If you're an mk3 owner: How do you respond when someone says, "It's just not a mk4"

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
I love MKIV Supras. Gonna own one someday, but the MKIII is a very underappreciated gem. It was way ahead of its time. My 91T still feels relevant and awesome 23 years after production. Granted it only has 73K miles, but still, the look of the MKIII is classy and well sculpted. The MKIV is a different beast altogether, and feels more "mainstream" and gawky. (though admittedly, I still love 'em)

I am constantly receiving compliments and inquiries on my Supra. And if anyone who ever really knew what they were talking about trash talks mine vs the MKIV, I would either just shrug it off, or if I'm feelin a little frisky, I might hand them their ass.

Besides, in addition to the svelte and sleek stance of a MK3, I believe that an easy breathing 7M ranks as one of the best sounding and incredibly fierce beasts of any car I've ever heard. All I have is an intake and a straight 3 inch exhaust turbo back. Nothing else. And it sounds like a 700 hp monster in every gear.

Own your Supra. Don't let it own you. :cool:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've had this conversation quite a few times.

You like the Mk4? Seriously? That's a girl car. It looks like someone carved a model out of butter, then microwaved it for a minute. If I wanted to drive a car that looked melted, I'd buy a Probe... or a 4th gen Mustang.

Personally, my favorite is the Mk2, the model prior. It has perfect timeless lines, hard edges, and it weighs 1000 pounds less. I've owned 7 of them, but when I just couldn't find one in good enough shape to serve as a daily driver, I bought a Mk3.

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
Most of the people that say stuff like that drive Honda's so their opinion doesn't count. It's the MKIV driver that waves or flashes when you pass eachother, or the 240's Miata's MR2's Starion's Corolla's - All of the real enthusiasts. They are the ones whose opinions matter, because they know what the MKIII is and what it represents, they know WHY you would rather drive you 25 year-old car than some new crap. I have a 2003 Kia and a 1997 VW, I just automatically jump in the Supra when I want to go somewhere.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
GrimJack;1954335 said:
I've had this conversation quite a few times.

You like the Mk4? Seriously? That's a girl car. It looks like someone carved a model out of butter, then microwaved it for a minute. If I wanted to drive a car that looked melted, I'd buy a Probe... or a 4th gen Mustang.

Personally, my favorite is the Mk2, the model prior. It has perfect timeless lines, hard edges, and it weighs 1000 pounds less. I've owned 7 of them, but when I just couldn't find one in good enough shape to serve as a daily driver, I bought a Mk3.

No. I LOVE the MK4. Didn't used to. Back in '98 when I bought my first 91T, I had zero interest in the MK4.

In fact, it took a few years for me to warm up to them. But by now, I'd have already bought one if I could afford it.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
I was talking to an older gentleman yesterday actually...Well older than me(about 50). I mentioned that I owned a supra and the first thing he asked was "What year?! I hope it isn't the last what they built" "Its doesn't look as nice and I don't care for them." I told him it was the Mk3 and he just asked me a bunch of questions about it and he told me that he remembered wanting one when they first came out. I was kinda surprised that he would bash Mk4 like that maybe because we are all use to seeing it personify this god complex and an attitude of "all hail the Mk4" ....so sad. This is an interesting thread, it makes me happy to see members that appreciate these cars not just for an image.

BTW GrimJack: I just got a lead on an Mk2 in my area I'm going to check out, supposedly a single owner car and its been sitting for a while. If its in good shape its as good as mine. It should be a nice addition to the collection I've started ;)

White Zombie

Feb 1, 2007
Hampton , VA
I agree with Moy . The last time someone said stupid shit about my Mk3 . I asked him if he owned one or ever Drove one. He said "no". So I said STFU .
I especially love it when they ask if my motor is a 2j (which it isn't ) and I tell em yes anyway . Lol

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
mkiii222;1954269 said:
+1

The only thing that matters to me is that I have a smile on my face when I'm driving it or looking at it. The occasional thumbs up from an FC or Starion is always nice though. Other late 80's/early 90's Japanese car owners seem to be the nicest about it 'just' being a MKIII.

^^^^this exactly!
theres a few of us old school guys around my town. its a respect thing, they know what kind of bargain old school is vs new and the experience it gives you from all the worn out parts... imo its better than paying for an automotive college education. someone said before, "mk3 supras, turning men into mechanics since 86.5"

since my first mk3 12 years ago and stripping out the thrown rod ge engine and going through everything to get it ready for a swap (in the end to sell it for scrap). my first supra was the best education i could have asked for, besides autotech in highschool...because of that ive been a diesel tech for the past 8 years now so i almost feel i owe my career to the mk3.

Last edited:

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
There is a little market down the road from me, the owner used to own a supra just like mine back when they were new. We've chatted about Supra's from time to time, and we exchange stories. I catch him staring at it longingly sometimes. Maybe I'll toss him the key some day and let him take it for a spin. Just afraid it will never come back. But that's ok, I'll take his E92 BMW, sell it and buy a couple more supra's lol.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Thanks for all the responses. Glad to see I'm not the only one annoyed. The comments mostly stem from ignorance, and we have to take that for what it is. There is nothing more satisfying than getting a random thumbs up from a car guy; some mk4 guys; and its great in the sense that my 4xxwhp supra is a total sleeper putting all the modern day muscle cars of NH to shame. I'll never go mk4, not only because I like the mk3 better, but also out of principle; for all the reasons stated by everyone in this thread.

I've been to a few car shows with both the supra and MR2, many that are loaded with gtr's, mk4 Supras, and muscle cars, and it's often that I'm the only guy there who has an mk3 or MR2, and I attract as much, or even more attention because they are rare to see at a show. Feels good.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
VegaSupra;1954344 said:
No. I LOVE the MK4. Didn't used to. Back in '98 when I bought my first 91T, I had zero interest in the MK4.

In fact, it took a few years for me to warm up to them. But by now, I'd have already bought one if I could afford it.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even when they are wrong. ;)

I could afford to buy one. Actually, I could afford to buy several, although I don't know where I'd keep them.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
A lot of mkiii owners down play the mkiv. I would say 95% of us would jump at the chance to own a mkiv. But we don't have one so we act like what we have is what would have choose given the chance. Lets be honest.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
S.A. supra;1954381 said:
A lot of mkiii owners down play the mkiv. I would say 95% of us would jump at the chance to own a mkiv. But we don't have one so we act like what we have is what would have choose given the chance. Lets be honest.

Oh boy...this should be interesting...

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
S.A. supra;1954381 said:

This is pretty true I think. The MKIV is better in pretty much every objective way...except no telescoping steering wheel? Fuck that.

Also,
Going a little off topic here, but to the OP: It's A MKIII, NOT AN MKIII

Aku

And The Boost Goes On
Feb 24, 2010
Irvine, CA
The reactions I get to my III have been for the most part positive, it is however heavily changed aesthetically. I do get the occasional mistaken identity comment, but luckily it's been for cars around the same class or higher of the same time period. I find a lot of comments & reactions vary geographically when chatting with other Supra friends from around the world. When it comes to the whole "it's not a MKIV" situation I could care less.

- The IV was the successor to the Supra line so if it wasn't better as a car I think Toyota would have a big problem on their hands so no surprise there.
- I could have purchased a MKIV from the get go but was raised around a MKIII primarily.
- The only person I keep my car going for is myself, if anyone else likes it that's just a bonus.

With that said I have found myself in some funny situations. One night I was cruising along with a buddy in his MKIV and myself in my III, we stopped to get gas. As soon as I get out some random guy on the other side of the pump says something along the lines of "Hey! Nice RX7 man!" *thumbs up* I just said thanks and continued pumping. My buddy on the other hand felt the need to educate the young man in Supra history LOL. I told him to just let it go, besides I think RX7's are cool cars anyway:biggrinbo. He asked me how often that happens, I told him all the time then he shook his head in disbelief. The III as a whole has developed a small cult following in my local area, as the years go by I have seen interest go up. It's nice to see that coming into existence on it's own without the aid of an anime, car movie, major released media etc.

emiliorescigno;1954387 said:
Also,
Going a little off topic here, but to the OP: It's A MKIII, NOT AN MKIII
:bigthumb:Finally, someone else that sees the light. lol

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
S.A. supra;1954381 said:

Of course, but it just doesn't have the charisma. I've got a car club buddy who has a 96 mk4 tt 6spd, he was all over my car the first time he saw it. Comments like "so that's where that came from" and "so is the 7m the same as my 2j?"

Truth be told I would take an RX8 or a BRZ before a MKIV Supra.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
S.A. supra;1954381 said:

Ok I don't aspire to own a MK4 so I'm in the 5%. Yes I've driven one, a 450whp Single MK4, other than the fact its newer I couldn't see what the fuss was all about. The hype surrounding the car killed it for me because as you might imagine you go in expecting SO much out of it, thanks in part to the over hype of the car, only to find out it wasn't THAT much different from your current car. Not to mention after driving one I couldn't justify shelling out $25K for a MK4 period. That just me though for that type of coin I personally lean more towards the NSX.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
S.A. supra;1954381 said:

Being honest I'm one of your 5%. The 95% that would jump at a MKIV are the ones that bought a MKIII only because they couldn't afford a MKIV. I got the MKIII because I was torn between a MKII and a MKIII and just happened to find a MKIII first. The MKII was the 'better version' of the 85 Celica that was my 2nd car and the 1st car I chose on my own.