Jon's 1989 1JZ single turbo restoration and build: Stellllllaaaaa!

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
mobes;1413931 said:
Flame away :)

Ricer :sarcasm: Looking good, can't believe the bay is in primer! I'm gone every weekend for the next 3 weeks and will be putting long hours into the death box during the week but I'll come lend a hand after the Challenge. I don't have any skills but I can hand you tools and do other menial tasks :biglaugh:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
dok33;1414379 said:
Ricer :sarcasm: Looking good, can't believe the bay is in primer! I'm gone every weekend for the next 3 weeks and will be putting long hours into the death box during the week but I'll come lend a hand after the Challenge. I don't have any skills but I can hand you tools and do other menial tasks :biglaugh:

There's always lots of sanding :)

Speaking of, my fingers hurt. Laid down some guide coat and wet sanded about 2/3 of the engine bay. Ran out of sandpaper though. I'm hoping to have the engine bay in final primer by this weekend. Then on to the rest of the car. The engine bay is the hardest part though because of all the contours.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
The engine bay is ready for another (hopefully final) coat of primer, and I've been sanding the rest of the car. It seems that it was re-painted once on the passenger side and 3+ times on the driver's side. The front of the front fender and rear of the rear quarter have an extra layer making 4 repaints. I've been taking it all down to the factory primer layer. Amazingly, I haven't encountered any body filler. I should have the body in primer by the weekend (it's supposed to be sunny) but then I still have some work to do on shaping the bumpers and attaching the side skirts. I need to figure out how to do that with the lambo hinges though and still do a good job of painting the jams.

I'm thinking something like this for the rear bumper:
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4529/4881/23822440267_large.jpg
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4529/4881/23822440277_large.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4529/4881/23822440306_large.jpg
Photo credit: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2382244

As I was sanding, the thought came to mind that I could do a carbon overlay on the whole rest of the roof, down the pillars, to the line at the top of the doors. Then it would match up nicely with the carbon targa. Too much? I know there are cars out there with carbon roof overlays, but they don't normally come down the pillars.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
jugodegolf;1429178 said:
Where's all the pics. Wish I could see this in a month.

On the last page :)

I have some more but my GF has my memory card at the moment.

Are you coming to the fall cruise?

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
mobes;1429183 said:
On the last page :)

I have some more but my GF has my memory card at the moment.

Are you coming to the fall cruise?

both are under the knife.:3d_frown: 92 had a stuck open injector.:icon_evil

Would if I could man. Missing that lime creek and tx hospitality big time.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
jugodegolf;1429189 said:
both are under the knife.:3d_frown: 92 had a stuck open injector.:icon_evil

Would if I could man. Missing that lime creek and tx hospitality big time.

That sucks. Wish you could make it. TX2K10?

arizzle;1429193 said:
cars coming along nicely!

lets see this thing painted and together!

Thanks, believe me, I'm anxiously awaiting the day.

remkye08;1429721 said:
do you have a black supra?

I did, but right now I have a primer Supra.

remkye08;1429721 said:
with a great britain flag in the front?

Nope, that wasn't me.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Pics!

IMG_4602.jpg

IMG_4603.jpg

Notice anything different? I shaved the existing wire harness hole and welded in a plate where the speedometer cable went through in order to use the MKIV harness grommet. I never liked how the harness went all the way across the back of the engine bay. This should be much cleaner this way. I just need to figure out an electric speedometer now :)

IMG_4604.jpg

I decided to shave the rear wiper too.

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
I sprayed another coat of primer today. Still getting used to the new gun.

IMG_4605.JPG

IMG_4606.JPG

IMG_4607.JPG

I also bought a stud welder from Horror Freight to pull some dings with, but didn't have a 20A extension cord to try it out.

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Looks so smooth! I'm envious! Need to continue work on my black supra....
I was going to take a similar route but I'm planning to cut out the inner wheel wells also and weld in a curved sheet to make it extra smooth

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
spinningheadboy;1439422 said:
Looking great!

Thanks

The mirrors should go nicely :)

supra90turbo;1439428 said:
Looks so smooth! I'm envious! Need to continue work on my black supra....
I was going to take a similar route but I'm planning to cut out the inner wheel wells also and weld in a curved sheet to make it extra smooth

The thought had crossed my mind, but I don't have the tools or know-how to get the curves right. I'm looking forward to seeing your rendition :)

Updates:
I wasn't impressed by the stud welder. I did a dozen or so studs and either they didn't stick because I didn't weld long enough, or they stuck but caused a dent from the spring pressure and heat. All I ever managed to do is pull the dents that I caused back where I started from. Back to Horror Freight it went.

On another note, I've made a lot of progress with the filler and other prep, so I should have the rest of the body in primer this weekend! :drink1:

I'm still trying to decide what to do with the bumper. It looks like an E39 M5 diffuser could be made to work, if I could get a hold of one. There is only one place that was making the style I want and they aren't selling them anymore. :(

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
mobes;1439804 said:
Thanks

The mirrors should go nicely :)

The thought had crossed my mind, but I don't have the tools or know-how to get the curves right. I'm looking forward to seeing your rendition :)

Updates:
I wasn't impressed by the stud welder. I did a dozen or so studs and either they didn't stick because I didn't weld long enough, or they stuck but caused a dent from the spring pressure and heat. All I ever managed to do is pull the dents that I caused back where I started from. Back to Horror Freight it went.

On another note, I've made a lot of progress with the filler and other prep, so I should have the rest of the body in primer this weekend! :drink1:

I'm still trying to decide what to do with the bumper. It looks like an E39 M5 diffuser could be made to work, if I could get a hold of one. There is only one place that was making the style I want and they aren't selling them anymore. :(

could always try the APR universal CF diffuser

and your front bumper is tits man, makes me thing of a early GTR when i see it

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Nice build up....single project!
Good to see you are almost done.It's a nice feeling.
I am almost done with my single,and I get horny every time
I hit the pedal to the metal..:biglaugh:
And the wastegate screams like a beast :naughty: