high powered NA!

redmkiii

Bluemkiii's Big brother
Mar 9, 2006
arizona
Hey IJ, so the GT30 with a .63ar boosts instantly? Do you need a custom mani and dp? How much boost does that set up hold? Thanks.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Yeah pretty much. Rebuilding a 7M-GE with turbo pistons you might as well just do the motor swap. Or a 1JZ.

What are your goals? There are a couple of different levels of "max n/a hp"

Leaving the engine internals stock and just doing bolt-ons so its easy to smog, 10-15hp most likely.

Rebuilding the engine for the purpose of high HP, your budget it the limit pretty much.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
redmkiii said:
Hey IJ, so the GT30 with a .63ar boosts instantly? Do you need a custom mani and dp? How much boost does that set up hold? Thanks.

http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/garrettgt3076r.html

Thats just the turbo. To get the most out of it you will want an upgraded mani/dp, if not need. Then you will need new fuel control because the stock it totally inadequate to handle the power you can make. The turbo will hold more boost more than your engine will! So, go shopping. I don't doubt that setup would cost in the neighborhood of 2K+.

RIPDOTCOM

May 22, 2005
Tallahassee, FL
Had to jump in here. Basic Bolt ons net pretty good gains. I have the following done to mine and plan on a couple more things in the future

Doug thorley Headers
2.5" Header back with test pipe
3" CAI
14' Timing
FAL Fans
PCV Rerout to Catchcan
EGR disabled
Electronic Ground Stabilizer
10mm NGK Wires

I figure an Underdrive Pulley and thermostat mod will just about do it for me(until that clutch needs replacing then its aluminum driveshaft and lightweight flywheel). Just set realistic expectations. If I dyno 200-205 at the wheels I will be more than happy.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
n/a internal will hold the same as the turbo internals, any of the na-t that have done it right have made power well into the 400's with just a mhg on the engine and supreme tuning.Noneed in opening up the engine unless u really have to, i know im not when it gets time for me to go na-t

K Spec

May 14, 2006
San Diego
MKIII N00b said:
oh em ef gee, so this is going to run more than a swap huh?
Don't listen to all this, "go turbo" kookes. My NA is bone stock and pulls like a mother, once it hits 4000. If you are that hell bent on neck breaking power, quit posting here and buy a GTO. They're nice cars, LS2 and the rear comes out, beautifully. How does that sound?
I bought my NA Supra, because it's a beautiful car and I really believe in it. I know it's going to cost a bundle to mod, but I think it's worth it. Is it worth it to you?

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
deng tough question. if i have the money then yeah. but im just stuck damnit this is a pointless thread, i might as well go turbo because ive been thinking of staying NA or going boosted, for all the money and what not i guess im going turbo. but thats when i get the money =]]] maybe 3 years?

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
It will be easier to swap the engine to a turbo or do a bolt on turbo to get power but you can make power with an N/a it will just cost you more. If you haven't seen Defiant7M's thread take a look at an (expensive) possibility. Going Na-t isn't too hard, I would however pull apart the block and make sure everything is good before you start, easier to do it all at once then to do it twice.

Last edited:

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
K Spec said:
Don't listen to all this, "go turbo" kookes. My NA is bone stock and pulls like a mother, once it hits 4000. If you are that hell bent on neck breaking power, quit posting here and buy a GTO. They're nice cars, LS2 and the rear comes out, beautifully. How does that sound?
I bought my NA Supra, because it's a beautiful car and I really believe in it. I know it's going to cost a bundle to mod, but I think it's worth it. Is it worth it to you?

hahah that has got to be some of the worst advice ever. How much is a new GTO, or a pre-owned for that matter? $30,000? He could swap a 7M-GTE or a 1JZ and with a few mods be faster that that POS GM for a fraction of the cost.

Dexter_n2o

PreludeBoy
Oct 15, 2005
Greensboro, NC
www.preludepower.com
Fuzz420 said:
n/a internal will hold the same as the turbo internals, any of the na-t that have done it right have made power well into the 400's with just a mhg on the engine and supreme tuning.Noneed in opening up the engine unless u really have to, i know im not when it gets time for me to go na-t
Is this absolutely confirmed?

astigracing

Feb 5, 2006
cALIFORNIA
www.astigracing.com
my old '90 n/a made 227hp.

the mods were:
port and polished the head and intake manifold
ngk plugs
msd 8mm plug wires
cold air intake
pacesetter header
hks catback exhaust
gutted cat

i think that's all of it...sold the car four years ago.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
227 at the wheels? Stock cams? What size pipe on the HKS exhaust? Did you mod the Pacesetters? Stock timing, stock fuel control?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ohhh my...... ;)
interesting discussion guys!

GT30R Is T3 flanged so you'll need an adaptor to use it with a stock manifold (you'd need this anyway as it has the Big Compressor cover)

The difference going Turbo is the amount of headroom you gain, with a modded NA when you're done you're done there's no-where left to go, with a Turbo you can always dial some more boost in if you've laid the ground work.

Something like the GT30 mentioned at 5>10 psi on an NA short block with a good head gasket is going to romp away from all but the most heavily modded NA 7M.

There's NOTHING wrong with tweaking your NA to get the best from it as long as you realise it's a bit of a dead end due to limited AM support, I'd suggest at the bare minimum getting it running correctly first as the basics are so often overlooked with the 7M ending in disaster.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
K Spec said:

NA supras do not pull like a mother.