If you're an mk3 owner: How do you respond when someone says, "It's just not a mk4"

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
T3rril79;1954765 said:
Oh yeah I follow you now. I misunderstood the first pass through :p. To be honest I see the average prices of these cars going up every year seems like. As long as most people start building their cars right and making them presentable we will see an upward trend in the future.

Most people never understand me first time through. I'm almost as bad at explaining things as nashman is at spelling things. Haha

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
toyotanos;1954656 said:
Depends on how you pronounce MK3. People like me prefer saying "Mark 3" Whereas people like Colton prefer to say it phonetically, "Emm Kay 3". So in truth, both are proper depending on how you like to say it!

No no no no no. No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_(designation)

It's NEVER "emm kay."

LunaVyohr;1954750 said:
Jesus christ, people, it's a 26 year old car that nobody cares about anymore. Get over it, drive it, and stop jerking off to it.

If that was the case, this forum wouldn't exist...

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Ya, there's a couple local guys who says it the emm kay way. It's mildly grating, but whatevs. Better than Probe or Thunderbird...I guess

My, my this thread has drifted off course. heh

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
MkIII FTW;1954777 said:
How on earth did it get from responses to the pronunciation?

Backlash2032;1954778 said:
Some guy said it wasn't an Mk3 lol

Oops, my bad. Pro thread derailer reporting.

I like my car, and I feel like most of the people here like their cars too. Heck, I even like other people's cars.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
If I'm with my car I've actually never had anyone ask me why i didn't get a 4.

When I'm not with my car I usually say its a twin turbo 6 speed just to avoid the question at all. Let the ricers dream. If I could figure out my wiring issues I could dust a stock or lightly modded twin turbo six speed 4 anyway lol

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I hear the same comments as well everyone says the MK3 is trash and lives in the shadow of the MK4 blah blah. I would hope a newer version of my car is better since it would have newer and better technology in it, so of course an MK4 is better but I think the MK3 looks better than an MK4 it just has that classic sport coupe profile and when you see a nice MK3 driving down the road you can't help but stare at it. As mentioned before the people who appreciate the MK3 are the real car enthusiast it's very rare that I get compliments from younger people who are in the 240 crowd and such. One night I was going to a car meet with some friends and we met up with some people at a place before we went to the meet and when I was rolling by the main crowd to find a parking spot everyone's head turned and stared and my car is stock with some light-ish cosmetic damage and yet it turns heads. Of course, some of them say you should put a 2jz in it blah blah. Some people were crowding the car closely and loving it and that feels good. I've also parked my car at a local car meet here in Houston called Cars and Coffee where there is a HUGE mix of high end sports cars, Lambos, Ferraris, Mclarens, classic muscle cars, GTRs, etc. and I parked my car next to a clean MK4 Supra and I sat across the row with some friends and I watched my car, with the targa off, attract more attention than a nicely modded Mk4. Once again those kinds of meets are where real enthusiasts come together. Also as mentioned before I ignore the comments that an Mk4 is better and like I said I would hope a newer car is better if it's not then it's a piece of crap. I am still amazed at how much tech my MK3 has compared to new cars, fully adjustable seats, active suspension, fully adjustable steering wheel, and nice quality interior pieces not that cheap plastic crap you find in chocolate boxes. The MK3 may not be as good as an MK4 and live in the shadow but I think it's better because of that it isn't held up on a pedestal it's understated and underestimated and when one of these wolves sheep's clothing tears the other person a new asshole they are blown away.

I had an 88 targa NA auto MK3 back when I was 16/17 it had a bad rod knock and killed the motor when the piston shot through the block, bought another 7m and put it in and loved that car it had bald rear tires and would drift in the rain if I drove 25-30mph turning in an intersection or anywhere and it was so easy to control and fun. One night on the highway it overheated and cracked the head, BHG I am sure but was not aware of at the time, and a tow truck took the car away while I waited for my brother to pick me up. Man years later and I started missing that car more and more then last year my friend knew a mutual friend who was selling his 91 targa turbo 5 spd pearl white MK3 and I instantly jumped on it. It had a BHG at the time but it wasn't terrible so I was able to drive her home then I spent an entire summer tearing the motor down, replacing gaskets and bolts, ARP head studs and a new head gasket and she still drives strong today and there is not a second that goes by where I regret buying her. Everyone tells me to not daily the car but I can't not daily it because I love it too much to let her sit and not be shown to the world and enjoyed. I am so happy to daily drive her and have never driven a more comfortable car.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
28114367.jpg

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
Op doesn't seem to mind. It's nice to have a chit-chat thread.

I guess I'm lucky in the fact that there are a whopping 3 MK4's in my area, that I know of. 6 MK3's including mine, and a handful of mk2's. Just really rare around here.

One MK3 is absolutely mint. Red turbo targa auto. Drooled all over it for a good 30 minutes at the rod and customs show over fathers day weekend. Had less than 50,000 miles on it.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
when i had my first mk3 i had it for about a year and started doing roofing with my dad. one customer had another one just like my 86.5, they had the 87 non turbo auto...but they were an older couple and couldnt shutup about the car after my dad had told em i have the exact same car (different interiors and i think theyres was a targa) they even had the original supra brochure and let me borrow it! my dad had it copied at kinkos but the quality wasnt worth keeping it at the time and i trashed it, wish i kept it now.

they even offered to let me drive theirs around for a day or 2 (because mine was still broken at the time) it was that kind of hospitality that welcomed me into mk3 ownership (even though at the time i didnt know id get rid of that hardtop n/a and end up with the one i wanted later on in life)

id be happy with my car even if left completely stock, the targa is my favorite feature...with it off i get as many headturns as i do on my bike and its a clean ass bike.

i really dont get many comments, called a probe once and ignored the guy. generally i get positive comments or an oldschool guy that knew a guy that knew a guy kinda story or guys that owned 280's/fc's etc.. of the era. the only question i hate is whats all done to it...even though its not at a level near most people here my list is too long to talk about.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I still have the original factory window sticker for my car with the options list and price also a copy of the magazine article reviewing the car.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
i did buy one mag with a 90 mk3 feature, cant remember the brand but it was cool...talked about how our cars were extremely advanced for back in the day.

even for todays tech our cars arent bad equipped and when people hear electric controlled shocks or auto climate control and then top it off with power seat and theyre just amazed. granted we have engine problems (this isnt a 7m vs jz comment as imo both have weaknesses if not built/maint properly)

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I think the only real weak point of the Mk3 were the under torqued head bolts, other than that I don't know of any other factory defects. However, the suspension geometry may be one from what I have read lol.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
any part that can be abused will break though...any car, no matter what. imo a large factor in a quality car is the stuff that cant get abused and how long THOSE parts last, obviously with age anything will break but i dont think ive had a single interior component go out on its own...maybe the worn out ignition tumblers. whereas some cars are just shit, window motor failures, power lock actuators etc going out normally every few years, fuck that...i love my car