high powered NA!

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Well until I see proof, I don't believe it. I would hope to have 185 rwhp with my mods when I was NA and I had a bit more than him.

Tanya, my hard drive crashed on my server :(. EVERYTHING was lost, HD shop couldn't repair it. Allllllll my files including my car pics, are gone, all my records, everything, gone. :(

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Tanya said:
There is a race prepped 6MGE in Australia making 240whp. Don't see why a 7M couldn't do a wee bit better.

The rest of your post was pretty good, but I wanted to add to this. The 7M head flows much better than a 6M. Evidenced by those turbo kits that aren't making good power with good turbos and plenty of boost. So a turbo 7M should do much better, not a wee bit.

My NA is bone stock and pulls like a mother, once it hits 4000.

Sounds like the ACIS is not working. The car will be sluggish until about 4000 RPM due to cam timing and intake manifold design.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Nick M said:
The rest of your post was pretty good, but I wanted to add to this. The 7M head flows much better than a 6M. Evidenced by those turbo kits that aren't making good power with good turbos and plenty of boost. So a turbo 7M should do much better, not a wee bit.

Well I didn't want to put ideas into someones head that they could push a crazy amount of HP in n/a, cause it's not going to happen. Saying 250-280whp is a much more realistic expectation IMO. 100hp per liter should be doable.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
This is where i get confused. If I can get near to 240bhp out of a 1979 Ford Capri's 3.0 essex V6 engine that redlines at 5250rpm, why cant a 3 litre straight 6 push out near to 300bhp?

Theres one thing i'd suggest that might get shot down in flames though - dump the Toyota's EFI system completely.

Get a throttle body manifold - and three jenvey DCNF's/DCOE's, plug them into something like the Megasquirt or the MBE-941 ECU (not Mercedes Benz, these people: http://www.btwebworld.co.uk/mbesystems/specs.html )

Raise the compression to 10.5:1, there are already solid lifters, so they dont need to be changed - what next - just cams?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Kai said:
This is where i get confused. If I can get near to 240bhp out of a 1979 Ford Capri's 3.0 essex V6 engine that redlines at 5250rpm, why cant a 3 litre straight 6 push out near to 300bhp?

V6s are made more for hp, inline 6s for durability.

Nothing wrong with dumping EFI, the 2000GTs 2.0 liter made 150hp with triple Weber carbs, and I think 200hp in race trim.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Inline 6's are better i thought for smooth power delivery - and if BMW can make extreme power from an Inline-6..... :D

See, i know that carbs are now illegal to use in new applications, and aftermarket, barring replacement of faulty pre-existing ones. Thats what i like about throttle bodies, all the benefit of carbs, with none of their drawbacks :)

Last edited:

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Didnt someone in the forums make 300-250 hp in his N/A? I cant remember where I read it...I think it was a while back on SOGI...

I think 300-350hp is possible on NA Supra..I mean I have seen 4age 1.8liter and 2.0 liter 4 cylinder motors put out 300 hp without turbo. so why cant the N/A Supra do it?

Cheers,
Roy

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Dean Marcum went the farthest, breaking a 13.9 in the 1/4 mile. Tremendous amount of time and $ put into that engine. Don't recall the horsepower but it couldn't have been too high. Boost the 7mge if you want big results.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Dexter_n2o said:
He says it pulls after 4krpm
ACIS is the modern name for what Toyota calls Intake Air System in the TSRM. Acoustic control induction system. It is simply a way to have a variable tuned intake manifold.

And if it quits working he will lose torque below 4000-4500 RPM. The butterly type valve will be in the open position. Vaccum closes the valve. And when the vaccum switching valve sticks, the manifold will always be in high rpm mode.

Dean Marcum went the farthest, breaking a 13.9 in the 1/4 mile. Tremendous amount of time and $ put into that engine. Don't recall the horsepower but it couldn't have been too high. Boost the 7mge if you want big results
And then he turbocharged the high compression 7MGE and didnt blow the OEM style headgasket.

For the record, 9.2:1 compression ratio is not too high for boost. Toyota drops compression due to the cast piston. Forged just would have cost more money, and possible made the engine nosiy.

One more thing, a V engine is done for space consideration. And in the end, it depends on whose book you are reading to see if a V or inline produces more power. Diesel engineers like inline becuase of the manifold advantage in a turbocharged application.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
DEFIANT 7M said:

cause I said so, duhh :icon_razz

My point was, and is, if you are inpatient, discourage easily or don't have a sense of realistic hp numbers with your particular budget, I wouldn't take the n/a route.

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
Tanya said:
cause I said so, duhh :icon_razz

My point was, and is, if you are inpatient, discourage easily or don't have a sense of realistic hp numbers with your particular budget, I wouldn't take the n/a route.
Okay, I can deal with that:icon_bigg

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
all this talk of NA tuning is making wanna barf, if ya want a "powerful" NA buy a trans am or a vette, and I can't believe I heard a member of this forum actually say "I don't wanna have to go turbo" WTF my ears are still bleeding from that, doesn't want the lag, well build a good turbo setup with a medium sized quick spooling turbo, besides lag is only for 1st and maybe part of 2nd gear anyways so get over it the power it makes is worth the wait..

"TURBO LAG IS LIKE FOREPLAY IT MAKES THE EXPIRIENCE HARDER, BETTER, AND LOUDER"