I miss the good old days

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Grandavi;2039783 said:
Im here as well.. and on Facebook although facebook is a whole mess of retards and a couple intelligent people. Identifying who's who isn't all that easy :D

I want my car to look like a MK3.. but perform like a Supra. Body mods (not massive like making it look like a corvette GTR or something silly) are good if it enhances the body lines imo. Engine mods are almost a necessity because we have had a quarter century to find the flaws of the 7M (1j/2jz people already know this.. lol). But the interior is good enough on its own as long as its intact. Im just switching to leather for fun and because it just enhances the car.

I think that there are only maybe 5-10 "survivor" MK3's worth "not driving" in the world. The rest should be enjoyed. They aren't likely to gain the status of the old American muscle cars.

The thing I like best about my car is that its not a car you see often and when you do.. you can pick it out of a crowd almost instantly. Never had anyone anywhere say anything negative while standing in front of my car.

Its hard enjoying these cars with the growing number of drunk drivers every day.....

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sside;2039784 said:
Its hard enjoying these cars with the growing number of drunk drivers every day.....

I disagree (at least in Canada). Our drunk driver problem is minimal but we are pretty severe with that here. The big problem here is the friggen texting drivers. OMG I hate them. One dead 87 MK3 out there because of this.. and believe me.. I watch everyone now.

They are worse than drunk drivers imo. Its like throwing a blind person into a car and letting them drive you around the city. And it isn't a "rare" event by any means now.

Sside;2039775 said:
Its an honest statement, the issues found and neglected on a younger person's supra or whatever he drives to get his rice fix is always going to put himself and other people in danger. Why are certain things neglected? One reason why is because money always becomes an issue with an older car so instead of investing on brakes a young kid will invest in an exhaust. Most young people driving supras or older cars tend to be poor because if they weren't they wouldn't be driving a 20+ year old car. Older guys who know what they are doing can afford a 20+ year old piece of Japanese motorsports heaven while the young kids just want to feel special because SUPRA despite the problems that the car can and will present. So yeah, I don't see how you can actually justify an older car combo with a broke kid who has yet to mature and make correct decisions in his life because if that kid actually had that ability he wouldn't have chosen a Supra as a daily.

On you never causing an accident, hmmm... Because you were lucky does not mean everyone out there driving will be. I see the list of cars you have and I cant possibly imagine that you bought those cars because you wanted to go the speed limit on your daily commute. I'm pretty sure you did some stupid a$$ things in every single one of those and never had an accident. I did pretty stupid things in my supra too but because I'm still alive I'm not gonna say its a perfect fit for an 18 yr old. ITS NOT... Its like you played russian roulette over and over and never got a bullet to the head, doesn't mean you were never at risk. Street racing happens and I don't care who the hell is behind the wheel, we all come across these situations and there is no holding back sometimes. But to put these faulty and old turbocharged machines into a young persons hands is going to always raise the risk of an accident...

Maybe all women should not drive and we should raise the driving limit to 30 that way drivers would be more responsible.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
From 16 to 18 I rat raced a 72 Toyota Corolla (1200 cc) through city streets (residential), drag raced cars with 4-6 times more power on highways.., (my max speed was 92 MPH), drove it on motor cross tracks and drove while drinking continuously. At about 18, I grew up a bit and stopped, but I had learned a lot of lessons...

Lost my license due to speeding tickets. It wasn't until I got my 80 Celica that I started to have accidents and that was due to lack of attention, never because of speed. (Okay... Once speed played a factor, but it was my failure to recognize a curve that led to it)

However, traffic was far less back then (1979 was when I got my license). Speed isn't usually what kills IMO. Lack of attention is. I lost no friends due to speeding.

Driving past your or your cars ability is guaranteed to cause an issue (I learned that), but not paying attention to rapidly changing situations is what catches us off gaurd. My most dangerous car situations have all been under the speed limit. I have only had one accident due to "too fast for road conditions which killed my 80 Celica...

Today's danger is people who trust their car far too much.

Melee_Falcon

Dec 3, 2013
Southern California
Some people just should not be behind the wheel of a car yet. People forget that driving on the roads is a privilege, not a right. My MK3 just got bumped into while I was STATIONARY. The sad part is that I was next to this guy long enough for him to realize that I existed and I even moved forward to see past his car and he moved forward also, so I have no idea why he'd attempt to make a right hand turn from a left lane while I was attempting to make a right turn from the proper lane. Luckily for me the insurance settled in my favor, neither of us were injured, and my car is repairable.

People are just plain stupid nowadays and feel that they are entitled to drive and ignore warnings like using phones or driving under influences of drugs or even speeding in hazardous areas or with passengers that aren't willing to go along with them.

I'm not going to say that I haven't had my share of speeding but I did it knowing my car's and my own limitations in mind as well as checking that area was mostly desolate but I never fell to outside pressures and I knew I didn't want to die. Even then, things can find a way to go bad, I lost my cousin last year because he was a passenger with his friend while they went for a spirited drive through a mountain road. They fell 800ft and died, and of course they were young and I saw their parents crying over the loss of their child, the future they could have had, all gone overnight. Young people will do reckless things but it's just the matter of will they live through it to realize how stupid they were or if they will keep at it until they come across some form of misfortune.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
GreenChevelleSS;2039789 said:
Maybe all women should not drive and we should raise the driving limit to 30 that way drivers would be more responsible.

That's NOT the point BRO.......... Its not that young people shouldn't drive its that young people and fast cars are not a good combination especially if the car is 20+ years old.... Come back at me when you have an intelligent argument...

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Sside;2039685 said:
Young people are poor, and terrible decision makers . These things do not help when owning a fairly quick car with hundreds of cheap modifiers that can make them go faster into the back of someone's car trying to keep up with their friends mustang. Young people and Supras are not a good mix, ever...

Sside;2039775 said:
Its an honest statement, the issues found and neglected on a younger person's supra or whatever he drives to get his rice fix is always going to put himself and other people in danger. Why are certain things neglected? One reason why is because money always becomes an issue with an older car so instead of investing on brakes a young kid will invest in an exhaust. Most young people driving supras or older cars tend to be poor because if they weren't they wouldn't be driving a 20+ year old car. Older guys who know what they are doing can afford a 20+ year old piece of Japanese motorsports heaven while the young kids just want to feel special because SUPRA despite the problems that the car can and will present. So yeah, I don't see how you can actually justify an older car combo with a broke kid who has yet to mature and make correct decisions in his life because if that kid actually had that ability he wouldn't have chosen a Supra as a daily.

On you never causing an accident, hmmm... Because you were lucky does not mean everyone out there driving will be. I see the list of cars you have and I cant possibly imagine that you bought those cars because you wanted to go the speed limit on your daily commute. I'm pretty sure you did some stupid a$$ things in every single one of those and never had an accident. I did pretty stupid things in my supra too but because I'm still alive I'm not gonna say its a perfect fit for an 18 yr old. ITS NOT... Its like you played russian roulette over and over and never got a bullet to the head, doesn't mean you were never at risk. Street racing happens and I don't care who the hell is behind the wheel, we all come across these situations and there is no holding back sometimes. But to put these faulty and old turbocharged machines into a young persons hands is going to always raise the risk of an accident...

I agree with you for the most part, most young people are dumb, and make bad decisions. But I think the point that GreenChevelleSS and myself are saying is that not all young people like myself are. There are a few of us that are actually intelligent and can see the consequences. Not many of us, but there are a few. I'm one of them, but I can see that most of my "peers" are not...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Actually, I'd say that Facebook has been the death of the Off Topic areas of the forum... and I'd also say, good riddance.

Other than that, both serve mostly different purposes. Search on FB sucks worse than Supraforums. ;) So, anything that needs archived, searchable information is better off on the forums. On the other hand, here we index a lot of crap that we don't need to. Any conversation that we'd rather not have lurking around a month from now is better off on FB.

As for the young / old / stupid / wise debate... in my experience, people are people, and no generation has had an exclusive on dumb. We all get a little less tolerant as we get old, though, and we really, *really* don't want to think that our generation was quite as silly as the new one looks. For the most part, we're wrong, of course.

PS: A lot of the folks here are seasonal - they'll be working on the car in the winter, so they'll be here, and driving it in the summer, so they are gone. I'm guilty of that a lot myself!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Facebook sucks for anything other than the odd "connection". Full of trolls and juvenile people hiding behind a keyboard. Misinformation galore.

Why?

Imagine the world without any police.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Nick M;2039973 said:
It is why the left pushes the MTV voting campaigns.

Keep partisan political crap out of car threads, maybe?
I don't know if you know this, but... both of our two shitty parties have an awful track record of bringing people who are too stupid to be voting out to the polls, usually with divisive social issues. Then when either side gets in to office, they do their campaign financiers bidding, not the constituents'.
If you think "your side" represents *your* best interests... well, that's cute.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
miekedmr;2039983 said:
Keep partisan political crap out of car threads, maybe?
I don't know if you know this, but... both of our two shitty parties have an awful track record of bringing people who are too stupid to be voting out to the polls, usually with divisive social issues. Then when either side gets in to office, they do their campaign financiers bidding, not the constituents'.
If you think "your side" represents *your* best interests... well, that's cute.

It's all about money and keeping the majority just happy enough not to turn on you. If you can't keep the population happy... Keep then weak.

That's world politics in a nutshell and my comment for the day :)

Boosted MK3

Jul 6, 2013
Forest Hill, MD
I've been signed up on SF since about 09, and don't honestly remember when I signed up here, I think it was when I met a local MK3 guy who told me about this site, but I mostly lurk due to most information being available through searching. Another big thing that keeps me as a lurker is being a young kid and feeling as though my car isn't nearly as nice as a lot on here. The older crowd also tends to have some hostility towards young-ins, which is understandable as most of my generation is a bunch of ass hats, but there is some good ones in us.

As for young people not being good drivers or being irresponsible (was touched on a few pages back) my first car was a 1966 Mustang Coupe with a cammed out 289, 185 width tires on the front and 315 radials on the back. No PS, PB, shit wasn't even disk breaks, old sloppy suspension, and a fully locked diff; I daily drove that bitch through MD winters with heavy snow and ice. My point being driving skill and driving responsibly entirely depends on the individual person, not their age, not their car.