Need help with 1.5jz build

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I didn't take pictures of the carnage. It's only a short piece of cast metal. At least it looks like it's cast. I broke it at the race track last night.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
All I did was launch it hard one time. I never get on my car in first gear because of tire spinnage, but I did at the track with my drag radials on and it didn't like it. I've launched it hard before and all that ever happened was the tires slipping. Last night the transmission decided to take a summer vacation.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
suprahero;1065353 said:
Thanks Mark, but it's already out. I've got to talk to Sean tomorrow about the gearing for the th350 because I don't want to be doing 4000rpm everywhere I go. I don't have my 373 gears anymore so I'll have to find a good rearend. I don't think my 3.91's will like the highway runs too much.

Thanks for the post Duane.

NP Jay, the 3.73 gearing would suffice.

gixxer750;1065436 said:
weaksauce... auto's are for people that can't drive... and well... old guys like IJ ;)

and N/A MKIV's are for people that can't have the real Supra 6 speed :sarcasm:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
suprahero;1065510 said:
I don't know if I posted this or not, but the transmission is broke. It's not just that the clutch was stuck to the flywheel. A piece of the transmission that goes around the input shaft is broke off about two and a half inches in length. I had a spare, but I gave it to Kwnate to use.

That really, really sux. But hurray for you going back to auto.

Now I thought the only difference between an TH350 and TH400 was the 400 had an electric kickdown and the 350 is hydraulic, and they both are a 3 speed. Now I've had plenty of experience with old GM's and 350's are bullet proof. I had a 67 Olds Delmont with a 425 ci and a 3 speed TH400 and I don't recall a line pressure cable but some electical gizmo that controlled downshifts. Somebody 'splain this too me.

You mention 3.91's, plural. You have some lying around your house???? Mines growling a little bit.

V's car is extremely more awesomer now with the painted trim. Excellent.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Bummer for both you guys. I was hoping for some good supra on supra vids. Good luck with going back to auto. Totally sucks about the clutch problem why can't things just be simple?

btw Cars look great in the photo's.:love:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
gtsfirefighter;1065831 said:
That really, really sux. But hurray for you going back to auto.

Now I thought the only difference between an TH350 and TH400 was the 400 had an electric kickdown and the 350 is hydraulic, and they both are a 3 speed. Now I've had plenty of experience with old GM's and 350's are bullet proof. I had a 67 Olds Delmont with a 425 ci and a 3 speed TH400 and I don't recall a line pressure cable but some electical gizmo that controlled downshifts. Somebody 'splain this too me.

You mention 3.91's, plural. You have some lying around your house???? Mines growling a little bit.

V's car is extremely more awesomer now with the painted trim. Excellent.
Thanks for the info Ken, and you're right, they're both three speeds. I guess I'm going with the 350 since the 400 weighs more and is a little bit of overkill. Shawn at Best Transmissions is a great guy to talk with and very very knowledgeable. He's practically given me a step by step of what to do, who to call, and anything else I needed. The only problem is, everyone I call is already closed for the july 4th vacation. I hate waiting on anything, but I have to wait for over a week now.
jugodegolf;1065935 said:
Bummer for both you guys. I was hoping for some good supra on supra vids. Good luck with going back to auto. Totally sucks about the clutch problem why can't things just be simple?

btw Cars look great in the photo's.:love:

I don't know why they insist on tearing up all the time George. I have a three year old F150 and a nine year old Oldsmobile Alero that I've never touched a wrench to, and I've wore three sets of wrenches out working on the supras.........:biglaugh:

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
saw your other thread, seems like th350 is the right one for you. well unless the 400 or 700r is easy to get.

really going all out now with a auto trans and all. should be promising to see this come together. almost tells you to go all crazy motor wise I would think.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Mk3runner;1066432 said:
saw your other thread, seems like th350 is the right one for you. well unless the 400 or 700r is easy to get.

really going all out now with a auto trans and all. should be promising to see this come together. almost tells you to go all crazy motor wise I would think.

My motor should be good to go for many many years. I just rebuilt it. The next thing I buy if I don't like the way this feels will be a larger turbo for the automatic. Hopefully I won't need one for a while but you never can tell..........:evil2:

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I've seen probably all the vids you posted of you racing and seen many threads. I think you'll be going for more, at least thats how I see it. I mean shit gm auto with freshly running 1.5jz... I think theres far more to come.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I will tell you this. If I do get another turbo, I'm saving up for a larger gt series. The Garrett gt series turbos are awesome. I talked to Shawn today and he was bragging on his gt40 and I don't think I'll ever need anything that large, but maybe a little larger than the 35r.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
My car will never be up for sale or up for taking. I love to gamble, but never on my car. I may be on there in an All out one day where you can't lose your ride.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
hey if its 1320 its auto for high hp, I like manuals but drag strip its auto you know.

sorry guys I'm kinda drunk right now! :icon_evil:icon_mad::icon_razz:icon_surp:love: cuz it looks cool