If you're an mk3 owner: How do you respond when someone says, "It's just not a mk4"

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
Just had one of these comments. "Your race car looks like shit bro" I just stared at him for a second then said "yeah about as bad as your truck" and left lol. Too early in the morning for that.

Last edited:

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
This morning I went to Shell to get some gas and I stopped at a pump right next to a cop who was sitting in his car doing something on his laptop and I went inside to get some Yoohoo and pay for gas. I came back out and I see the cop taking a picture of my car and I casually walk up to him and say hello and he asked if I mind he took pics of my car; of course, I said not at all and he told me about how he used to have one as a kid that he got from his dad that was also pearl white with blue interior targa top turbo. Never let a cop sit in my car before I did let an old guy sit in my car before though and it literally brought tears to his eyes. Amazing what something as simple as a car can do.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
Kinda interesting to hear about so many people giving MKIII owners a hassle. I pretty much get love from everyone who sees my Supra.

I've had close to a dozen people tell me they want to buy it. (and I think at least half of them were actually serious).

Seeing a nice MKIII just randomly driving around is extremely rare, even with me being in super popluated SoCal.

Often I'll go months without seeing a single one. Probably the majority of them are in the junkyard by now.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
VegaSupra;1955436 said:
Kinda interesting to hear about so many people giving MKIII owners a hassle. I pretty much get love from everyone who sees my Supra.

I do to for the most part, I think in reality most "normal" people appreciate our cars for what they are. They are just used to the hype of the MKIV. It's the morons of the world who have no idea apart from a movie that ask stupid questions/say asinine things. I once had a kid (I use that term loosely, he was like 22) ask me if my car was the newest model Supra. When I gave him a history lesson, he proceeded to tell me all about how the MKIV was "so much better". Let them dream, ignorance is their bliss. Real car people will appreciate what they see for what it is

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
I was mostly puzzled by him calling a stock n/a MK3 a racecar... I know it looks bad because it's a W.I.P that I am in a position to be driving daily.

Last edited:

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
I was hanging with old friends and they're friends Thursday night, I started talking to my buddy who has a turbo buick and he asks why people do 1.5jzs, I say either for ease of wiring or the person believes the 1j head flows better.

at that time a kid I don't know barged in and said 2jzs are way better in every way, I countered with my best option and said 1jzs are more reliable, their piston speed is lower at 7200 rpm than a 2jz at 6800 rpm, he says no, shaking his head.

Even my buddy was fed up and hates these supra fanboys and says take him for a ride Zach.

His eyes get big and I said come on as I turn towards my car, he's quiet all the way to the long quiet road, I slow down to 5 mph and say here we go, I punch it, turbo spooled good on this cool night, hit rev limiter and wot shift, I spin all the way thru second, again bounce off the limiter and wot shift into third, I watch the needle climb to 7200 again and wot shift one more time. Get a little in fourth and let off, as I look over he's grabbed onto the seat and the door handle.

I ask if he respects the 1j now? and he says yes very tense and quick. As were almost back to the house he tells me this car is insane, fastest one he's been in hands down. I reply, it's okay, itll be tuned for 30 psi soon.

End of story time.

Ps, tranny whined on the way home, good thing I planned on taking it out soon anyway.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

jseriesmkii

BoostMonger;1955461 said:
I was hanging with old friends and they're friends Thursday night, I started talking to my buddy who has a turbo buick and he asks why people do 1.5jzs, I say either for ease of wiring or the person believes the 1j head flows better.

at that time a kid I don't know barged in and said 2jzs are way better in every way, I countered with my best option and said 1jzs are more reliable, their piston speed is lower at 7200 rpm than a 2jz at 6800 rpm, he says no, shaking his head.

Even my buddy was fed up and hates these supra fanboys and says take him for a ride Zach.

His eyes get big and I said come on as I turn towards my car, he's quiet all the way to the long quiet road, I slow down to 5 mph and say here we go, I punch it, turbo spooled good on this cool night, hit rev limiter and wot shift, I spin all the way thru second, again bounce off the limiter and wot shift into third, I watch the needle climb to 7200 again and wot shift one more time. Get a little in fourth and let off, as I look over he's grabbed onto the seat and the door handle.

I ask if he respects the 1j now? and he says yes very tense and quick. As were almost back to the house he tells me this car is insane, fastest one he's been in hands down. I reply, it's okay, itll be tuned for 30 psi soon.

End of story time.

Ps, tranny whined on the way home, good thing I planned on taking it out soon anyway.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

love it. lol. makes me wanna rush my build but i wanna do it right :( lol

mk3supralove

Sep 14, 2012
Kelowna
A buddy of mine from work last summer asked me what car I had and I said supra and he said "Dude that's sick! The one from Fast and furious right?" I said no it's a mk3 then he's like aww that's to bad, should of gotten the one from fandf, I literally got up and walked away (we were on break).