If you're an mk3 owner: How do you respond when someone says, "It's just not a mk4"

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
MadRPM;1954287 said:
Who gives a flying fuck? Pretty sure if they didn't watch F&F, they probably wouldn't know what a Supra is even if you pointed one out.

I tried to read through this whole thread but when I read this comment it hit the nail on the head. Most people only like mk4's because they are in the movies. Just like why everyone loved 69 chargers and mustang gt500's. I remember when I was 14 and though muscle cars were better then every other car out their. Now my opinions come a long way. I never pictured myself owning a jdm car coming from a long heritage of american muscle mostly chevy's and ford's. But even now my uncles enjoy helping me because it's something different and even their surprised with how my car performs. they use to say "for the price you put into that you could of just bought a corvette". now I'm pretty sure they know it's just as quick, maybe not as cheap but worth every penny for the originality and it's just as easy to work on once you learn the way around it. I have a 1jz as my car is rhd but I love it, the only people I've recieved neglegant comments from i view as ignorant and it really doesn't bother me. and I would go 1uz boosted before a 2jz any day. Look at the top secret supra, not a 2jz anymore either.

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Haha, it is funny the S2000 came up. When my S2000 was "mostly stolen" I purchased my MKIII as a replacement.

Does this mean I am anti-midlife crisising?

But back on topic, I just tell MKIII haters this: "I'm running a 3JZ-GZE, and yes, it was overnighted from Japan."

theGOODWIN2012

Supraman
Oct 28, 2012
Long Island, NY
+1

loc182;1954511 said:
Haha, it is funny the S2000 came up. When my S2000 was "mostly stolen" I purchased my MKIII as a replacement.

Does this mean I am anti-midlife crisising?

But back on topic, I just tell MKIII haters this: "I'm running a 3JZ-GZE, and yes, it was overnighted from Japan."

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Eh, I'd love to have a MKIV, but interior wise the MKIII wins out (the seats are far better IMHO).

I like ALL the Supras though, even the MKI...

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Its not exactly mk3 vs. Mk4.. but my girl and I were going to the store.. as we walked outside I said "lets take the falcon!" (Her brother has a very nice looking 71? Falcon.." and then I saw the supra sitting next to it with the top off and I just said "On second thought......" Lol.

I would never sell my Mk3 for a Mk4. Theyre both lovely cars, and someday I will own both. They're vastly different styling and I just happen to like both haha

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
theGOODWIN2012;1954508 said:
Stunning. Only thing thatd be awesome was lowering it a tad.

Working on that. See my threads from yesterday :)

Anyone know how to get ahold of Tokico Illumina II TEMS shocks?

Tokico Illumina II TEMS shocks and Eibach Pro-kit Springs

MkIII FTW;1954514 said:
Ummmmm you sure you don't want to get rid of that?? I'll get the plane ticket to get out there and pick it up like next week haha. Damn that's pretty.

lol. yah. for now... I'm sure. I sold the same thing 12 yrs ago. I'm gonna hang onto this one for a little while. I bought it from the original owner at 68K original miles in 2011. Zero paint work. The interior and exterior is completely factory original. It has only 73K miles on the clock as of now.

Here are some interior pics from a 2011 thread.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
VegaSupra;1954540 said:
Working on that. See my threads from yesterday :)

Anyone know how to get ahold of Tokico Illumina II TEMS shocks?

Tokico Illumina II TEMS shocks and Eibach Pro-kit Springs

lol. yah. for now... I'm sure. I sold the same thing 12 yrs ago. I'm gonna hang onto this one for a little while. I bought it from the original owner at 68K original miles in 2011. Zero paint work. The interior and exterior is completely factory original. It has only 73K miles on the clock as of now.

Here are some interior pics from a 2011 thread.

last i heard they were on backorder or tokico dropped them from the line but i had to go to ebay a couple months ago. they ended up being about 40 more than what driftmotion was asking both shipping included...so its not that bad of a hit. im really liking the stance that the h&r race springs gave. i took a drive south of houston and back and it helped settle things even better than pictured...maybe another 3/8" or more

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
I usually just say "because older cars have more soul, and the mkiii feels right"

Im also in the group that may eventually get a mkiv but only if a fantastic deal falls in my lap, and I'd never EVER sell ANY of my mkiii's for one

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
same here, mine is here to stay...shes a bitch but shes mine...

i just want a mkiv because of the looks...hell, keep em stock with even the most basic of front lips, lowered and sitting on ccw classics, DONE...so fucking sexy. the mk3 is no exception to this either...those are the kind of cars i prefer, almost anything that doesnt need a front end conversion or jdm tails to make it look clean

19supra90

Noob.
Mar 11, 2008
Findlay
I've always had compliments on my car. Even had a guy ask if I was selling it! I've had people say they love the flip up headlights, and an older gentleman say its a nice car and hasn't seen one since he was young. Makes me feel different but in a good way. And my car is in no way pristine condition. All in all doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
All of the F&F people are dumb. They would have never found out about the supra's in general. With the hood up on my MKIII people say "Oh is that a 2j" I say "yes". They think they are so smart as they say how cool my 7mgte engine is. Ooops I mean "2j" Who cares about those dumb people. Yes i do like MKIV's and may get one someday. But I love my great Grand Touring machine.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Hey mk3 has character that isn't molested by a movie. A lot of things I love about it others I'm like "Really Toyota"?!! (i.e. Fuel filter >_<) But all in all, I'm happy with it. So happy in fact that I just bought another one haha

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
hvyman;1954478 said:
I didnt read all of it but i prolly would have asked him why he drives a rx8 when rx7's are soo much better and faster.

That's what I'm thinking too; how much credibility can you possess when you drive a RX8? A factory RX8 is the definition of mediocre, and a waste of rotary motor.

At the end of the day, a MKIV is just a chassis. If you're lucky you may find a BPU TT 6 speed for around $23,000, and is also beat to shit. Instead of purchasing a factory TT MKIV 6spd with some decent APU mods, I'd rather see someone buy a clean SC300 or MK3 chassis which can be swapped to a 2JZ-GTE/R154 and made to be faster than most MKIVs.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
All I can say is, I'm not paying more than KBB apprased value for an Mk4. With that in mind, I probably won't get one because most people think its worth 26k all dented to hell and a motor with 205k miles.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
SupraMedical68;1954630 said:
That's what I'm thinking too; how much credibility can you possess when you drive a RX8? A factory RX8 is the definition of mediocre, and a waste of rotary motor.

At the end of the day, a MKIV is just a chassis. If you're lucky you may find a BPU TT 6 speed for around $23,000, and is also beat to shit. Instead of purchasing a factory TT MKIV 6spd with some decent APU mods, I'd rather see someone buy a clean SC300 or MK3 chassis which can be swapped to a 2JZ-GTE/R154 and made to be faster than most MKIVs.

such silly nonsense i tell you. what a bunch of hogwash.