Jon's 1989 1JZ single turbo restoration and build: Stellllllaaaaa!

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
As you may remember, I opted to route my engine harness through my speedometer cable hole. I never did like cable driven speedometers, at least since electronic ones were around. I've been trying to figure a solution to an electronic speedometer for the Supra.

I went to the junkyard yesterday and scored a Gen 3 Camry gauge cluster for $15, steering rack heat shield for free, and a VSS from a V6 4-Runner for $4.

I'm pleased to say the R150F VSS fits perfectly in the R154 and even had the right tooth count for JZA70 4.10:1 gears since the factory 4-Runner gears are 4.10:1 as well.

R154 speedo cable drive on the left and R150F VSS on the right:
photo 1.JPG

Installed:
photo 2.JPG

Wiring up the Camry cluster to the VSS and getting it functioning on the bench was cake. Just need to get it working in the Supra cluster with the Supra gauge face.

Goodbye archaic cable driven speedometer!

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Thanks Lance!

I've decided to go with the S2 widebody fenders from the Shine group buy. I test fit the suspension and wheels over the weekend and the offsets on the Equips are a bit too low for the fitment I'm after. So the current plan is to run the 18"x10"s on the front and since the 18"x9.5" set needs new lips anyway, use them on the back and switch them from a 2" to a 4" lip and make them 18"x11.5". I'm thinking 275's on the front, probably 315's on the rear. It's a bit extreme but it should work with the widebody kit.

I also test fit the Precision/Wilwood 6 piston BBK, and even with the high clearance face wheels I'm looking at an 8mm spacer to clear the calipers. Here I thought I was done messing with the hubs, but it looks like I'll need some longer wheel studs so they'll have to come apart again.

One step forward and two steps back...

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Finally found an IS300 T2 Torsen:
differential.jpg

It came with a 3.91 ring and pinion so I now have 3.73, 3.91, and 4.10 gear sets in the garage. Which to use?? :)

I think I'll probably stick with the 3.73's, maybe the 3.91.

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Yeah I know it's a bit overkill. But the bigger pump was only $20 more on Amazon before they jacked up the prices. I figured $20 was good insurance to not have to upgrade it later.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Over the weekend I built a frame to support the pump and filters. It is welded to the fuel cell support bar at the top and also welded to the back of the fuel cell box.

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

I decided not to use the filter clamps since they were pretty flimsy and didn't provide much support anyhow. The support from the pump (they screw straight in) is far more than the filter brackets could ever provide. I made the frame wide enough to attach the filter brackets to, which is why it's wider than it needs to be.

I also finished with the seam sealer on the back of the car. Tonight I should have the priming and undercoating done there.

I have a feeling that it's going to be a bit of a wait on the front widebody fenders to be produced. In the mean time, I think I'll work on getting the engine bay painted or maybe rebuild and refinish the differential.

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Santa came early this year :D

P1000365.JPG

P1000366.JPG

P1000367.JPG

P1000369.JPG

The passenger one didn't fit right up quite as nicely, I think there are some clearance issues due to the shaved fuel door. No biggie, I'll be shaving the one on the overlay as well.

I'm also not super thrilled about how they fit to the wheel arch in a way that gives no extra tire clearance. I'm sure it's designed that way for ease of installation, but it rather defeats the purpose. I'll be addressing that by trimming the overlay arches in addition to the factory arches, as originally planned.

Last edited:

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Ooooo!!!! can't wait to see it all put together :D... it's kinda lonely having the only running supra around here... wait... nvm :p

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
OfnaRcR4;1707266 said:
Glad you are donng stuff right, good luck!

Thanks!

OfnaRcR4;1707266 said:
PS, i'll have a pint and two e's please.

Huh?

Made a little progress tonight. I got the passenger fender to fit a bit better. I took a grinder to the insides where it meets the body and leveled out the high spots. I also cut off the recessed portion for the fuel door that I'll be shaving anyhow. It fits much better now.

Here is a pic of the fitment of the fender to the arch:
P1000371.JPG

As you can see, in unmodified form, they aren't going to allow any wider wheels to tuck under there.

Passenger side taped up:
P1000374.JPG

From the front (please excuse the poor focus):
P1000376.JPG

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Had a busy weekend, but didn't have much of a chance to work on the car. I did pick up some Cleco's and pliers, another tube of panel bonding adhesive, and a much needed new welder tip and nozzle. I might need to pick up some more sheet metal for the fender wells, but otherwise I'm ready to rock and should have them at least mounted this week.

Last edited: