Jon's 1989 1JZ single turbo restoration and build: Stellllllaaaaa!

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
supra91gsxr06;1511639 said:
hey i can help u with converting the mechanical gauge to electric

Good deal!

I'd like to keep the stock gauge. I was thinking of trying to use the guts of a 3rd gen Camry speedometer with the Supra face and needle, then using a Dakota Digital SGI-5 to calibrate it. Either that or a Cable-X but I'd rather not take that route unless I have to. Any ideas you have would be appreciated.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
supra91gsxr06;1511639 said:
hey i can help u with converting the mechanical gauge to electric

Any info you have would be appreciated.

Update:
My Supra now has mufflers and my dining room does not.

IMG_3450.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3453.JPG

IMG_3454.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3456.JPG

IMG_3457.JPG

IMG_3458.JPG

IMG_3459.JPG

The right one looks a bit crooked, despite using a straightedge across the bottom of the tips to align them. I must say I'm a bit disappointed by the fit and finish of the Magnaflows. Everything for the exhaust is and will be 304 stainless, including the hangers. No rust here! Oh and yes I cut off the rear tow hooks and will be covering the holes. It will still have the front ones and can always be put on a flatbed. If the car ends up in a situation that it NEEDS to be towed from the rear, then I'm probably not too worried about how it's latched on to at that point.

I also reinforced the rear subframe. I didn't have any cracks, but I'd rather do it while it's already off the car than wait until they develop. Next it will get the POR-15 treatment.

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3461.JPG

IMG_3462.JPG

The weather is supposed to be nice through the weekend, so I'm planning to get the last coat of primer on the body and work on shaping the rear bumper. :icon_bigg

Last edited:

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Lookin good! Guess I better start prepping for paint when I get back from 2k10 :)

Won't be around this weekend, but I can lend a hand with whatever weekend after 2k10 if ya need it!

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
For that Por 15, when Brent did his Challenger he just went to Harbor Freight and bought a couple of $5 touch up guns, then just threw them away after spraying. You can't clean that stuff out a of your paint gun.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Rajunz;1529792 said:
For that Por 15, when Brent did his Challenger he just went to Harbor Freight and bought a couple of $5 touch up guns, then just threw them away after spraying. You can't clean that stuff out a of your paint gun.

Thanks for the tip, Lance. I've just been brushing it on with a foam brush. It self-levels pretty well. Plus with the way it sticks like mad to everything I don't think I'd want to deal with overspray.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
I got another coat of primer on her this Saturday:

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3533.JPG

I also POR-15'd the rear subframe and bumper supports.

IMG_3534.JPG

IMG_3535.JPG

IMG_3536.JPG

The POR-15 self-leveled quite nicely, since it took forever to dry, but unfortunately I can't say the same for the topcoat. Oh well, they won't be very visible anyhow, and at least they won't rust.

My recommendation: use the POR-15 as a primer, then paint with Krylon or Rust-Oleum. That's basically what they're giving you for a topcoat anyhow. Even better, use your favorite 2 part auto paint.

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Good job on selling the 350Z for the M3. Drop it on the Dinan setup. They are good suspension setups. They only deal with BMW. Maybe a chip for the computer. I always wanted a E46 M3 but now that has changed to a 335i Coupe Six Speed.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Finished the rough shape of the rear bumper today:

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

I might add some fins to the middle.

I had contemplated buying the Regulus rear, but already had the Bomex sides molded in and I like them better than the sides of the Regulus piece anyhow. Sure I could have cut it up and worked it in with the existing bumper, but if I have to do custom work I'd rather not hack up a rare, expensive piece to do it.

Last edited:

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
man, i just need to send you my bumper, it might actually get done that way! lol, been too busy/lazy to work on it lately

great work as always tho!

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
The body is ready aside from the trunk floor and fuel cell mounting. I've been working on getting the loose stuff - moldings, nose piece, headlight lids and surrounds, etc ready for primer.

I've ordered a 15 gallon fuel cell, a new rear passenger knuckle to replace the one that was seized to the axle, two refurb rear axles, and new front lower ball joints. My new goal is to get the trunk floor done, get the bottom of the car cleaned and undercoated, and get the suspension done so I can have the thing rolling so that it go to the painter. I was originally planning on building a temporary booth and painting it in the garage, but we're trying to sell the house so the idea of doing at the same time just doesn't work. Plus when it comes time to move, having the car rolling will make it so that it's actually feasible to move it.

Now I just need to find a place that will paint it. All the body shops in the area have told me "we only do collision repair, nobody does repaints anymore". Rats.