Jon's 1989 1JZ single turbo restoration and build: Stellllllaaaaa!

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Thanks redbullx83, mytymk3!

flyguyaaron, I assume you're talking about the gas springs for the doors? I'm not sure, I can check if they're marked.

The rear fenders are pretty much ready, they just need some primer. Now I'm waiting for the front fenders from the group buy, once I have those, I will start on the side skirts.

While I wait, I have been working on the front bumper. I decided to alter the shape a little bit. I originally went a different route, and never felt it was quite right.

Before:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...laaaaa!-quot&p=1287656&viewfull=1#post1287656

Currently - work in progress as always, and sorry for the lousy pics, forgot to grab the camera so I used my phone:
IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
A little more progress:

P1010089.JPG

I think I'll change it to a nice wide radius going into the side holes, right now it is pretty small.

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
More bumper progress this weekend. I think I am finally close to the final shape. I widened the radius leading into the "outer" holes with the bars, and blended it into the face. I also tightened up the radius on the edges leading into the center hole, it now matches the top of the center hole.

P1010114.JPG

P1010123.JPG

P1010124.JPG

Last edited:

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Lookin' good!! At least you got progress lmao... I just have an growing pile of parts I have no time to install... FML.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
We had a new arrival on Nov 2, a baby boy, ::w00t:: so car progress is completely stalled for a while.

I did receive the front fenders from the group buy last Friday. Call me crazy but I do intend on modifying those too. :yikes: Maybe by the time the kids are driving the car will be ready :)

Having the front fenders does mean that progress on the body work can continue, as they were a prerequisite to attaching the side skirts.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Finally got around to test fitting the front fenders:

P1020239.JPG

P1020243.JPG

P1020218.JPG

P1020221.JPG

Wide profile vs stock profile:

P1020229.JPG

How much wider?

P1020230.JPG

They sat about 10mm or so too far in at the top, so I had to use a spacer bolt on one of the tabs to push it out to match the doors. I'm not sure why this is - the top attachment lip wasn't at 90 degrees, so I think it may have had some influence on the positioning. I'm not sure whether I'll modify the attachment tab, or just leave the bolt as-is. I'll need to add some material to fill the gap between the fender and the A-pillar as well.

P1020240.JPG

P1020242.JPG

Need to fit the other side and check the fit with the hood as well. I think the shape is a bit too aggressive for my taste, so I will be keeping the width, but modifying the profile a little bit to be somewhere between factory and extreme, and better match the profile of the rears.

Last edited:

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
:yikes:...I thought these fenders were plug and play? How much would you think (cost) to have these fenders fixed (fitted) by the body shop? If, one self doesn't have the knowledge to do the work...ball park figure?

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
T701jz;1785537 said:
:yikes:...I thought these fenders were plug and play? How much would you think (cost) to have these fenders fixed (fitted) by the body shop? If, one self doesn't have the knowledge to do the work...ball park figure?

I'm not sure what the deal is, if it's just mine that's off, or if it's both sides even. It shouldn't add much to the cost if you're already paying them to install, prep, and paint them.

puerto;1785556 said:
great f***ing thread man...motivation!!!!

Thanks!

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
wow 42mm wider thats huge lol im definitly going to need some spacers on the front.

how much wider exactly were the rears I was told 40mm but would be interested to see what they actualy end up as too

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
rodel;1785596 said:
Thanks for sharing your progress on the widebody. These original S2 fenders were test fitted by Shine. Adjustments were made prior to the fender mold production. There should be no gap between the A-pillar and fender. Check out the pics on page 1 of the group buy thread.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...e-Front-Wide-Body-Fenders-by-Shineautoproject

Unfortunately mine don't fit like that. There is definitely something off with the fitment. The rest of the body is straight as an arrow, and the factory fenders were bolted up with perfect fitment. I measured vs the stock fender and from the front edge where it meets the nose piece to the spot where it meets the back of the hood is about 3/16" shorter than stock. It's not really a big deal to me though - the issues are minor and I can fix them. Basically, what I see is that the top lip isn't 90 degrees, more like 75 or 80, when I bolted just the top on, the bottom of the fender stuck out from the car about a foot, and I had to caress it down in to place. It's trimmed about 3/16" too short where it meets the A-pillar, and the A-pillar mounting tab is about 3/8" too shallow, both as pictured.

I haven't bolted up the other side yet, I just bought another project for a new daily driver so it has priority until it's running.

mytmk3;1785634 said:
wow 42mm wider thats huge lol im definitly going to need some spacers on the front.

how much wider exactly were the rears I was told 40mm but would be interested to see what they actualy end up as too

I didn't take measurements but they are about 50mm I believe.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Well folks, I have some sad news.

When I started this project I was a single guy with a passion for cars and a paycheck to kill. Now I'm at a different life stage, and raising a family is priority. Between lack of time, lack of space, lack of "fun" money, and just a general shift of priorities, I've decided to call off this project as a whole. I think I will continue working on the bare shell, and perhaps keep it to finish it at a later date. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't an easy decision - I have a lot invested into custom work on this car, and the community is fantastic. When it comes down to it though, kids > car :)

For those interested, I will start a part-out thread in a couple weeks, once I've had the chance to finish some other projects and take inventory and pictures.