If you're an mk3 owner: How do you respond when someone says, "It's just not a mk4"

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
I was in my MR2 the other day at a gas station. A kid in an rx8 pulls up behind me. We start talking and he says, "man, that MR2 is awesome. I'm a huge toyota fan! I love the supra's as well!"

I say, "Oh nice, I have a supra too"

The guy's mouth drops, " you have an MR2 and a Supra? That's like my dream combo! What year is the supra?"

I'm feeling pretty good, this coming from a mazda guy. I say, "it's an 89, it was my first love."

His expression suddenly turns to puzzlement. "Why do you have an mk3 when an mk4 is better? I don't know man, why would you dump all that money into an mk3 when you could have bought an mk4 instead?"

My response, "because I wanted to?..."

So I ask you guys and girls out there, what do you say when this happens? I get this like 75% of the time when I run into someone either with my supra, or I'm talking with a guy and mention that I have one. It's true that I could have bought an mk4 by now with how much I have in my mk3, but I just don't want an mk4. After 8 years of owning a mk3 supra, I'm starting to get annoyed by these comments.

Common comments are, "it will never be a mk4" (which I respond as, no...it won't...duh?); "an mk4 would destroy the mk3; an mk4 is better; oh...? an mk3....I've always wanted an mk4; the only real supra is a mk4 supra; nice celica/probe/240...where's the supra?; did they make a supra before 93? (I think this guy was serious btw); if you wanted power, you shoulda gone 2jz; It's nice, but it's just not an mk4; when I think of supra, I don't think of that"

My brother has a 94 Supra. It's really awesome and fun to drive, but I'd rather drive my MR2 because it performs better. I like the looks of the mk3 supra better. Why don't mk3 supras light up the room/road like a mk4 supra? Especially when a mk3 is in really pristine condition (which mine is pretty close to) and is just as fast as my brother's and many other mk4 supras. I totally respect and love the jza80, and am a Toyota sports car enthusiast, but I find this disappointing.

Do you guys and girls feel annoyed? How do you respond to these situations? What do you do? Do you ever find yourself wishing it was an mk4 just to get respect? What are your thoughts and experiences?

Last edited:

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
jetjock;1954267 said:
That's a nice car you have there. I would enjoy it and not give a rodent's rectum what other people think.

+1

Other actual car enthusiasts like it for what it is. Ricers, haters, and idiots are the ones who are 2JZ/MK4 this that and the other. I can't tell you how many different lines I've heard in the years I've had it. Even one time from some idiot in a 90's Corolla at a stop light 'man that sounds good, is it a 2j?' and when I said 7M I got the usual 'you should really put a 2j in there...'. So I let him have it when the light turned. He ended up doing a u turn by the time I hit 3rd.

The only thing that matters to me is that I have a smile on my face when I'm driving it or looking at it. The occasional thumbs up from an FC or Starion is always nice though. Other late 80's/early 90's Japanese car owners seem to be the nicest about it 'just' being a MKIII.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
mkiii222;1954269 said:
+1

The only thing that matters to me is that I have a smile on my face when I'm driving it or looking at it. The occasional thumbs up from an FC or Starion is always nice though. Other late 80's/early 90's Japanese car owners seem to be the nicest about it 'just' being a MKIII.

I find this to be the truth as well. I came across a guy at another gas station the other day. He said, "man I love those cars." I'm a diehard 80's jdm guy. Then he lifted up his sleeve and he had ae86 and an FC tatooed on his arm. I was impressed.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I always just downplay my car too far in the other direction. "It's just an old slow piece of junk." etc. etc. (Even though it's actually pretty nice.)

People have a hard time insulting your car when you've already insulted it more.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
I'll put it like this and most people can say what they will about my next comment. I bought my Mk3 by choice, I have the funds to more than afford an Mk4,but I actually preferred the Mk3. That's right I said it. People forget this little thing called an oppinion and a choice. With that being said, I'm going to stand behind all of my Supras and couldn't care less what people think. If they have an oppinion about my car then that's just what it is, an oppinion. At the end of the day I'm still happy with my car and haven't regretted buying it one day. It's been 3 years since I've started working on it and it's been a hell of a 3 years, but well worth it to me. If someone ask you that, tell them because that's what you wanted. I get enough comments from nice people who respect and love my car and where its come from to greatly outway the Mk4 cock suckers anyday....Simply put, It's my car and I love it. That's good enough for me.

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
Who gives a flying fuck? Pretty sure if they didn't watch F&F, they probably wouldn't know what a Supra is even if you pointed one out.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
MadRPM;1954287 said:
Who gives a flying fuck? Pretty sure if they didn't watch F&F, they probably wouldn't know what a Supra is even if you pointed one out.

^ true story!! I don't let the morons get to me. If you don't like what I have too bad. I sure as hell am not willing to sell it on account of some asshole who likes a stupid ricer movie.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
The last time someone made that sort of remark toward me, I simply asked "do you own one?" with the returned answer of "hell no I can't afford that shit!" Give the response of "then shut the f**k up your opinion is invalid" and walk away.

Works really well they usually get the look of bewilderment on their face.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Everyone freaks out when I say I got a supra, they ask the same thing. Why not get the twin turbo mk4?

Because I didn't want to. I wanted to be different and not do the whole FnF scene such as everyone else as done. I don't want a rx7 or a civic, nor do I want a mustang or a overrated nissan. Everyone I talk to about my car thinks it's a rocket because I ran "17 PSI" so I must be making 1000 horsepower. Idiots don't realize that PSI is just a measure of resistance to flow. They think because they've seen shit on youtube about supras running 20 PSI and 900 horsepower that the size of the turbo is not a variable.

Besides, I prefer the look of the mk3 to an mk4. It just has a much more aggressive look to me.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
try something like this;

"look kid, you are clearly not old enough to remember, but the 80's>90's."

the 80's gave us knight rider
the 90's gave us will smith...

asthetically, one is stylistically complicated, and the other looks like a rotund jelly bean...

personal preference,

or I might say, "this here 1987, will never need smog cert (e-test), everything after it, does ever 2 years."

in my city, there are far too many butchered-coat-hanger-abortion MK4's for that argument to hold water....

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
My experience with the Supra has been somewhat different. A group of us went down to Boise for Import Summer Jam at Firebird Raceway. It seemed like everytime a Supra showed up, you would hear murmurs through the crowd of people saying "Supra" or "Oh sweet, a Supra!" People can hate on it all they want, but it still seems to attract some positive attention.

toyMKIII

cars and guitars
Jun 20, 2012
Philadelphia

+1

Yeah, I've had my 87 for just over a year and this is already annoying. I don't really let it bother me though, I'm happy as can be

toyMKIII

cars and guitars
Jun 20, 2012
Philadelphia
The one that did get under my skin though was some hick in a jacked up and rusty old ford ranger. All the knowledge he had for his judgement was "that'd be way better if you had the one from fast and furious"

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
The Mk4 is only popular since it was the main car in The Fast and The Furious. I always tell people; "I could build an MK3 that is twice as fast as an MK4 for half the money. Not to mention the MK3 is better looking and its image is less polluted by ricer wannabes that think they know about cars since they can quote FnF". "Not double clutchin like you should"...uhhh double clutch...in a drag race?? C'MON Dom!!!

The "is it a twin turbo" comments, I shake my head and say, "you really don’t know much about cars do you? Single>Twin brah"

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
Being an engineer, I love to get into the technical over design of the cars. A lot of people forget that the mk3 was not designed to be a racecar rocket mobile. It is a classy heavy gt cruise, with a great luxurious interior. If you read the car & driver or motor trend report of the area, they were all blown away at the interior amenities.

On the other tokken, the mk4 was design to be the go face, all out performance revision (the design intent changed). All of this said, I would tell all of those people to basically they are not comparable so calm down and STFU. Myself personally, I prefer the gt cruiser styling.