Jon's 1989 1JZ single turbo restoration and build: Stellllllaaaaa!

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

I worked all day on the car yesterday and got the rest of the main body primed along with the doors and fenders. While prepping the doors I noticed some stress cracks at the window regulator mounting points so I welded those up too. Both my regulators also have broken tabs. I always wondered why the windows seemed loose, now I know. But now the question is why were they so stressed?

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_4617.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

I also sprayed some guide coat. Looks like I have myself lots of block sanding to do. Oh what fun :)

IMG_4619.JPG

I still need to prime the hatch as well, since I didn't have room in the garage to do it this time around. The hood and targa are CF so I'll just scuff them before color. Then there's the issue of bumpers, header panel, headlight covers, sideskirts. Still lots left. One of these days, this thing will have some color on it I swear.

Last edited:

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Lookin good! I might be up your way tonight picking up a go kart frame, you gonna be around? Like to stop by and check out the progress, promise not to park in Kyna's spot this time :)

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
dok33;1442066 said:
Lookin good! I might be up your way tonight picking up a go kart frame, you gonna be around? Like to stop by and check out the progress, promise not to park in Kyna's spot this time :)

I should be here.

Buying a go-kart because you don't have enough projects?

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Between 2 car projects, a bike project (soon to be 2), and a partially demo'd master bathroom I need a few more things to work on...

It's actually for Courtney's son (that's what I'm claiming at least), he mentioned he wanted to build a go kart and I found a frame on CL cheap thanks to my newly set up Google RSS reader :) Now if I could just talk her into letting me put an 80cc 2-stroke motor on it :evil2:

/end hijack

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Lookin good man, really good. You don't like sanding ? My opinion its a fun stage because the better your sanding, the better your paint lays down. I've been told I am quite good at making a glass-smooth surface. Too bad your in TX, if you were a little closer I'd lend a hand.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
MKIIISupraGuy;1442230 said:
Lookin good man, really good. You don't like sanding ? My opinion its a fun stage because the better your sanding, the better your paint lays down. I've been told I am quite good at making a glass-smooth surface. Too bad your in TX, if you were a little closer I'd lend a hand.

Thanks!

I don't abhor it or anything, it's just tedious and messy. At least I'm done with the engine bay - all those contours made my fingers hurt. Out here on the flats at least I can use a block for most of it. Either way, progress is progress right? :D

CanadianLurch

Oct 14, 2008
Alberta
Looking stellar man, wish I had time to do that to my car....1jz swap was enough work for now lol! Good Luck cant wait to see when its done

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
CanadianLurch;1443924 said:
Looking stellar man, wish I had time to do that to my car....1jz swap was enough work for now lol! Good Luck cant wait to see when its done

Thanks. It's been about 5 years in the making so far - I don't have all that much time either so it's spread pretty thin.

Time for the last update of 2009 :)

Progress has been slow... but still moving ever so slowly.

It's been too cold for primer/paint (aside from today which it's gorgeous and I'm stuck inside working) but I did get the sanding of this coat of primer done. I found some low spots so it'll need another coat of primer then it's time for paint.

I got the Bomex rear add-ons molded to the bumper. The Evercoat Matrix panel bonding adhesive works great, but man is it tough to dispense with a hand caulking gun. I bought an 18v Ryobi one since I already had the batteries but have yet to try it. It should be a life saver when it comes time for the side skirts though.

My fiancee is now 9 months along with our baby so our world is about to be shaken up a bit.

Speaking of babies, I sold the 350Z and picked up this:

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4650.JPG

Which unfortunately lead to this:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=300031

But thankfully I dropped it off at the body shop this morning and it's being taken care of.

It's a 2004, carbon black on cinnamon with 66K on the clock. Manual transmission of course. The SMG (hydraulically shifted sequential manual) was kinda nifty but not convincing enough for me.

Aside from a shift knob, it's bone stock for now. A shift kit, clutch delay valve delete, ZCP suspension and brakes, resonators to get rid of the rasp and maybe wheels are all I have planned for it. Oh and some Recaro child seats of course :)

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Our wonderful baby girl has been keeping us busy, so there's not much to report as of late, just this:

IMG_3305.JPG

18x9.5 +24
18x10 +18
:love:

I'm still trying to decide what to do with the rear bumper.

Last edited:

85?

600hpFTW
Dec 21, 2005
Hawaii for 4years
Man I am getting some rims close to this size myself, I wonder how they will fit the body? Mine are 19X9.5 and 19X10.5 all +22 Volk SF Challenge RMC

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Mobes which Lambo kit did you install and how is it working for you? I wouldn't mind some pics of the door open all the way if you have any. I am thinking of having a Universal 90 degree Lambo door kit installed on mine while I have it in being worked on. I was told that the S2 GullCuore is the best fit but very expensive and available only in Japan. So I am considering

this one off ebay $449
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400097722363&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or this one from LamboDoors4U for $295
http://www.lambodoors4u.com/servlet/the-429/90-CONVERSION-DEGREE-DOOR/Detail

or this one from YourHotCar for $499
http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/Lamb...ts/All/Diablo_90_Deg_Vertical_Door_Kit/17400/

Which would you suggest. Thanks and great job on your build/restoration

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
I bought them from this guy:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?71649

They weren't completely "bolt on" as they required some modification to both the car and the hinges - but they were much closer than any universal kit would be.

Tekdeus and tried to fit the 90 degree ones like you've linked to, but didn't have any luck. The geometry just doesn't work with our cars.

supra91gsxr06

Dec 17, 2009
buena park
hey i can help u with converting the mechanical gauge to electric
mobes;1429993 said:
Pics!
IMG_4602.jpg

IMG_4603.jpg

Notice anything different? I shaved the existing wire harness hole and welded in a plate where the speedometer cable went through in order to use the MKIV harness grommet. I never liked how the harness went all the way across the back of the engine bay. This should be much cleaner this way. I just need to figure out an electric speedometer now :)

IMG_4604.jpg

I decided to shave the rear wiper too.