If you're an mk3 owner: How do you respond when someone says, "It's just not a mk4"

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Shane;1954996 said:
You could have just said nothing if you had nothing constructive to say.
And I "could" make your time here short and a misery If I felt like it....

I had an opinion I expressed it why do you feel a need to "instruct" me on what I can and can't post...

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Doat;1954987 said:
Yea I got the original key and one other key that doesn't open the trunk or anything else like that. What is a key number plate?

Nice! I was lucky, the Toyota dealer here had 3 blanks from the 80's era. So I have a nice new key that matches the period!

The plate was a small rectangular plate that was punched to go on a key ring and was about 5mm wide and maybe 2cm long. It has a 4 (maybe 5?) digit code engraved on it that can be used to make a new key for your car. The idea is that you kept this somewhere safe and then a key could be made at a Toyota dealership if you lost all of your normal ones.

The down side is that this number can be looked up by a Toyota dealer by using your VIN. So it is possible that someone could grab your VIN and get a key made for your car that way. (Most dealers are good about requesting a title first, but I know people who cover the VIN up on their dash out of concern.)

The other funny thing is that the same lock cylinders show up on multiple cars. I think a Camry and Corolla have the same key set as my car :p

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
loc182;1955001 said:
Nice! I was lucky, the Toyota dealer here had 3 blanks from the 80's era. So I have a nice new key that matches the period!

The plate was a small rectangular plate that was punched to go on a key ring and was about 5mm wide and maybe 2cm long. It has a 4 (maybe 5?) digit code engraved on it that can be used to make a new key for your car. The idea is that you kept this somewhere safe and then a key could be made at a Toyota dealership if you lost all of your normal ones.

The down side is that this number can be looked up by a Toyota dealer by using your VIN. So it is possible that someone could grab your VIN and get a key made for your car that way. (Most dealers are good about requesting a title first, but I know people who cover the VIN up on their dash out of concern.)

The other funny thing is that the same lock cylinders show up on multiple cars. I think a Camry and Corolla have the same key set as my car :p
Ah yea mine didn't have the key plate I just have a regular key that opens everything and another key that has a cover on it that opens the doors and starts the car I also have an extra set of each that I hide in my room. I remember when I had my 88 mk3 I still had set of keys when it got towed due to a BHG on the highway, I locked the keys in my 89 accord in the car and I remembered the keys looked very similar to my 88 mk3 keys so I tried it and sure enough it opened the door and I think it even started the car lol.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
IJ.;1954957 said:
Wow 16 pages of insecurity and justification... why do you guys care so much what someone else thinks... :nono:

It's just a car

honestly i think this turned into more of a "how many reasons i love my mk3" thread. i dig it so far anyways...

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
suprajztwenty;1955011 said:
honestly i think this turned into more of a "how many reasons i love my mk3" thread. i dig it so far anyways...

Definitely! Should we make a sticky; why I love my mk3?

This thread is now a pick-me-up. I love the supramania community.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
It's simple.

Don't over-analyze it and the moment some pooptard starts talking about how great the MKIV is over yours, tell him to pound sand and leave.
I dealt with this (and was annoyed by it) for the first couple years of having mine... but I eventually got to the point (after being around all breeds of Supra's from different regional meets/clubs)...
That it doesn't matter if it's an 82, 89 or 97. A Supra is a Supra is a Supra. Period.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
I say that mk3s are sexi!

The mk4 is a good looking car.

This picture demonstrate the mk3 sexiness: slim and well defined.

lydenthomas.com*wp-content*uploads*2011*11*wallz.jpg

Last edited:

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Doat;1955002 said:
...I locked the keys in my 89 accord in the car and I remembered the keys looked very similar to my 88 mk3 keys so I tried it and sure enough it opened the door and I think it even started the car lol.

Oh wow, cross companies! That is kind of scary, I could imagine people just going through parking lots with keys hoping to get lucky :(

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
loc182;1955001 said:

About two or three years ago I went to the Toyota dealer with my VIN to see if they could cut me an exact key for my car, but the guy there said they can't pull it up for anything pre 1990 (I think that's what he said, I can't remember exactly). He said the only way to get the exact key code (without the little plate) for my 87 Supra is to take the passenger door apart and look on the passenger side door lock cylinder. Apparently Toyota put the key code there when they made the cars.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
loc182;1955092 said:
Oh wow, cross companies! That is kind of scary, I could imagine people just going through parking lots with keys hoping to get lucky :(

He was able to use the accord key on the Supra because the lock is worn out.

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Silver MK3;1955098 said:
About two or three years ago I went to the Toyota dealer with my VIN to see if they could cut me an exact key for my car, but the guy there said they can't pull it up for anything pre 1990 (I think that's what he said, I can't remember exactly). He said the only way to get the exact key code (without the little plate) for my 87 Supra is to take the passenger door apart and look on the passenger side door lock cylinder. Apparently Toyota put the key code there when they made the cars.

Ah, you are correct, I forgot about that.

But that was disappointing the Toyota guy didn't get your number. I had mine done on 11/06/2010. And like a fool I forgot to ask the guy for the number :( He was pretty cool though, he did a test on one of their "cheap" keys and just let me have it since it worked.

It was 13.13 after tax for the proper Toyota key. Not a bad deal since I got the extra.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
rodel;1955110 said:
He was able to use the accord key on the Supra because the lock is worn out.
Actually it was the other way around I used the Supra's key in the accord lol but I don't think the lock was worn that badly on my accord, at least it didn't feel like it was.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
loc182;1955165 said:
Ah, you are correct, I forgot about that.

But that was disappointing the Toyota guy didn't get your number. I had mine done on 11/06/2010. And like a fool I forgot to ask the guy for the number :( He was pretty cool though, he did a test on one of their "cheap" keys and just let me have it since it worked.

It was 13.13 after tax for the proper Toyota key. Not a bad deal since I got the extra.

Yeah, I just had the original key copied onto another Toyota key. If I ever really wanted to I can always take the door apart and get it.

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
haha yeah thats funny. someone asks you what u drive - i say a turbo supra... they're like - Wowwww awesome, what year? i say '90..... then they ask - is that the angular one? im like yes... and they're like - (disapointed) oh.....

funny every time but hurts a bit tho that they dont appriciate awesome car...

what i answer? - when was the last time u saw one and have u ever been in one? because Supras are very rare here in Latvia.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I get that too they are like oh it's not an MK4 but it's nice when people appreciate the MK3 I don't hear about any MK4 owners rejecting people left and right who are trying to buy their car like I do.

tysen

Jan 20, 2012
muskoka
I don't understand the mk3 hate. Isn't it the father to the mk4??
People can hate all they want. Every time I get in my jza70 puts a huge smile on my face, that's all that matters.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Last time someone hated on my car for being a MKIII (that wasn't a MKIV owner, but that's another issue), I took them for a ride.

They usually change their story very quickly :)