my car burned!

Nick Stonawski

Apr 2, 2005
Manhattan Beach
IJ;1080906 said:
It might burn that horrible hatch thing you're thinking of ;)

IJ, i sent u a PM with ur tracking number for the MR2/240sx/Ferrari/MK3 Bn Sports Hatch u ordered the other day. its on its way to u courtesy of FEDEX. ;)

MK3.0dudeman;1080906 said:
what gasket?like I said I'm going to be putting a new tank in my car soon and I don't want to risk ANY THING

the one where the nozzle meets the tank on fuel entry. its on the passenger middle side of the tank. i have replaced that gasket 3 times with NEW Toyota gaskets this year alone! for the life of me i cant understand what is wrong. i clean the surface and used Toyota silicone too. but that fuckin thing keeps leaking. i have now just made sure i dont fill fuel passed half way (where the gasket sits) to prevent leakage, and have noticed when shooting fireballs, it likes to leak too. a local tuner told me to replace my gas cap sayign its not working properly causing pressure build up which blows out the seal everytime. so i aim to replace that next.

after this thread its 100% fire extinguisher is my next mod.

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
^Whick is why I'm putting my charcoal cannister back on. Sucks man what a big loss, I know the similar feeling. A lady hit me at 45mph and finished my first 89t so sad.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
IJ.;1080928 said:
Bingo!

Tank overpressures and has to relieve somewhere.

Does it suck or blow when you take the gas cap off?

WOW I THINK YOU FIGURED OUT THE BIG MYSTERY!!

YES IT DOSE BLOW!!

what happend if I ran a vented gas cap?would that work.Or would I have to put the charcole canister back in?

Nick Stonawski

Apr 2, 2005
Manhattan Beach
IJ.;1080928 said:
Bingo!

Tank overpressures and has to relieve somewhere.

Does it suck or blow when you take the gas cap off?

well this has only happened this year! NEVER happened before. and Urbano pulled that shit 4 years ago!

on top of not filling past half way now, i also keep my gas cap turned only one turn tight to relieve pressure.

again im gonna change my gas cap.

robhojy

Dec 19, 2007
swazzy,land
wow man thats some fire, i really feel for you, a mate of mine had his car catch a light, have you considered salvaging it,

may be worth it, if not im about to put my car up for sale, would only be good to you if you fancy inporting it, its a JDM 2.5tt R, low miles 64500km, black, manual gearbox...just food for thought

but again sorry to here about this

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nick: The relief in the cap may have died.

The CC is just a vent in the top of the tank that's actuated whenever the engine is above xx degrees temp.
(The actual hardware is pretty cool and well thought out as I used all the stock parts in my 115 Litre tank)

A fresh cap may make it work ok again but I suspect it's not operating correctly as it is.

The + pressure in the tank is part of the base fuel pressure and if this isn't constant your tune will drift.

Dude: Personally I run the tiny JDM cannister and it works perfectly.
(bottom right corner)

[thumb]http://ij.supramania.com/gas11.jpg[/thumb]

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
when i first read this, only thing i could think of when seeing the damage and reading what you just did.

i think you left a bleeder valve cracked. or had alot of brake fluide on your brake pads.

silly as it sounds it's plausible... after all one of your rims is toast...

i guess i just dont see how the oily under body / or factory coating, would melt only 1 rim..

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
i always keep a fire extinguisher in my car i'v bolted it just behind the seat. never want that to happen i'm sorry for ya bud :(

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Why don't you keep the front as a clip and hold on to it til you find a nice local car with a BHG or RK or something cheap?

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
pimptrizkit;1080969 said:
i guess i just dont see how the oily under body / or factory coating, would melt only 1 rim..

The one wheel is where the fuel tank gave up its vapors and fueled the fire. Not saying your theory is flawed as it is entirely possible. Just stating where the heat came from to melt the wheel.

Sorry for your loss. Just learn the lesson and build better the next time.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Sorry about the fire. I think made the call on the exhaust.

IJ.;1080960 said:
Nick: The relief in the cap may have died.

The CC is just a vent in the top of the tank that's actuated whenever the engine is above xx degrees temp.
(The actual hardware is pretty cool and well thought out as I used all the stock parts in my 115 Litre tank)

A fresh cap may make it work ok again but I suspect it's not operating correctly as it is.

The + pressure in the tank is part of the base fuel pressure and if this isn't constant your tune will drift.

Dude: Personally I run the tiny JDM cannister and it works perfectly.
(bottom right corner)

[thumb]http://ij.supramania.com/gas11.jpg[/thumb]

IJ never ceases to amaze.

subjug4tor

Man up, Nancy.
May 8, 2008
DFW, texas
I don't know about how it would react leaking from a open bleeder on a car that's being driven, but in my experience, brake fluid is not very flammable at all. Doing brake work on a friends '70 C-10 pickup, bending hard lines and such, of course we got bored with the propane torch. In our game of "will it burn?", brake fluid only burned while we held the torch on it., unlike gear oil, which burned like crazy once we got it hot enough to get going.