII and get it running as fast as he can? Just kidding Dave, you know I love you.

Things that I've purchased so far:
1jz lightweight aluminum flywheel
Toyota clutch master cylinder
Toyota slave cylinder
New braided clutch line from slave cylinder to master cylinder
New front and rear seals
New cam seals
New CP pistons +.020 with rings, and wrist pins
New main and rod bearings
New 2jz timing belt
Block is being bored +.020
Head will be reworked while I've got it out. It's already ported and polished.
I'm using my hydrofan setup.
I'm also reusing my ARP head studs. They've only been torqued down once.

I don't know which head gasket to buy. I'm going to have the block decked, and have the head checked, but it should be fine. It's never ran hot. Does anyone know which headgaket to go with. I'm using a 2jzgte block and not the Ge block. I've seen 1.2, 1.6, and 2.0 head gaskets. I thought about going with the 1.6 stopper hg, but I don't know what that will do to my compression. I'm hoping the guys at the machine shop will be able to help me with this, but I thought I would ask you guys what you thought.

My main problem is it's January the 19th, and I dont have my block back from the machine shop yet. It won't be through until wednesday or thursday. I've still got to pull my motor and tranny out, install everything onto the 2jz, install it back into my car. I've then got to break in the clutch, get it tuned, and have all of this done in time to drive to the Texas meet in March. It looks like February is going to be a busy month for me.

What I need from you guys is to let me know what I'm missing, any tips you can offer, advice or anything that might make this go smoother for me. I know I've got to buy a 2jz waterneck and have it welded onto my 1jz waterneck to make that work out, but that shouldn't be a problem. I'll post pictures up as parts arrive. I also made a short thirty second video last night of me driving my car to prove that their isn't anything wrong with my 1jz for those of you out there that would love to hear me say my 1j has rodknock........:biglaugh:

sorry this is so long.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I forgot to say that I'm also thinking about redoing my wiring and hiding it under the fender well. All of that wiring is a complete eyesore to me and I'd like to get rid of it if possible. This may or may not happen before the Texas meet, but we'll see. Wish me luck.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
New pistons? I thought you were just going to re-ring it. Hold on to your stock pistons, I'll put those in the GE so it will drop the compression & I won't have to use a thick head gasket.

As for you head gasket, I would think that a 1.2mm would work well. The only time you would need a 2mm (or thicker) is when your running GE pistons, as they have more dome, jacking up the compression ratio....

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Mark, the gte pistons were not fit to be used. Metal has gone through the cylinder walls and the pistons are all scratched up. The bearings were paper thin, well the ones that were not gone, and the crank was fubar'd also. The ge block has been taken apart and I got the crank out of it to put in the gte block. I had to order new pistons and I'm hoping the rods are still good from the ge block because if I have to buy new rods then this project will be put on hold.

Mark, Dead is such a bummer mood.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
suprahero;891162 said:
Mark, the gte pistons were not fit to be used. Metal has gone through the cylinder walls and the pistons are all scratched up. The bearings were paper thin, well the ones that were not gone, and the crank was fubar'd also. The ge block has been taken apart and I got the crank out of it to put in the gte block. I had to order new pistons and I'm hoping the rods are still good from the ge block because if I have to buy new rods then this project will be put on hold.

Mark, Dead is such a bummer mood.

No worries, replied to your PM.

LOL, this latest school I'm in has me up to at least 1am Monday-Saturday, so dead is appropriate.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
buckshotglass;891166 said:
I'm here for you Jay. If you need on site assistance, have the Biscuits and Gravy ready.

I love me some biscuits and gravy.............:yumyum:

Mark, I've met you and you need some beauty rest................:biglaugh:

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Do you have enough play in your DP and intercooler pipes? They will have to be raised ~ 1" or so. You might get away with the play in the couplers and flex sections/rubber doughnuts, but if not, you will need your pipes modified.

as for gaskets, if you have a stock gasket, that is all you need.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Ive seen 2jzge heads blown (it was at a pawn shop, sc300 with an sc400 badge i am not joking either!) i saw a 2jzgte throw a rod through the block before i saw it blow a headgasket

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
Wow Jay very ambitious of you. I hope the project goes well with no hiccups.

I know that TRD sells these motor mounts for the 2J they do not work with the 1J and push the engine up to high so be careful on that one. I know you have a 2J block, but i am not sure about fitment and whats needed.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
jay,whats this welding a 2j and 1j waterneck together?are you talking about the little extension pipe from water pump housing to waterneck?
the 2jz waterneck hangs down a little more(not much)but has a different thread size on one of the sensor's.i would weld 2 of the little pipe's together and just re-use the 1j waterneck.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Well looks like your secret is now out Jay!! I am lucky enough to be riding with Jay to the Texas meet so any imput you guys can give that keeps me from pushing this car to Texas would be sweet!!:biglaugh: On the plus side, looks like everyones favorite build thread will be coming back!!!!::icon_bigg

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
jay are you talking about relocating the fusebox when you talk about wiring? if so then its not too hard, just more annoying that anything

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Here is what you need to do this right. I have built two 1.5jz's recently.

Timming belt 2jz (new)
timming belt iddler 2jz (New)
Water neck from a 2jz (sensors work fine with your A70 guages)
2jz bypass tube from water neck to water pump
1jz stock gasket will work. (new)

The parts that are turbo related are going to be short. (dp, IC pipes,) The oil lines and water lines should work. Make sure to clean the oil filter that is on your feed line to the turbo. After the block that you are building comes back from the machine shop, it will have some contaminents in it. Have them hot tank the block a few times after all that machine work is done.

Now that you dont need the 1jz water neck, you can send it back like we agreed on when I put your turbo kit together! LOL! :biglaugh:

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
bobiseverywhere;891241 said:
Wow Jay very ambitious of you. I hope the project goes well with no hiccups.

I know that TRD sells these motor mounts for the 2J they do not work with the 1J and push the engine up to high so be careful on that one. I know you have a 2J block, but i am not sure about fitment and whats needed.

This depends on wich combo of mounts and brackets u get. the late model or early model jz. For example I used new stock mounts when i put my 1j in my sc300, but at first i bought the 97 mounts and it sat to high. So i had to get either matching brackets or correct year mounts. So i used my Old stock mounts till my new brackets came in.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks guys. I don't really know where to begin. I guess I'll start by ordering a new 1jz headgasket monday if Champipon is open. If not, it will be tuesday.
I've ordered so many parts in the last week for my car and Vonda's, I can't remember what I've ordered and what I haven't ordered. I have two or three lists of things ordered and things I want to order. Hopefuly I'll get it all worked out.
As for the block, the machine shop that has my motor will hopefully clean it out in the hot tank. I'll call them first thing monday morning and make sure that they do that.
I'll post pictures of the block as soon as I get it home. I'm going to take my head off monday and take it by the machine shop to have it rebuilt also. I've got one shim that must be wrong because it makes a noise right now when it's cold. It makes a knocking or rattling noise and it's directly under the intake side valve cover right where the first lobe would be. I've checked the tolerances and they seem to be between specs, but something is making a not so happy noise. It's did it ever since I put the motor in my car and it still runs great though.
Here is a dark video of the car last night. I didnt' get on it much because of the city I live in has almost as many cops as it does citizens. This is just to show I'm not pulling the motor because I have too. It only shows the ignorance of it's owner and the need for more power.........and torque.
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/supraheroes/?action=view&current=last1jzride.flv

Josh, I'm going to look back at my first buildup thread, but I think I bought new 2jz motor mounts last year. Thanks.

To everyone else, thanks alot for your suggestions and comments. Keep em coming.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tsuper92;891249 said:
the 2jz waterneck hangs down a little more(not much)but has a different thread size on one of the sensor's.
Correct, the gauge sensor is different. You can just drill and re-tap it if you wanted to, or modify the connector to use the 2JZ sensor.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The 1jz block will be staying in my dungeon for the time being. It never hurts to have a back up plan...........:biglaugh:

Does anyone have any pictures of the way they did their waterneck for this swap? I would like to see what you're talking about if you don't mind.

I'm looking for as many suggestions and tips you guys may have.

Rob from Canada, do you have a build thread on your 1.5jz that I can look at? Do any of you guys have one available on here or Supraforums? Rob, how much power are you making with your setup? Thanks, Jay