If you're an mk3 owner: How do you respond when someone says, "It's just not a mk4"

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Supra0089;1954265 said:
I was in my MR2 the other day at a gas station. A kid in an rx8 pulls up behind me. We start talking and he says, "man, that MR2 is awesome. I'm a huge toyota fan! I love the supra's as well!"

I say, "Oh nice, I have a supra too"

The guy's mouth drops, " you have an MR2 and a Supra? That's like my dream combo! What year is the supra?"

I'm feeling pretty good, this coming from a mazda guy. I say, "it's an 89, it was my first love."

His expression suddenly turns to puzzlement. "Why do you have an mk3 when an mk4 is better? I don't know man, why would you dump all that money into an mk3 when you could have bought an mk4 instead?"

My response, "because I wanted to?..."

So I ask you guys and girls out there, what do you say when this happens? I get this like 75% of the time when I run into someone either with my supra, or I'm talking with a guy and mention that I have one. It's true that I could have bought an mk4 by now with how much I have in my mk3, but I just don't want an mk4. After 8 years of owning a mk3 supra, I'm starting to get annoyed by these comments.

Common comments are, "it will never be a mk4" (which I respond as, no...it won't...duh?); "an mk4 would destroy the mk3; an mk4 is better; oh...? an mk3....I've always wanted an mk4; the only real supra is a mk4 supra; nice celica/probe/240...where's the supra?; did they make a supra before 93? (I think this guy was serious btw); if you wanted power, you shoulda gone 2jz; It's nice, but it's just not an mk4; when I think of supra, I don't think of that"

My brother has a 94 Supra. It's really awesome and fun to drive, but I'd rather drive my MR2 because it performs better. I like the looks of the mk3 supra better. Why don't mk3 supras light up the room/road like a mk4 supra? Especially when a mk3 is in really pristine condition (which mine is pretty close to) and is just as fast as my brother's and many other mk4 supras. I totally respect and love the jza80, and am a Toyota sports car enthusiast, but I find this disappointing.

Do you guys and girls feel annoyed? How do you respond to these situations? What do you do? Do you ever find yourself wishing it was an mk4 just to get respect? What are your thoughts and experiences?

On topic

I've been riding in a MA70 chassis since 1988. I bought all of my MK3s out of nostalgia, so I usually don't really care what people think about my 1990. After so many years of ownership I usually don't let people bait me into those types of conversations. If someone does ask me anything stupid about the MK3, I just tell them that I'm a second generation Supra owner -- or that I have a MKIV already.

Hell, even if I'm using the MKIV, someone will say "oh it's an automatic". Some drunk guy with a turbo PT Cruiser was really disappointed in the car, even though he couldn't even drive a car legally because he had just gotten a DUI.

People can't even seem grasp that I didn't really want a standard transmission in a MKIV (W58 is whack and the V160 cost too damn much). If I felt that strongly about it, I would only need to spend around $500 shipped to have the complete R154 conversion swap.

OP, even if you had a nice MKIV single running Pro EFI on E85, making XXXwhp someone would say, "Why don't you buy a GTR R35 or a Camaro ZL1?" That's just how most people are.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
SupraMedical68;1954645 said:
On topic

I've been riding in a MA70 chassis since 1988. I bought all of my MK3s out of nostalgia, so I usually don't really care what people think about my 1990. After so many years of ownership I usually don't let people bait me into those types of conversations. If someone does ask me anything stupid about the MK3, I just tell them that I'm a second generation Supra owner -- or that I have a MKIV already.

Hell, even if I'm using the MKIV, someone will say "oh it's an automatic". Some drunk guy with a turbo PT Cruiser was really disappointed in the car, even though he couldn't even drive a car legally because he had just gotten a DUI.

People can't even seem grasp that I didn't really want a standard transmission in a MKIV (W58 is whack and the V160 cost too damn much). If I felt that strongly about it, I would only need to spend around $500 shipped to have the complete R154 conversion swap.

OP, even if you had a nice MKIV single running Pro EFI on E85, making XXXwhp someone would say, "Why don't you buy a GTR R35 or a Camaro ZL1?" That's just how most people are.

There you go, right from the horse's mouth. Let the bigots be bigots and proceed with your life.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
emiliorescigno;1954387 said:
Also,
Going a little off topic here, but to the OP: It's A MKIII, NOT AN MKIII

Depends on how you pronounce MK3. People like me prefer saying "Mark 3" Whereas people like Colton prefer to say it phonetically, "Emm Kay 3". So in truth, both are proper depending on how you like to say it!

I also just like to call it 3rd gen, MA70, or call it by the year.

On-topic, I don't care what anyone says about my car (seriously, you can smack talk it all you want and I won't care) and I've even encountered a few people whom feel it necessary to purposefully exclude my car from their conversations. I mostly find it entertaining, although it's kinda sad they feel so strongly against my engine choice. I just like cruising around in it and feeling the acceleration it can achieve. I don't need to race and beat everyone and their brother to justify the money I've spent on the car (although it's fun to run 'em at the track, like at Powercruise)

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
toyotanos;1954656 said:
Depends on how you pronounce MK3. People like me prefer saying "Mark 3" Whereas people like Colton prefer to say it phonetically, "Emm Kay 3". So in truth, both are proper depending on how you like to say it!

I also just like to call it 3rd gen, MA70, or call it by the year.

On-topic, I don't care what anyone says about my car (seriously, you can smack talk it all you want and I won't care) and I've even encountered a few people whom feel it necessary to purposefully exclude my car from their conversations. I mostly find it entertaining, although it's kinda sad they feel so strongly against my engine choice. I just like cruising around in it and feeling the acceleration it can achieve. I don't need to race and beat everyone and their brother to justify the money I've spent on the car (although it's fun to run 'em at the track, like at Powercruise)

let this be final
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-Word-An

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
Got a 94 MR2 Turbo and a Mkiii Supra. To be honest, I really like my Mkiii better. It's the non spoken favorite. Got a buddy with a 94 TT Supra. He gets hassled all the time by ricers. Especially since he's thrown on a Stillen shopping cart spoiler with uber sick carbon fiber center blade... I like that I can fly under the radar in my Mkiii. Honestly, through my eyes, the Mkiii Supra has way better lines than the whale shark looking Mkiv. Hey, it's all down to preference.

I guess to answer the original question, I just say tell 'em that my car is hella jaydeem'ing and the 2jayZee Supra's are like sooo last year mang.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
IMHO, fuck a IV. To me it's an expensive marshmallow that would lop off a limb every month I'd have to pay insurance or personal property tax on.

I want... WANT, mind you all...... an MKII to go with my MKIII. A 1JZ turbo-swapped, angular-flowing, Terra-cotta Red 2-tone, digital-dashed, Celica-dragon-sexy-beast of a 2nd-gen to accompany my sleek, stealth-colored, 2JZ-heart-beating beast of a 3rd-gen.

A match made in heaven.... or hell, depending on who you ask. :naughty:

Dyzzyman

May 7, 2011
Arizona
I've nodded and caressed the window trim or wing and stated it's an older Supra. Such comments like that demonstrate a little of their car enthusiast immaturity.

I don't know what the proper saying would be, as the closest translation I could come up with is "every madman with his madness".

Off Topic Tangent:

suprajztwenty;1954660 said:

Using "an": AN is used only before nouns that begin with a vowel sound or an unspoken (silent) H.

Heh, interesting, I wondered why Letter/Letter/Number sounded natural when using "an" when saying "an MK3" Guess it's in the vowel sound not just the spelling.

I found this vowel/consonant sounding list for a/an. http://www.gpuss.co.uk/english_usage/a_or_an.htm

vowel-sounding letters (take "an"):A E F H I L M N O R S X

consonant-sounding letters (take "a"):B C D G J K P Q T U V W Y Z

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
LunaVyohr;1954750 said:
Jesus christ, people, it's a 26 year old car that nobody cares about anymore. Get over it, drive it, and stop jerking off to it.

Lulz, mine is 24. :p

But in all seriousness.... +1

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
And a 69 camaro is a 44 year old car...definitely doesn't mean that people stopped caring about it by no means. What one vehicle means as far as nostalgia is concerned to one person may be something different for someone else. That's really not the point however. The real takeaway is, its your money, you spent it getting what you wanted. Other people can tell you what they want you to drive once they start forking over the checks. So my response..."Because your broke ass didn't pay for it."

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
Backlash2032;1954755 said:
$20 says when the 69 camaro turned 20-25 it wasn't as big as it was new. :p

Actually, 25 years would put the 69 camaro at 1994 and it was a most definitely a fuck huge deal by then (especially the 69 z/28 dz302 car). As a matter of fact early second gen camaros (70-73) were quite a bit desirable.

Just sayin.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Like my 1964 Impala SS. Its 49 this year and 20+ years ago there's no way it was going to fetch the money that it will now. Time will tell all.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
T3rril79;1954760 said:
Actually, 25 years would put the 69 camaro at 1994 and it was a most definitely a fuck huge deal by then (especially the 69 z/28 dz302 car). As a material of fact early second gen camaros (70-73) were quite a bit desirable.

Just sayin.

You get what I'm saying though. I would imagine almost all cars (minus super exotics) have an upside down bell curve in terms of popularity. Popular when they first come out, then less popular, then more popular 30 years down the road.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Pyro15D;1954763 said:
Well, I would agree to that partly. I doubt there will ever be a kia that will do anything but lose value.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Those can hardly even be considered cars haha. But they did slip my mind.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
Backlash2032;1954762 said:
You get what I'm saying though. I would imagine almost all cars (minus super exotics) have an upside down bell curve in terms of popularity. Popular when they first come out, then less popular, then more popular 30 years down the road.

Oh yeah I follow you now. I misunderstood the first pass through :p. To be honest I see the average prices of these cars going up every year seems like. As long as most people start building their cars right and making them presentable we will see an upward trend in the future.