I miss the good old days

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
It just seems like nothing new is posted anymore. Everyone seems to have sold their supra, and moved on. either that or they're just being quiet.

I tried being a part of the face book group... But they're just a metric ton of ass hats over there. What's going on??

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I think a lot of us are still here, but there aren't as many new members and some of the older ones don't get on as much anymore. The forum has slowed down, but I think there are also less stupid posts now then when I first joined years ago. These cars are just getting older and there's less of them around now. Kinda sad, but true.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Maxburn.. the whole forum goes silent for a year between iccs? Lol

And silver mk3 I guess they are classics now. There's nothing new to be figured out with them.. you just build em and have fun. Although I still do like seeing a creative build lol

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Backlash2032;2038735 said:
I tried being a part of the face book group... But they're just a metric ton of ass hats over there. What's going on??

Social media is one of the worst things ever thought up. Facebook sucks, so no surprise there.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
And my car is put away for the winter. It will be back around April, unless there is a lot of late winter early spring snow.

schmuckingham

Dec 12, 2014
OHIOWN
I dont use Facebook anymore and prefer forums, usually delta bravos are run off from forums very quickly compared to FB. I am trying to be active on this forum and post constant pictures of my build even if it isn't interesting

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
The forum has slowed down a lot, but the quality of each post and build thread has improved dramatically. Look at the builds right now, there are a lot of very clean cars, well executed builds, and an explosion of restorations. Give it a little time, and SM is going to remain the landing zone for quality MKIIIs and owners.

Winter certainly doesn't help things, I haven't even looked at my car since late October when I put it in storage.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I log on every day. on the work computer and home computer and lerk on both SF and SM. They are not anywhere near as active as a year or two ago even. Its sad, but the facebook groups are killing us here. I don't post like I used to, but there are also not as many new topics to post on as there were before.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
The way I've always seen it, SM for the MKIII crowd and SF for the MKIV crowd. I think it still holds true. Just look at the MKIII FS forum over at SF. Like maybe 2 new threads a week. Not much activity at all

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Both SM and SF are down on web traffic compared to 4-5 years ago. I can already see that MKIIIs are turning into "classic" cars compared to 5 years ago. Not many people are pushing huge power numbers out of them or building them into track cars and a lot are starting to restore them and bring them back to their former GT glory.

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
emericaskater285;2038791 said:
I log on every day. on the work computer and home computer and lerk on both SF and SM. They are not anywhere near as active as a year or two ago even. Its sad, but the facebook groups are killing us here. I don't post like I used to, but there are also not as many new topics to post on as there were before.
+1 I mostly lurk but have noticed these two forums slow down. But FB has tons of action but with tons of noobs. SF half those guys sold their supras for r35's

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
I've been a daily lurker on SM since I got my car 5 years ago. I don't post a lot because most of the answers to my questions can be found by searching. Almost 10 years of threads produces a whole lot of results. I've had quite a few issues getting my car back on the road but if SM didn't exist, I would have given up long ago. It's a shame the pre-2005 information was lost as there was probably a lot of good info in there. I belong to some of the FB groups, but it's a bunch of idiots and people posting old Supra pictures I've seen many times before. I never would have learned as much as I have if I had to rely on FB for my info. I like going back through the build threads to give me some inspiration, not possible on FB. I lurk on SF as well, but definitely very little activity so I only log on every few days. I also find much better MK3 info here than on SF.

Melee_Falcon

Dec 3, 2013
Southern California
I actually prefer the forums much more but usually the questions I had were able to be answered by searching through threads. The only time I post questions is when the information is either very old or very sparse coverage. I have used the Facebook groups but yes, there are many inconsiderate people and it's much different than maybe a harsh but true statement like you get around here. For example, I posted a picture of a multimeter reading and all everybody saw was my cheap ass Harbor Freight multimeter, and yes, I know it's not even close to being the best but I"m not looking to be a master technician, I'm just a regular guy trying to learn. That and I'd rather invest my money in quality parts than buy cheap, questionable quality stuff, I've learned and sometimes it's better to pay more for peace of mind.

I'd post what I've documented on my MK3 restoration, but I'm not quite sure it would be interesting seeing how I don't have much progress at the moment. And none of stuff has to do with awesome things going on in the engine bay, I still think my bay looks like crap compared to what I see here on SM lol. Although I'd have to say that SM is absolutely vital information center for MK3s and it seems much more organized than SF's MK3 section also.

Also most new owners never even look through forums and ask their questions on Facebook and I hate how interesting information gets lost easily through the damned newsfeeds...

bgill

Feb 13, 2015
Toronto
It's the new generation. Look at my join date and post count. I've lurked SF and SM for years as I've owned my Supra for about 3 and 1/2 years now but searching the forums had provided me all the information I've ever needed. As the generations get younger and younger and these cars are cheaper, more young people are getting into these cars. I for one prefer forums for the long informative threads but majority of people in my age group prefer social media. I see more "build threads" (more like just pics of updates) on FB/instagram as it's more convenient post on from their phones than it is to post on forums. I lurk forums while I'm at work on a computer, can't really remember the last time I opened my laptop or computer at home to "surf the internet," only when I'm in the middle of doing something on my car and I get stuck so I'll fire it up to search for some answers as it's a PIA or search on phones.

Most of my friends and probably majority of our generation is more into drifting than previous generations (atleast people who aren't afraid to drive their cars) and a lot of kids just buy dollar store rims and Ebay intakes and go to car meets. I've noticed the hate on SF and SM towards stupid suspension set ups and wheels that don't fit without camber, hence I don't care to make a build thread as majority of you will think it's stupid having 17x9.5+12 rims with 245/40 (which is considered a "meaty" set up compared to my IS300 which has 18x9.5 with 215/35 on the fronts) with 2* of negative camber all around, and the people who will like it probably aren't on forums anyway. The older generation is more the "do a proper build" type (which I agree with as well) and probably like drag racing and autox more that scraping side skirts on the floor while sliding sideways. I chose a MKIII to be different, although I have seen a couple driving around, no one I know personally has one in my area and have yet to see one at a local event. Nissan 240's are the Honda Civics of drifting so our generation is leaning more towards them as they are cheaper and parts cost next to nothing with huge ongoing aftermarket support, key word being ongoing. My friends source parts so easily for their cars while I have to turn the internet upside down to find parts for a 1JZ MKIII and am limited to a few stores or go custom. I'm not saying there isn't any support, just not the variety other chassis have, I have a choice of like 2 different $1000 exhaust manifolds for the 1JZ while you can find 10 different SR20 manifolds for like $500. Kids just don't want to spend the money the older crowd did on their cars as they spend more money on partying/eating out/chasing girls and don't want to spend the time uploading pics to a forum. The ones I know who have build threads on forums all are on 240sx forums.

Another person mentioned that the older people are getting into R35's and such, same holds true for any generation. I've noticed my friends who all started with 240's in their late teens now have moved onto more "expensive" cars such as IS300/FRS/BRZ/STI in their mid 20's. Also, I think the discontinuation of the Supra as apposed to Nissan continuing the Skyline has to do with the lack of interest in the Supra as the Skyline fan boys still have something to look forward to as they jump from older generations of the vehicle to the newer generations. MKIII Supra owners jump to MKIV when they can afford it but nothing to look forward to afterwards, the few that stay are the true MKIII fans, such as true Skyline R32 fans. R34 Skylines are starting to get imported to Canada now due to them being old enough (not sure of US import laws) and it's keeping their hype alive as it's something "new", atleast to North America it is. MKIII and MKIV Supras are old news now, nothing to look forward to unless you want to dish out half a million for an LFA. There's very little association today between "Toyota" and "sports cars." I love Toyota to death, but after walking into a Lexus dealership and to have them saying no new Lexus will be manufactured with a manual transmission (other than the IS250) is a big disappointment and other companies again kicking their ass in this category of "fun cars." The FRS is bringing a little bit of attention back to Toyota, but it's also new so dishing out $25K for a new car and the "not fully grown" aftermarket support limits the crowd as well and the relationship between the name "Toyota" and "sports cars" remains non-existent so people are forgetting Supras.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
JDMMA70;2039490 said:
I am still here...

Me too. I bought my first Supra in '04. I lurked for a year, then joined SF. Another year went by and I joined SM and never looked back at SF. Kind of. LoL. I may not be doing a 100% restore, but I guess I'll get around to making another build thread...